1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by varunrtr, May 30, 2011.

1. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    I Suspect its not a double crank system failure , because there is a proven theory that when a car gets stopped in between tracks , the engine wont get started while the train is near us , this is due to the high voltage which switches off the complete car down . i am not able to recollect but i have studied this
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Are you talking about the electrified section. If yes, then the Bangalore-Shimoga line is not electrified yet. How does this high voltage theory be applied in such case.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
    3 people like this.
  3. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Isn't it also a failure on the fiats sales person part for not explaining the bare minimum critical features which are different from other cars??

Sent from my Nexus 4
  4. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Guys hold on. This is posted by me on tb. I tired to post here also, but due to some error, I couldn't upload it here on that day. Later I forgot.

This double crank protection and all is not media speculation, it is my speculation only, I doubt if media can speculate to that extent. Only a FIAT (for that matter even FORD) owners can do that. Do you people agree? Nobody will read the complete user manual initially. In my case I learnt it by myself about this feature.

That day I got call from my friend from native place Sagar, Shimoga Dist about this accident. Didn't know which car, but was told that " they put on AC, talking on the mobile, tired to cross the junction". Onlookers tried to stop them by shouting, they didn't stop. Car got stalled after the hump, he could not start". They showed the pictures in the Kannada news, I could roughly make out from the alloys that its Punto, but no concrete news.

Later I received these 2 photos on whatsapp, also got to know that its just less than a month old car. I know that guy, he definitely didn't had FIAT or FORD before, to know about double crank protection. So based on this I thought its might be because of double crank protection system as it happens to every new driver. If he knew also he might have panicked that moment.

As I mentioned in that report, instead of taking normal route which had manned crossing, he choose this to reach home early. He didn't wear a seat belt, I feel it could have saved him for sure since cabin part is intact, also train was not at its full speed, since Sagar station was just 5 mins from this spot and trains gradually gain speed after this. He died on the spot due to the impact on his temple. No other injuries nowhere to his body. This is quite a straight stretch, no one will miss easily.

May his soul R.I.P :(

Just to add, main reason were,

1) Taking on the phone while driving, that too near unmanned railway cross
    2) Not checking for the oncoming train, definitely he was sure that there is a train going towards Shimoga at that time.
    3) Not wearing seat belt. This definitely would have saved him.
    4) Double crank protection might not be a reason, but he had chance of 1:99 % of saving his life.
    5) Probably stupidest of all - error in judging trains speed which he should not have.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Just to add, in tb post I was mentioning about this double crank prevention, but I was not pinpointing this for the accident, as told by someone earlier. I just mentioned it along with other possible causes.

I was deeply hurt because a) It was FIAT and b) I knew this guy, we used to buy medicines from his shop regularly. That couple even attended my marriage function in April 2011, when he gifted me one Spinz perfume, which is still there with me :(
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  5. Anup

Anup Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi sreedhara_bj,

Good to see the Owner of the Original post on TFi... We aren't speculating anything out here, we are just trying to get to the possible cause of the Accident.
    As far as I have seen on Media, this is the Second Fiat getting in front of a Train.
    The First was a Fern Green Palio back in 2009 here in Bangalore, the cause of the Accident was the car's rear right tire got stuck in between the tracks (The car had ran for more than 6 years with the same stock tire B250). It was a ELX model, so No Airbag yet the couple survived the accident, the driver(husband) suffererd light bruises and was in complete shock and the Passenger(wife) suffered bruises over her forehead because of the Shattered windshield and also was in a great shock.

However with this, it was unfortunate to see First an Accident and Second involving our Beloved Punto....

There can only 2 reasons either the driver didn't see the Oncoming train or had Stalled the car, the tires getting stuck is highly unlikely considering the tire would be less than a year old.

The Emphasis is on making sure new Fiat users are aware of the feature of Double Crank Prevention and be sure no one panics and forgets this feature and also be sure the tires are changed when the tire shows signs of aging which can be thread loss or hardening of the tires.

We have couple of Railway crossing (Both Manned and Unmanned) in cities, request all the members to do the due diligence before proceeding.

I hope this makes some sense.....
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    For the record, there were these manned railway crossings in suburbs at Mumbai, before they were stopped completey by railway authorities post flyover constructions. It was fairly common sight by the way for the cars to get stalled due to rail and road paving level differences. Cars used to halt this way all the time due to slow acceleration, wrong grear and interference by jaywalking pedestrians criss-crossing between traffic gaps or handcarts and cyclists etc., just the way it happens on speed bumps or speed breakers. Manned crossing operators, line of sight by slow trains halted on stations and electronics is what kept things going terribly wrong for cars atleast. Express trains have even less time to react and nothing can be done even if the train engine driver sees it somehow from a mile or two.
  7. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Linea 1.3
    Perfect asimpleson. I am a rail fan and I know how difficult it is to spot any object on the track even a mile before. But as you rightly pointed out, the LP (loco pilot) as the engine drivers are called cannot do anything when piloting an express train due to the speed of travel and the weight it pulls. A sudden brake is not possible (only slow breaking over a period of time) lest it would cause a major accident. So in most of the cases, the train just rams into the object.
  8. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Fiat Linea head on Collision with Tata 407!

Here are few pics shared by Rohitunga in Facebook. Resharing it here.

Head on collision between a Fiat Linea and a Tata 407 occurred on the Mangalore - Udupi National Highway...Another testimony of Fiat's legendary build quality. Both front passengers walked away without a scratch.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg
    Masum Reza and zenwalker like this.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Any more details available on how it happened and what all?
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Tata 407's front too looks pretty bad. hope its occupants survived the accident.