1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ABS Unavailable - Brake oil dry up?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mightymaveryk, Nov 29, 2012.

1. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,

My car was put up for the first service on 2nd of this month and I took back it on 6th (as the left back door was dent because of a biker who overtook from left, I repaired it). It crossed 6200 KM and my friend (a good driver indeed) taken my car today to go his native. He almost driven 300 KM on highway and ringed me and told that the warning system is informing "ABS unavailable" and the reason given in the manual is "Hydraulic oil is low".

My actual drive is 80% city and 20% highway till now as well I drive through ORR in Bangalore (as there were flyovers and underpasses coming through in the initial days of my drive, whatever time I start to office, I am supposed to drive in dense traffic) and my brake use is moderate (as I prefer driving left track for smooth movement).

As well sometimes I hear the "Grr" noise while braking in the first gear in dense traffic.

Even with moderate braking will the brake oil or whatever the Hydraulic fluids will dry up this fast? Whether anyone else had such experience? :confused:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Did you check the brake oil level?
    This is certainly some problem needs to be looked into.
    There could be some leak.

My brake oil was as it is after 2 years, when I got it changed. Now also, more than 1.5 years, its is exactly at same level.
    I drive in heavy traffic daily to commute office.
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As my friend is driving it now (on way he updated me), I asked him to check it. I will ask him for the leakages too.

Got latest information that the nearby TASS (who is not really a Fiat dealer) service people told that it might be a software bug but I asked to check with TASS that handles the Fiat too (another 120 KM he need to travel to get this checked)
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    1. Typically brake fluid should not dry up fast. It remains at the same level for long. If at all it goes down, it wont be more than couple of mm, unless there is a leak. The brakes will be efficient even if the level is a little below the minimum mark. But always ensure it is above min mark, especially before long drive.
    2. What is mentioned in the manual is often pointers and may not be the actual issue. It can even be a problem with sensors.
    3. You get Grrr sound when brake pads are nearing life, but 6000 kms is too less for brake pads to die.

All the above is based on my experience with my Punto.
  5. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I ringed my friend. He told he opened the bonnet and checked and informed that he suspects a leakage. So asked him to take to TASS in Madurai (TN) and check for the issue. The TASS people in other city told that it may be the software issue.

The Grr sound is not frequent but once or twice in a week. My friend also reported that when he hits a pothole he listened this sound. So I suspect that it may be some other problem. Will check with the service center once he brings back the beauty.
    1 person likes this.
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thumbs up for FIAT's Driver Info system that your problem was identified before it turned fatal ! Hope it gets sorted out soon.
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Lose connection could be another reason for faulty results.
    Its good to get it checked at relevant service center...
  8. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Latest update. My friend was not able to reach any TASC and he checked with a Bosch service center in Thirunelveli. The technician told that there is no leakage in engine oil and they need to run a complete scan to trace out the issue. So I decided to put it in KHT once he returned from the trip.