1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Accelerator response loss at Random

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Vikramsingh Rajput, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Vikramsingh Rajput

Vikramsingh Rajput Timido

Navi Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Hi,

I have a Median Grey 1.4 Linea, done about 43K on the odo and am facing a peculiar issue for which I seek help from the experts here. I will list down the symptoms below, things which I have noticed and tried to troubleshoot or at least zero in on.

The car runs perfectly normal for local city driving (primarily short trips of around 10-20 kms

But whenever i drive for about 40-50 kms, i face sudden loss of accelerator response for about 3-4 seconds, at random. I would be cruising at say 70-80 kmph with my foot gently on the accelerator pedal when suddenly, although the accelerator is depressed lightly, the car begins to decelerate. About 2-3 seconds later, it comes back online and begins to function normally. There is no drop or rise in RPM or any other error signal on the dash when it happens.

I have been trying to recreate this issue for over a month now but somehow unable to without a long drive.

I have tried everything from different combinations of systems (like AC, Music, etc.) running and switched off to negate the possibility of an electrical fault somewhere.

The car has been shown to the Fiat Service Centre a couple of times who have connected the OBD Scanner (Computer) to it to check for any registered faults/errors in the system. They also opened up all electrical connectors and cleaned them (with wd40, I think or something similar)

Last week, i drove about 60kms and took the car straight to the service centre when it started misbehaving randomly, to try to connect the OBD Scanner and find fault when driving it with the scanner connected (with the mechanic of course); Still nothing. The scanner shows that the accelerator has gone to zero although the pedal is depressed but is not giving out any errors.

Due to above, the technician has opened the entire assembly behind the accelerator pedal, cleaned it and re-installed it and asked me to come back if it happens again.

If anyone has any idea what could be wrong or why this must be happening, please help me with some leads to help resolve this issue. I have a trip to Pune scheduled during Ganesh Chaturthi and do not wish to find myself with a broken down vehicle on the highway with my wife and baby onboard.

(one (maybe) irrelevant point to add: The clutch is on its way out, as informed by the service advisor, but not completely gone yet. the usual symptoms of that are all there but no abnormal revving or rpm drops yet)

Regards,

Vikram

2. Vikramsingh Rajput

Vikramsingh Rajput Timido

Navi Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Guys, No Reply yet! Is my problem so unique or has nobody mustered up some reply yet? :) Hope some help comes along from our experts here.. TIA.

3. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Linea 1.3
    My Linea is MJD with 46+ km on odo. It is now 5 years old. However, it may or may not directly relate to your 1.4.

I recently faced power loss situation while returning from a 500 km drive. After 200 km, loss of power was felt & we halted car for few minutes. When we started, it ran normal till we reached home (about 300 km). But this is seen only few times in past 5 years. 3 years ago I started facing power loss within city drive & took it to FASS. IIRC, they attended a leaking turbo pipe and since then, the problem never came in city drive. It is seen sometimes after 100-150 km drive.

There are discussion threads on this forum discussing power loss issue. You need to search there.