1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"ABS unavailable" Showed a couple of times in my linea.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by anjith100in, Sep 28, 2012.

1. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

trivandrum
    This happened last week while driving back from office. I love to drive my linea more as it already covered 40k on the odo and the engine more free than my punto 90hp which had run only around 6k even though both of them share the same mechanical heart. 3-4 days before the front brakes started to make a strange GRRR.. sound from the left side. Acts fine when the pads are cold ie it starts to make sound after around 15km drive with normal braking in between. No warning sign have come up till now or am I wrong thinking that there is some WARNING SIGN to show that the pads are nearing replacement?. Anyway.. while driving back I was slowed down due a due to a small pile up of the cars in front of me moving slowly over the “continuous small humps”. This road is having a lot of them and usually I don’t slow down for it. But tat day I had to slow down and when I was about to start over the humps one bike fellow over took from the left and was about to cut to the right in front of me and abruptly slowed seeing the humps due to which I too had to slam my brakes. As tat humps were having little sand in between them, the braking was not smooth. The tire was locking and moving in between and I got a bit scared too and that @$$ rider also got scared hearing my tyre sound. Luckily nothing happened but the MID suddenly showeh “ABS unavailable” warning. I pulled over waited to check if it will go by itself. Then I switched off and restarted 2-3 times and still it was showing. But when I restarted again it went off. I called up one service executive and he told something weird which I cannot DIGEST. He told tat “Tat warning will come if the rear wheel bearing about to go kaput”.. Plz shed some light on tat guys.

What I believe is tat

1. Either the ABS sensors have been disabled sensing that my pad is already worn out.
    2. The ABS sensors got some false input when front tires was locking and releasing abruptly and the rear wheels were acting normally.

The car was acting fine when I checked with some hard braking(not too hard to activate the ABS normally) later. Anyway I am going to change the pads soon. I want to know if linea got “PAD WORN OUT” warning light also.. Thanx..
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Thats an weird answer that you got.Anyways as you said,push ur car to TASS firstly.Tell them to check sensors.Do check the battery too.There's no "PAD WORN OUT" warning in our cars.
  3. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    nothing to worry that message is displayed once the required voltage from the battery falls below the critical level for the abs ecu.( abs and airbags have different ecus).. that message is displayed.... get ur battery checked... the crank voltage must not be less than 10v...
  4. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

trivandrum
    But guys.. the first time it appeared was while i was driving. usually when the engine is running, the alternator will be powering the electrical systems?.. Or am i wrong?
  5. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    I got the same messages sometime back but once I started driving for a while, the message went away. At that time the battery was the culprit.

In your case, it is better to check with the service center as I think it could be a sensor problem

Let us know your findings.
  6. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    if it is continuously showing..... then any one of the couplers of the abs sensors mush have gotten loose.... and if its ur bad time a rat must have entered and bitten off the abs wiring.....

take ur car to TASS and let us know....
  7. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

trivandrum
    Didn't yet take my car to service center. Anyway thanx guys for your feedback. I will let you guys know when its rectified..

@ jayakrishnakola its not showing continuously. In fact it was showing continuously but stopped after switching on and switching off the key 3-4 times.. :)