1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accidents

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by varunrtr, May 30, 2011.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Regarding the T-Jet accident I have posted:

1. Yes, the owner is a member here, but not too active
    2. No, I do not know him personally, but we have a mutual friend. The pics were taken by the owner of the car and were shared with me by the mutual friend.
    3. No, the owner was not drunk. He was returning from out station.
    4. He himself is not too sure as to what happened. He was approaching this sweeping right hand curve on the Elevated Highway and he got distracted

I will let him make the decision if he wants to reveal his identity on the forum or not.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. zenk_888

zenk_888

Bangalore
    Guys,

I am the owner of the T jet who is lucky to be alive. I had no intention of hiding my identity but I am not that active on this forum. But I came to know through our "mutual friend" that pictures have been posted without my prior permission and so I want to set the record straight.

1. I was not drunk nor sleepy, neither were the brakes kaput or tyre kaput. Everything was top notch in the car. I think it was purely my mistake of over speeding on the highway. I was in no hurry to reach home as well. Sheer carelessness on my part, no excuses.

2. On the highway I was cruising comfortably - I overtook another car and and I must have turned the steering wheel slightly more than I should have which hit the side railings and after that it was over in a flash. I hit the side railings and median multiple times; even the walls and flower pots were damaged according the toll gate highways.

3. All I remember after that is that I was alive, the air bags were open, slight smoke was coming out from the bonnet, which subsided later. I usually never wear the seat belt but somehow wore it that night which saved me.

4. The T jet is built such that it can take massive impact from front and back but makes sure that the forces are not transmitted to the cabin and that explains the damage to the rear of the car and the bonnet but the interior of the car was untouched. I was the lone driver but even if there were 4 passengers all would have been safe.

5. I think I am alive today only because of the car, not only alive, alive enough to have paid bribe to the traffic cops who came more than 30 mins after the accident, alive enough to have paid the toll gate officials who wanted compensation for the alleged flower pots I broke and alive enough to negotiate with the tow truck guy.

6. I had a slight bruise on my left hand and muscular pain in the neck and all over my left body, probably due to the whiplash but other than that no serious injuries.

7. I was so much in love with the car, had the ECU remapped, the air filter changed to BMC (Italian make) air filter, fitted in Focal speakers, had Amway cleaning liquids for the leather and exteriors, got a contract for a year from a software engineer who personally does the exterior detailing of the car because it is his hobby, had changed my tyres to Michelin primacy LC, got a new battery from Exide worth 9k and had completed almost 50,000 kms within couple of years of buying the car.

8. After the accident I tried calling all my friends but all of them were either asleep or had kept the phone in silent mode…lesson learnt – make sure you have the contact number of someone who can help you even in the middle of the night.

9. It is a little sad that there were many cars which crossed the accident site but none of them even bothered to even ask if I needed any help, maybe because I was walking around busy making phone calls! They may not have realized that I was the victim! Thanks to Fiat!

10. I was unable to even contact the Fiat road side assistance as they have fixed timings I think, called up 100 for contacting the police, they said call 103 for Hoysala, when I called 103 multiple times the phone was just ringing. After trying so many times on both 100 and 103 I had to finally stop a car and ask them to inform the Madiwala Police to come by.

11. I saw the helpline number of BETL and called them up but again no one responded.

12. Finally I was able to reach out to the guy who remapped my ECU because I remembered he usually stays up all night. He helped me connect to the Fiat 24 hours customer helpline and gave me the address of the nearest service centre of Prerana Motors in Kudlu gate. He was of immense help to me that night, I don’t even know him that well. Strange are the ways of destiny….as one of my friends always says, if you do good, good will come to you…where and in what form, only God knows! Even now, my friend who is helping me with the Insurance and everything is hardly an acquaintance but helped me enormously.

13. When the Police finally came it was even worse, they didn’t even know what to do, there were calling up their seniors to check if the car has to be taken to the station to get an FIR. I was trying to convince them that there was no need for a complaint since no other vehicle or people are involved. I spoke to some of their inspectors and investigating officers in phone and they finally agreed to let me take the car to the service station. The toll gate officials had also come at that time, they were asking for compensation for the broken flower pots.

14. They were like vultures hovering around a dead body, toll officials were asking me to give money to the police, police asking me to give money to the toll officials, most probably because they couldn’t directly ask the bribe. I finally gave them both the money and was left in peace..asked the toll officials for receipt, they said “Don’t worry, we will take care of it, no one will ask you anything”, I had no energy to haggle with them. They were kind enough to drop me till a cab near the Madiwala Aiyappa swamy temple.

15. Another mistake I made was taking the car in a normal tow away truck, since the tyres were damaged, there was more damage done to the car while towing it away. Instead I should have called the flat bed towing truck which lifts the whole car and takes it. But I was in no position to think about all this.

16. After leaving the car in the service station, I took a cab and went to Manipal hospital to get myself checked, got a tt injection and went home…again the cab driver was demanding more money since it was late night.

17. I am not entirely sure that the airbags opened at the right time, it was just like a balloon, burst in a few milliseconds, I think it happens too fast for the brain to process anything. But my chest hit the steering wheel and I have a bruise so something must be wrong with the timing of the opening of the airbag although nothing serious like chest fracture happened.

18. I think the Micheling Primacy LC tyres also played a huge role in avoiding the skidding by having great grip…along with ABS.

19. I had a Bharathi AXA insurance and surprisingly even their helpline was not working in the night to register a claim or for any other detail.

20. I just came to know that the total estimate of the car might be more than the IDV value in the Insurance in which case total loss may be declared in which case my car is gone for good.

21. It is really sad I lost my T jet because of a momentary lapse in concentration. It is not like I am an irresponsible driver, I know my limits but there is a thin line between speeding and over speeding and I think I crossed that line on that fateful night.

22. It is to the credit of Fiat that instead of feeling happy that I am alive, I am feeling sad that my car is beyond repair!

23. It took me months of research to finalize on the tyres, to decide the speakers for ICE, or to decide to paint the front grill and fog lamps black, etc but just a minute for the whole car to be destroyed!

24. I always used to wonder what this “build quality like a tank” or “flawless ride and handling” meant…I got to actually experience it on that Shivrathri night and how much it matters. There might be other cars with higher straight line acceleration speeds or better mileage but I don’t think I will ever buy another brand apart from Fiat.

25. These words from GTO’s team bhp t jet review kept ringing in my ears as I walking away from the mangled metallic mess my car was in:
    “It is IMPOSSIBLE to drive this car with a light foot. The turbo boost is addictive. Don’t fret over the fuel economy, there’s more to life than kpl. Take the wife for a dinner less or something.”

26. I had no intention of divulging these details to anyone apart from those who are close to me but in retrospect this information may be useful to you guys in some way. For all those Fiat owners out there, you guys have made one helluva SAFE choice!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  3. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    ^ Terrible ordeal you had to go through here. I can understand the sentiments yowards your tank and its loss. The tank did its job, of keeping you safe! Thats what matters. Sorry to know that you had to bribe and compensate then and there. Unable to reach friends and helplines, oh man, how frustrating it could be at that time, I cant even imagine.

Hoping the wrapping up of this with Insurance is quick and you dont have to undergo similar ordeals! Just take a short brake from your routine chores once everything is over.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am happy that you are safe. It is indeed horrible that you had to go through our corrupted legal system. Never mind, you are safe after this terrible accident.

It is indeed commendable that you have openly admitted your mistake.

It proves the importance of Seat Belts again.

It is high time we should have some volunteers in major cities to help fellow TFI'ians in emergency situations? I think it is not a bad idea. I would always be ready to volunteer.

Fiat RSA works round the clock. At that point of time anyone may go blank without much of thinking. I could understand that.

T E R R I B L E.

Airbags are life savers but that doesn't mean that it would always play a role in all kind of accidents. It would be wise to maintain safe speed and drive carefully than depending on these safety equipments.

Many of the insurance companies have started to give RSA (Road Side Assistance) as a Add-on with the Car Insurance. It is high time we should also take this as a backup to Fiat RSA.
    2 people like this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for all the information @zenk_888. My intention of sharing the pictures here was only to highlight the build quality of FIAT. I thought long and hard before posting the pictures and then realized that most pictures posted on this thread are done so, without the owner's permission. I felt it is safe to share this info here. However, I did not think of the possibility that some insensitive folks will get into post-mortem mode and start second guessing the cause, including wondering if you were drunk.

I knew that you loved your car, and trust me when I say that your car has been the topic of discussion many times when I spoke to Hari. I understand that you must be already traumatized with the accident, saddened by the loss of your prized possession and hurt by the callous attitude of the authorities, who turned up at the spot and harassed you. The last thing you needed was this.

I apologize again and hope you are able to find a worthy replacement for the T-Jet. Being a fellow T-Jet owner, I know first hand how much joy it is to drive that car, even in its stock form.

All the very best with the insurance process going smoothly, without more heartache for you.

Rajan

PS: I also volunteer to be available for emergencies in Bangalore. Guys, I think it would be a great thing to do. Can we put this into action ASAP?
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    5 people like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey zenk thank god that you are safe.that what says the build quality of this machine.

This is what the problem during the night driving, we will not know our speed unless we see at the ODO and some times our indian roads without any sgins make things more worse.
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/team-fiat...-give-your-comments-experiences-tips-etc.html

Thats the confidence in FIAT.

Take care of your health and have a nice time.
    2 people like this.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ zenk_888. Hmmm tough time! Sorry to hear about the accident and glad that your are safe.

This is a real good & practical initiative! Lets get the ball rolling in this regards.
  8. murugusec

murugusec Timido

CHENNAI
    I am Also ready to volunteer in chennai. Why don't we prepare a volunteer list?
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Indian Roads are not designed to handle 140 - 150 KM speeds on a narrow two lane express way the prescribed speed limit for cars is 80 KM doing double the speed, i don't think FIAT or any other car can manage to hold it straight other than toppling and hitting the median.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First good to read that you are safe and you handled terrible situation in best way one could.

• Strange that your friends didn't pick-up your call, I don't if they are really your friends.
    • Fiat RSA helpline numbers are 24X7, so its sheer bad luck that call didn't connect.
    • We all over speed, lesson learnt now. Till something happens we all feel we are in control.
    • These police and BETL guys, instead of helping just makes everything terrible just for few bucks, forget about it for now.
    • Fiat RSA sends flat bed truck, not the tow vehicle, don't know what happend.
    • Now you need to handle these insurance persons properly to make sure you get proper amount.

Excellent idea.
    Lets PM our numbers to each other. Or do you have any other idea?
    Or may be whenever we do meets in our respective city, make sure to share numbers and keep it safe for emergencies.