1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accidents

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by varunrtr, May 30, 2011.

1. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    That's very unfortunate. May the lady recover quickly.
    Regarding the Double Crank prevention,all the SA's(at least 2-3) with whom I interacted before buying told me about this feature.

But this is sad, if the report is true, then this accident occurred due to one of the safety feature installed in car.
  2. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Sad to know about the accident.

May be the car driver didn't notice the approaching train before proceeding to cross the track and got stuck due to a stalled engine. The cabin damage doesn't look so bad to kill someone unless the occupants were not wearing seat belts.

While the double crank prevention is an engine safety feature, incidents like these prompt for a better design of the same. Instead of the physical protection in the key barrel, there must be a dynamic way of achieving this by failing ignition if the engine is already ON and prompt the driver with a message and a beep.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Oh my god. that was a horrible accident.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    unmanned railway crossing..?

Very tragic, double crank prevention may have sealed their fate or the driver's fate :( but it was an error of judgement in the first place that the car should cross a live railway track. Railway crossings as we know are high hazard and a place of fatality for thousands of such accidents. I wonder if this one was unmanned.

Anyways, a kiss by a train engine even at slow speed is enough to topple and throw a car quarter mile away. Such are the extreme forces at work in these type of accidents. It is evident that the engine driver applied his brakes to avoid but it was too little too late.
  5. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I wonder who told that this happened due to double crank prevention.... just based on media speculation's as unfortunately the driver is no more to say this and co passenger is very critical

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It was quite possible that the car stalled, and a few seconds of cranking if you think carefully could have made the difference. Technically that is possible. The older system of instant start could have saved them, at the cost of some damage to the starter or mechanicals..:confused

There are fundamental human errors at play here as I mentioned earlier, but imagine the plight of the driver who is caught in such a situation, possibly even in future.
    2 people like this.
  7. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    How difficult was it to open the door and jump if he is not able to crank in few secs.
    All we can say is It was just his fate!

When it has to go wrong it will go wrong no matter what you do!
    2 people like this.
  8. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Tragic news indeed- RIP poor soul. I suspect double cranking is a media speculation and these guys write whatever comes into their mind.
    One thing is for sure that the Punto was at the wrong place at the wrong time, there would have been some or the other reason why the car got stalled there.
    Unfortunately we dont have Data Recorders or Voice recorders to do an accident investigation.
    But this should be a lesson learnt on crossing an unmanned level crossing, no other urgency is as important as ones life, the solution would just be to practice "watch and go"
    I have seen the surface of many of the level crossing will have loose stones/interlocks which easily can cause the car to be stalled especially if we are on the wrong gear.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    It is indeed sad. One does sympathize with the victims, but it would be foolish to blame the manufacturer or the sales personnel.
    All manufacturers carry strict instructions that the driver has to read the Owner's manual before operation, but with typical callousness, we stash the book at the back of our drawers and happily start using the vehicle.
    2 people like this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Precisely what I mean by human error, there just wasn't enough time to react for a second action. The car stops, the driver tries frantically, next before he could decide to get out of the car the train is too close. No one can blame the train but the railway authorities for such unmanned crossings. The point is there are safegaurds necessary at various levels to avoid such tragedies and agreed that there is one in a million chance of things going this bad.

This was a error in judgement that has serious consequences as happens hundreds of times at railway crossings everywhere in India.

:(
    1 person likes this.