1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accidents

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by varunrtr, May 30, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Many times people press accelerator in panic because they don't get time to think. If he had maintained a min distance with Linea's breaking the collision could have avoided or made it less severe.
  2. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Well... Who knows whether driver was wearing seat-belt or not? As long as I know, Airbags wont open if he would not have worn the seat-belt...

It has happened in past. Son of one of the top industrialist of Ahmedabad, a young guy was in his early 30s met with an accident near GandhiNagar in his top-end Merc S class and he was driving over 200 kmph... It toppled couple of times on the road and rammed in to Tree finally... He died on the spot... Everyone were suspicious about built quality and safety features of Mercedes as Airbags did not open... Engineer from Merc. came and attached his laptop with some cables into the machine of that S -Class, got the feedback and prepared the report and concluded within couple of minutes that he was not wearing the seat belt when this happened and because of that the airbags were not activated. Even his family members lately admitted that he never used to wear seat-belts while driving car...

But to my surprise one of my distance cousin met with an accident on highway. When his corolla Altis rammed into Maruti Esteem @ speed of 120-130 kmph, even though he had not worn seat belt - the airbags were activated and were out...

That kept me wondering, that does it differ brand to brand? or is that what one has to set as per individual's liking in the MID ???
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    As I understand, the system design has changed over the years and also differs in American and European vehicles. In older vehicles the design never checked for seat belt before deploying airbags. Newer designs does that check. This was done after studies of accidents showed injury from airbag exploding in the face of the non seat belted passenger - An airbag exploding under your chin can easily break your neck.
    Also in models I have seen, European models were designed for deployment while wearing a seat belt and while American ones does not seem to take that into consideration. Not sure how this is handled in India, may be it depends on the fancy of the manufacturer.
    4 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    What about seat cover. If the car have sensors inside seat does additional seat covers affect the working. XUV have mentioned not to use seat covers
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    That is possible. There are different approaches used in identifying the occupant of a seat. A system we worked on back in 2004 for an American automotive supplier used the weight of the object on the seat and some elaborate algorithms including input from seat belt status, to identify what was on the seat - a child, an adult, or a suitcase or something else and then decide on whether to deploy the airbag or not.
    2 people like this.
  6. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    RoyJ... Do you know, how this issue addressed in Fiat Cars having Airbags?

Do they use that seat-belt tricks or that weight of the object on the seat trick or just specified speed of the car trick or combinations of some/all of these or any other trick to activate airbags?

I am sure this info will be of great help to all the Fiatians if they have Airbags in their ride... and they can be cautious and careful while cruising....
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Even my experience with Ford is that Ford cars are solid and reliable. Usually they do not give trouble. Mine did not give any in 5.5 years. However, heard that if it starts giving trouble then it's a pain.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    No. I don't have any information. However my assumption is that they use a combination of speed sensing, impact sensing and seat belt status to deploy the airbag. I believe the systems in Punto and Linea are basic and does not have any seat weight sensing and occupant classification system based on that. Those systems are usually found in cars costing upwards of Rs.30-40 Lakhs, though we can soon expect such systems to be available in cheaper cars very soon.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    In My corolla Altis,. I keep some things on the co-drivers more than 10 kg it beeps for the Seat belt and the Airbag is activated.
  10. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    There is a setting in Linea in that you can turn off the passenger airbag, we can assume the driver airbag is always active and they dont have sensor to detect occupants and their weight etc.
    1 person likes this.