1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accidents

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by varunrtr, May 30, 2011.

1. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I will quote my experience : i was driving to Mysore from Bangalore last year, a new swift in front of me suddenly applied breaks on the highway to ask some direction... God knows if they were asking way to hell !!
    my speed was some 90 odd, distance was some 8-10feet, sudden red light and stationey car made my leg to jam the breakes and in a split second i was able to steer to the right and over take the car and again this swift bugger over took my car as if nothing has happened...but what followed behind was a pile up of few cars... 3-4 cars rammed into each other and one tavera or qualis guy who was behind me also escaped unhurt and i gave way for this guy and we both were able to stop the swift and gave our mouth full, seeing my car registered RJ state, the swift thought he can beat me in local language, little did he knew that i was born and bought up here.. My words along with tavera dirvers was enough for his life time not to repeat it... But unsure how much of damages the piled up cars were into... We noted the car regn number just incase to aide in any circumstances.

i was wondering if abs did any trick? It should have else it would not have been possible to steer clear isn't it?
    2 people like this.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think it's the ABS that helps us stop without any casualty. I have been in situations where I had to brake suddenly near unmarked, huge speed breakers on Mysore road very early in the morning at speeds of at 90-100kmph. While braking, I usually make quick glance at the internal rear view mirror, a habit I gained from Bangalore city driving.
  3. Cubbie,
    We can expect such idiot drivers in our country.
    One thing that concerns me is the airbags,a sudden deacclaration can trigger them.it need not get massive hit .
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    We ought to be careful then. Also i was told that if seat belts are not worn, then the air bags wont get deployed?

OT : my brother mentioned that prior to getting this air bags onto our cars, the chemical responsible for fillinup the air bags is stored in a bomb proof vaults and the factory premises and storage will be atleast 300-500 mtrs distance incase of explosion.. The walls are 2 feet thick concrete with some other proofing materials to ensure incase of explosion it doesnt damage surroundings.
  5. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The airbags will be deployed even if you are wearing the seat belts. The impact sensors will check only the collision impact and open the airbags to safeguard the passenger.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I guess you meant to say "The airbags will be deployed even if you are NOT wearing the seat belts." That is true. As a matter of fact, if the air bag gets deployed and you are not wearing the seatbelt, the opposing forces of the impact and the air bag can snap your neck and kill you.

Wear seat belts guys.

Rajan
  7. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rajan ji, I was telling whether you wear seat belt or not the airbag will be deployed. Only thing is that if we don't wear seat belt, the deployment of airbag too is dangerous as the impact of airbag too will be heavy on our body.
  8. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    What i was told is, Air bag deployment circuit also checks for the seat belt circuitry, if belts aren't worn system might not deploy airbags as circuit is not complete.

When you are suggesting that if seat belts arent worn and if air bags gets deployed it can be dangerous - so if we accept this, then air bag not deploying might do bit less harm and thats where seat belt circuit will play its role?

may be we are debating something very basic here and in reality air bag will get deployed as soon as sensors get activated with or without seat belt is on or not., lets hope it does when it is needed.
    2 people like this.
  9. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Thanks Sat-chit-anand Last year, i was traveling to Hassan from Blr. I encountered a similar incident as described in link shared, a dog standing in the left observed a tractor coming on the path, it came in front of the car as i was on the fast lane.
    My speed was 90 odd kmph, i didnt apply breaks hard, but removed foot from accelerator and slightly applied breaks as I was sure dog will not be able to escape, the front tyres ran over the dog and i observed a loud yell from poor dog and then to my astonishment, it was able run to the other side of the road. Had if i breaked hard the air bags might have got deployed and unnecessary spend of 30-50 thousand or more to replace it.

key learning : don't deacclerate or apply breaks suddenly without cause, as it may send an possible impact signals and air bags can get deployed.