1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accidents

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by varunrtr, May 30, 2011.

1. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Thank you for throwing some light on this, Volvo will invariably take the blame for this as there is a minister involved in this incident. I have seen some Volvo buses doing a around 110 -120 kmph with 8 lights ( Yes, 3 on each side plus 2 more fog lights these guys fit). I am just wondering if these electrical modifications would also have something to do with these fires.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Is it possible that whoever buys volvo buses tampers the speed governor?

A bangalore bound bus was caught at around seven different places in kerala for overspeeding (at 150kmph). I could not believe that a bus could manage such speeds on our roads. I heard that the bus owner paid some 24 lakhs as fine and walked out.
    I do agree that most of the accidents are the result of human errors and then we always find fault with the machine that can be no better than the one who controls it!
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Private bus operators tend to disable speed governors to shorten trip timings. They also indulge in aftermarket light fittings, employ untrained drivers, etc. Sadly, no manufacturer has any control over this. All that they can do is deny warranty. It is up to the enforcement agencies to curb this menace. Technically, passenger transport buses are only permitted to carry passengers and their luggage. However, these buses are known to carry plenty of other cargo, including two wheelers. Also, private players tend to use a single driver for overnight trips and driver fatigue is also a cause. Not to mention that some such drivers like to consume alcohol, so that they can drive faster with less apprehension.

The OE wires used by Volvo are fire-retardant, meaning they will burn, but a lot more slowly.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

MSRTC and APTDC B7Rs racing at 125km/h.

I was told Volvos on the Bang-Hyd route stop and pickup a couple of passengers at the Anantapur bypass and accomadate them in the "bench behind the driver. They get to pay a song, and no tickets are issued to them.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
  6. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Portrayed in the video:
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    These buses are capable of a top speed of in excess of 200 kmph. The 9400XL, the top end, multi-axle bus, offered in India outputs 340 HP at 1900 RPM with 1600 nM torque available through 1100 to 1500 rpm range. It takes a lot of responsibility to keep that kind of power leashed.

However, in any of the brochures / catalogs, Volvo never mentions top speed. Top speed is always mentioned as "100 kmph (recommended)"

Rajan
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Rajan, there is a reason the KSRTC Volvos stick to 80-100 kmph speeds. Their incentives and variable pay depends largely on their FE, it seems.
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    As this bus belongs to National Travels its owner an MLA has declared 5 lakhs to the deceased and Chief minister has declared 1 Lakh and free treatment to the injured, i didn't see any news of relief given to the Jabber incident victims.. :-(
  10. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013