1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accident at Eastern Express Highway

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by mhitesh, Oct 7, 2013.

1. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My Punto met with a small accident at the turn towards Gandhi Nagar (Vikhroli / Powai) from Eastern Express Highway. I was on the rightmost lane coming from Mulund and took a turn at the Signal and suddenly from nowhere this truck came from the left and overtook me and to avoid collision with a Sumo in the front he immediately braked. I had braked too and got the vehicle upto 2nd gear but it was too late and the bonnet was inside the rear fender of the truck.

Till the time I looked at my wife and daughter and came out to check the damages the truck driver just drove away. I couldn't note his number, but all this happened in front of the cops and none of them did do anything even to stop the truck.

I called Fiat RSA however they said that towing is free only when there is a mechanical / electrical failure, in case of an accident towing services will be chargeable. I was about to drop my wife to Vikhroli and then go to Chembur. So I checked if there is any damage to the engine compartment. As there was no damage I took my Punto to Wasan in Chembur, however Wasan didn't have a spare bonnet and parts and said this could take anywhere from 5 days to 20 days.

I then called Balaji Thane and after conforming that they have the required parts I took the Punto to Balaji and it is now under repairs at Balaji Thane.

They said that the bonnet will have to be changed, plus the front bumper, grills have and the left headlight has damages, so they will change the same.

I am claiming the same via Bajaj Allianz, however since Balaji doesn't have a tie up with Bajaj, the claim will be settled to my account later by Bajaj.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Bad, sad to see one more accident thread. But relieved to see its minor and all of you are safe.
    Hope Balaji does the repair soon.
    This is correct as per terms & conditions mentioned in RSA booklet.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    wishing your punto a speedy recovery!
    however i want to ask if this crossing at a curve because of which you could not sight the truck while taking the u-turn. it certainly would not have come out of nowhere and would have been on the road itself!!
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hitesh,

That was unfortunate.
    But glad to hear that you all are safe.
  5. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thanks Shams.

I was not taking a U turn, I was at the signal waiting for it to go green and turn to the right. I was on the rightmost lane and when I took the right turn this truck just came from the extreme left and overtook me from the left and slotted itself in the rightmost lane and then he might have realized he was too close to the Sumo in the front and he just braked causing this collision
  6. Hitesh,
    Get the bonnet tinkered and repainted, newer bonnet will not have the sealent like the old one.
    This will work against the resale value of the car.
  7. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I was not aware of this, however the team at Balaji said that it will have to be replaced completely and it cannot be repainted. Even I said that it should be repainted, however now they have filed the claim with Bajaj and I received a message this morning from Bajaj with the claim registration details.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    OMG. Sad to hear about the accident. Glad to know that the occupants were safe.

That turning is IMO the most dangerous with any last minuter vehicles trying to turn. I always try to keet at the left most lane at that section. You drove all the way to Chembur and then back to thane with a damaged bonnet or did you avail the towing services. Instead you could have called Balaji directly and should have definitely got the car towed.

Balaji Fiat has cashless tie up with Future Generali, Oriental insurance & Royal Sundaram only. Hence you will have to pay upfront and claim from Bajaj later.

If its OK, can you post some pics of the car?
  9. Gokulk

Gokulk Novizio

CHENNAI
    Hope your vehicle recovers soon...am excited to know that an insurance company is reacting so quickly
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  10. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4

Thanks, but I didn't click any pics. I drove all the way to Chembur as I had some plans, and had thought to give it to Wasan at Chembur, but Wasan said they will take anywhere between 5 - 20 days as they don't have the bonnet, so called up Balaji as they had the bonnet in stock.

Yes that turn is dangerous as vehicles from the left try to squeeze in, specially autos. I had my first policy with Future Generali, but during the renewal period I was out of India and never received any call or mail from them for renewal and the policy lapsed.

Bajaj was courteous enough to make an ISD call and explain me the entire policy and details before the renewal and the renewal was hassle free.