1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accidents

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by varunrtr, May 30, 2011.

1. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Sorry...No more details available.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes it looks really bad. But if Im right, nobody had an injury
  2. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks for sharing the pics Kailas.

Let me give a brief description of the incident. A Fiat Linea and Tata 407 were involved in a head on collision on the Mangalore - Udupi National Highway. Regular users of this particular stretch of roads can vouch for how rashly the vehicles are driven here, especially the private buses who are always in a race amongst each other, completely disobeying traffic rules.

According to the locals who gathered at the spot, the front 2 passengers of the Linea came away unscathed, BECAUSE they were wearing seat belts. However, another passenger in the rear seat, who presumably was not wearing belts, suffered serious injuries.

Got an update from Team BHP (by one of the close colleague of the car's owner) that the rear seat passenger is now out of danger and that their daughter who was sitting on the lap of the co passenger suffered burns from the Airbag mechanism, but not too serious.

But lets just appreciate the build quality of this car here. The Airbags deployed as usual, the pedals stayed where they're supposed to be, the crumple zones performed brilliantly by absorbing the impact and leaving the driver's area almost intact. We've seen many "popular", "bestseller" etc. etc. cars being crushed like tin cans here, but while Fiats may not be having the best resale value, better services, better FE among many others, perform splendidly when it comes to crash worthiness. This incident is a testimony to this fact.

I sincerely hope the owner's family recovers immediately and put their money on a brand new Linea just like the other incident many years ago where a Linea came under the wheels of a tipper.
    11 people like this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You have summarized pretty well. This is what I used to tell people when they question about the resale value of Fiat's. I clearly reply them back that I consider the loss in resale as the premium paid towards the better safety of the occupants.
    5 people like this.
  4. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    One thing we all must learn from this accident is that we must insist the rear seat passengers to wear seat belt. Though we all are concerned about the safety, Im sure nobody of us ask the rear seat passenger to wear seat belt. Lucky that in this case no causalities happened. And thanks to our love, Fiat :)
    1 person likes this.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    in addition to this, we should use child seat for kids!
    1 person likes this.
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    in favour of this. However, my daughter refuses to sit on it.
  7. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    The value of resale for Linea (any Fiat) is that you are still alive to write this post even after driving thousands of KMs on Indian Highways. Priceless!!

I LOVE MY LINEA.

-Arun.
    8 people like this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    not a valid enough reason limraj. i have heard this reason umpteen number of times from so many people. i am sure we do not agree to everything what our kids say then why should we agree to this one which is about the safety of our kids.

i am sure any kid who refuses to sit on a child seat initially and is forced to sit on one, would cry one or two (or maybe more) times but would eventually accept it. after all it was our responsibility to make them sit on it from the very beginning.

its ironic that some people use 'baby on board' sign, indirectly requesting other road users to be careful but do not care to use a child seat themselves. i feel like telling them, why should others care for your baby when you yourself don't?
    i know i am being a little blatant here but I am sure all of us understand that its for the safety of our loved ones.
    GP_Freak, pdydeva, teky and 3 others like this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Very valid argument shams, good points there. Anyways limraj atleast has the thing and asks his daugter to sit on it.

I have seen much worst in Metros, in which way the so called educated carry their infants in cars.
    The worst is many argue that it is safe if an adult is accompanying (that somehow makes it safe enough) in their heads. :(
    In an accident there is hardly any time to react for self, least for others, including kids.

Booster seat for growing kids. Story..

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    3 people like this.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Holy Cow!! I hope Tata 407 occupants are safe. FIATs seem to love ramming into Tata Trucks or wot:confused:
    Every time FIAT saves a few lives, I feel happy. After watching Linea vs Tata 407 photo's, Threads like which car should i buy... Linea or ABC, Punto or DEF appears Hilarious!! Pls don't be offended, if we don't consider other strong points of FIAT, FIAT cars are BEST solely on the basis of their Safety and built. If you are aware, don't think twice before buying a FIAT.

That's what I mean when I say Euro N CAP or other safety crash test doesn't give real world picture. A car@58 km/hr colliding into a stationary block merely contains it's own kinetic impact. That's why Swift/i20.... 5 star Euro N Cap are rubbish.Take this case for instance, it appears to be a high speed head-on crash. Can you imagine what momentum and kinetic impact Linea is subjected to here??? The other object is much heavier (a light weight Truck & hopefully not loaded!!) and at some considerable speed. Let us have no doubt, were it any other car, it would have been hell of a tough job to know what brand or style it is (I mean hatchback/sedan/SUV/Convertible...).

I know people say that VW/Skoda are tough cars... huh, really? I think if all Cars were FIAT, At least SUVs and Medium Sized trucks would have been afraid of the cars running around them because Ramming into a car threaten their life too:D.
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    3 people like this.