1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ABS saves lifes & car

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by NAREN64, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Mr.Boss

Mr.Boss Amatore

Faced a similar situation with my Honda City without ABS. Escaped just by luck.
    Immediately I switched to Linea MJD Emotion.
    thanks to ABS

Bit OT.
    Mods, please correct the thread title, ABS "BREAKING" misleads the subject.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    ABS, EBD, ESP, ASR/TCS, ABD what makes a automobile safe on Road..

ABS ABS: Antilock Brake System (or Anti-locking Brake System) - enables you to steer whilst keeping the brake pedal full on. Also useful in stopping in a straight lane if one side is on slippery stuff and the other on grippy stuff (non-ABS will tend to spin). In simple words ABS Stops tyre from locking up on hard breaking more effective on straight lanes.

EBD
    EBD: Electronic Brake Distribution (or Electronic Brake-force Distributor) - alters how much of the brake force goes to the front and how much to the rear. Cars always have more braking on front as if the rears lock before the front then the car will spin. How much braking you can do with the rears depends on how much weight is in the vehicle so EBD dynamically adjusts this balance. Without it, the manufacturer sets up the balance so the rears don't lock when the vehicle is empty which is less braking than is possible when the vehicle is full. EBD Distributes braking power to tyres that needs the most. Kicks in when hard braking and distributes more power to where weight shifts (front or back). Usually works together with ABS on hard braking.

ESP
    ESP: Electronic Stability Program - senses when the car is about to go out of control and can apply an individual brake to a wheel to help avoid the spin. It Will not totally prevent the spin but means that it takes more to lose control. Often also used to give traction control where brakes may be applied if a wheel begins to spin due to too much power for the grip. ESP can activate brakes by itself without any manual assistance on brake pedal , no need to press brake pedal.

TCS or ASR
    A traction control system (TCS), or a anti-slip regulation (ASR) is a secondary function of the (ABS) designed to prevent loss of traction of driven road wheels. When invoked it therefore enhances driver control as throttle input applied is mis-matched to road surface conditions (due to varying factors) being unable to manage applied torque. When applied it reduces or supressess spark sequence to one or more cylinders in the engine, reduces or locks fuel supply to the engine, close the throttle, reduces boost and engine power

ABD

The Automatic Braking Differential (ABD) system is used to counteract unnecessary wheel spin by one of the driving wheels. ABD is an electronic locking differential that uses the brakes and inputs from the Anti-lock Braking Systems sensors to simulate "the lock" of one of the wheels in case of hard acceleration or during a high-speed maneuver. The ABD does not substitute for a real locking differential, but is a supplementary system which provides better directional stability and more traction on less-than-ideal road surfaces by applying braking power to any slipping wheel during acceleration.

In simple terms:

• ABS (Antilock Brake system) - Stops tyre from locking up on hard breaking.
    • EBD -(Electronic Brake Distribution) Distribute braking power to all tyres.
    • ESP - (Electronic Stability program) Distribute stopping power and stabilize to keep vehicle on the road.
    • ASR/TCS -(Anti-slip regulation/Traction control) This limits/controls engine power.
    • ABD - (Automatic Brake Differential) Limits wheel spin where needed to prevent over spinning.

ABD
    ABD.jpg

ABS
    ABS.jpb.jpg

EBD
    EBD.jpg

ESP
    ESp.jpg

TCS/ASR
    TCS.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    For any road conditions the Car with ABS will always have shorter stopping distance when compared without ABS, as sliding/skidding friction is always less than static/near sliding friction. Less friction means more stopping distance.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I don't agree with the above point, as a fatter rubber with good tread will stop better without ABS in case of hard breaking on a straight line and on non slippery surface.
    But yes ABS will allow to steer hence driver get a chance to avoid danger.
  5. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    For sure the ABS is a Gem on the Punto,
    But Active is also not way behind, When i was following a Luxury buss on the NH4 towards Pune, the Buss driver applied the brakes all of a sudden as i was aware that the Buss driver was playing with the zen who was trying to enter him from the left side, but the zen overtook the buss and might have slowed down, For which the buss driver applied his brakes and it was a Sudden halt, i was at the speed of 45 -50 kmph, same instance i stood on the brakes of my punto, Thanks GOD my punto stopped just few Inches apart from the Rear bumper of the Bus, Dad who was beside me taught we had a had a HIT, then he praised Punto for its braking,
  6. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    You can't compare different tires. Yes, fatter tires have more contact area with tarmac, so better grip and better stopping distances.
    But when you compare the same fatter tyre with and without ABS, the tyre with ABS will always have better stopping distance.