1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accident due to aquaplaning

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by shashanknathani, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Shashanknathani really sad to see this. Thank god that you & your co-passenger came out without any scratches . In a road like Pune expressway I dont think anyone would expect aquaplaning . So this is a big lesson learnt .

Thanks to the wonderful FIATians in Pune who managed to reach to the spot & gave the necessary moral strength to Shashank.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Big thanks and wonderful job done by Pune team. A lesson learn to all in various ways.
    Bravi Punto Team Bravo :clap
    Thanks to FIAT for giving us such a wonderful tank :clap
    2 people like this.
  3. Shashank, thanks god that you and your family is safe.
    When did you realize effect of aquaplaning? How did you react to that?
  4. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  5. Thanks for information Vijay my question is how one need react in situation? Should be slam the brakes?
    Or
    Slowdown by downshift to lower gear?
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Release the gas pedal, take both feet off all pedals, hold steering wheel straight and firm with both hands, provided you are in a straight line. If the car starts to aquaplane in a curve, it is really hard to bring it back to control.

The best strategy is to avoid contributors to aquaplaning. Proper tire pressure, narrow and unworn tires, and reduced speeds from those judged suitably moderate in the dry will mitigate the risk of aquaplaning, as will avoidance of standing water.

Electronic stability control systems cannot replace defensive driving techniques and proper tire selection. These systems rely on selective wheel braking, which depends in turn on road contact. While stability control may help recovery from a skid when a vehicle slows enough to regain traction, it cannot prevent aquaplaning.

Because pooled water and changes in road conditions can require a smooth and timely reduction in speed, cruise control should not be used on wet or icy roads.

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    4 people like this.
  7. Hmm, really difficult in our country as one will find another vehicle anywhere around 360 degrees.
  8. bbllaazzee

bbllaazzee Amatore

Bangalore
    Recently I had a similar aquaplaning incident. I was on the way to Chennai on Oct 1st evening and it was raining all animals near Kancheepuram. It was pitch dark and the head-lights were not helping to have a clear view of the road or the water puddle on the driver side. Also the lorries were splashing water as they over-took or I over-took. Suddenly my Linea's driver side wheel sank into a water puddle and i was doing some 80+ kmph and the car started to move left and slowed down as if a 2 ton weight was hooked to it. I just braked and got control of the car back, moved to the middle of the 2 lane road(as either side there were water puddles) and reduced to 60kmph. It was a major shocker to get into such a situation, as the water was so much that the tire lost contact with the road entirely. Though I have driven in worst rainy conditions, this was way different than other aquaplaning situations and I think it is mostly to do with my aging tires and is not able to push water efficiently.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Shashank, terrible pictures and scary too.
    Glad to read you and other passenger are fine.

Drive safe!!
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    It is important not to Panic Brake when aquaplaning. Vehicles equipped with ABS might have better control in this situation i.e. they would have a better chance of recovering from the slide.

But if one slams the brake (which is an expected reflex upon getting a feeling that one has lost control on the Steering), the wheels will lock up and start skidding rendering steering inputs useless. On a wet surface skidding is almost always disastrous.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.