1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

AC ineffectiveness & frequent glow plug failures in Punto 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ravudai9, Jul 28, 2014.

1. ravudai9

ravudai9 Timido

Amritsar
    I have a October 2009 Punto 1.3 MJD (75 bhp) E-pack that has done 1,23,000 kms. There are two issues that I am facing with the car:
    1. Since the last one year, glow plugs have started to go bad almost every 3 months. When I went to get it replaced the first time, the SA had warned that other old glow plugs may soon give way. The problem is that all glow plugs were replaced as & when they failed but now one glow plug has failed again just 2 months later despite all of them being relatively new. Not sure why a new glow plug failed so soon & no guarantee that failures won't happen so often in the future.
    2. The AC cooling becomes ineffective after 1-2 hours of use. The cooling is normal at the start but the amount of airflow seems to decrease with time when the AC is switched on. If I switch the AC off & turn the air to fresh air mode for 2-3 minutes, the vents throw a lot of water vapour/ water drops & the blower speed also increases. Turning the AC on at this time makes it effective again for some time before the air flow decreases again. Another thing I notice is that increasing the vehicle speed increases the cooling & the cooling becomes less as the vehicles slows down. Also, the air seems to be less cold on the left central vent as compared to the right center & the side vents. Went to FASS in Amritsar where the AC drain pipe was cleaned as it was found to be partially blocked & not letting water to escape but the problem still persists.
    Has anyone faced any of the two issues. Have gone through several threads on the issues but none is specific for my problem. Please advise what the problem could be.
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Reg the AC cooling, please check there is enough AC gas in the system. ie. Check for gas pressure. If the gas is less, then there will be ice formation in the cooling coil due to very sudden expansion and the ice will block the airflow through the coil. Guess during fresh air mode, the ice is getting melted and water droplets are coming in through the vent.

The compressor is getting power from the engine and when the engine speed varies, the speed of the compressor also varies. So when the speed increases, the amount of gas getting circulated in the system increases, thus increasing the cooling. It also depends on the type of compressors used.There are cars with independent systems too, but not our cars I guess :)
  3. Manuj

Manuj

NOIDA
    Can anyone please advise me - the AC of my fiat punto 1.3L diesel (2010 model) has suddenly gone completely ineffective - it is cooling but only mildly - also it no longer causes a sudden load on the engine when switched on - any troubleshooting guide ....
  4. ravudai9

ravudai9 Timido

Amritsar
    Just check to see if the compressor is getting started when you press it on. Has anyone suffered frequent glow plug failures?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks GP Freak. Plan to do just that in a few days.
  5. Manuj

Manuj

NOIDA
    The compressor must be getting switched on as the air emanating from the vents is cool but not very cool. There is therefore some cooling taking place . Also the additional load normally felt on the engine as a result of the compressor cutting in , is no longer as prominent as it was before the problem started ....
  6. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For Air conditioning:
    1. Get A.C Clutch relay checked.
    2. There could be a leakage of gas. Get a physical check done for any leakage from hose ,seals. Dont just get gas filled. Ask them to diagnose the leakage point.
    3. Cooling coil might need to be checked for leakage .
    4. Compressor might need inspection .
    5. Did you get AC gas filled recently? Overfilling of gas by inexperienced mechanics can lead to less cooling. But im not sure about the extent of it .
    6. Did you try AC ON condition in morning?. Do u feel the need to reduce cooling in the morning. say around 6 am.? If it makes u chill during morning hours, then hopefully compressor is safe.

Hope it gets resolved soon.
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Buddy, do the following test. Keep the fan speed at the minimum and switch on the AC. Check whether you are getting any minute hissing noise after the compressor starts. The hissing noise if heard will be brief like gas escaping and will happen only during the start of the compressor. Also ensure that the Radiator fan is kicking as it help to take heat away from the condenser coil.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Incase of adequate gas pressure,check whether the thermostat is working properly. The thermostat should cut in when the temperature drops to icing point. If not even with enough gas, icing might happen and block the airflow.
  8. ravudai9

ravudai9 Timido

Amritsar
    The AC cooling is fine for the first hour or so no matter what the outside temperature is. After that, the air flow reduces drastically even though the fan speed is near maximum or even maximum. Had got it checked earlier but the service guy couldn't find any leakage, the gas was topped up about 5 months ago. when I place my hand at the right central vent, the air is very cold but the inflow volume is very less, however, the air feels slightly less cold on the left center vent. It needs 2-3 minutes of fresh air circulation to be switched on & clear the water droplets from the system (with the AC off) that gets the air flow back. The AC then has good airflow for 30-45 minutes after which the air volume again drops drastically.
    What about the issue of frequent glow plug failures? Has anybody faced the same?
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Not sure maybe your AC drain system is blocked allowing water to fill in cooling coil area(internal drain tray is filled with mud as you stated earlier that drain pipe was cleaned) and blocking flow of air or maybe ICE is forming over cooling coil due to improper gas level, faulty expansion valve, faulty pressure switch, fault in compressor internal displacement control system.
    1 person likes this.
  10. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I have this glow plug failing problem offlate too, the more read on the internet, the more horrible it seems to me, given I know how the service centre checks these and replaces these!!!

I am planning the following, take a multi meter along and carry anti sieze bolt/screw paste when I visit A.S.S.

The best thing, is make sure I check the voltage/resistance on all the plugs, make sure they check the condition of the wiring harness of these glow plugs and the glow plug relay as well.

Any and all the things worn out to be replaced under warranty as the car is still under warranty.

Then get the error code removed from the car's ECU. Its a shame these tiny things take away the fun in driving the car and makes us visit the car's HOSPITAL so often. I am pissed.

THIS IS BAD man its getting annoying to the point where FIAT reminds me FIAT = FIX IT AGAIN THAMBI!