1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ABS saves lifes & car

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by NAREN64, Jun 4, 2010.

Yesterday I tested fellow member Jaithilak's Peted Punto Emotion and another freind's Figo (non-ABS)
    I drove both cars through the same 2.5 Kms stretch of roads, drove them bit aggressively.

First I drove Punto, there was this small stretch with some gravel on the road and immediately after that, a speed breaker. I approached that part in good speed braked hard, negotiated the hump and accelerated.

It was only when I drove Figo through the same stretch I could realize that it was ABS which avoided a wheel lock up earlier in Putno - Figo's wheels got locked up when I braked and after that I was a bit scary to drive like I drove the Punto few minutes back through the same road.

ABS rocks!
  2. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

NEtime ABS rocks.. Infact in India they should make ABS a mandate on every car.. It really is important..
  3. ramesh_v

ramesh_v Novizio

Few weeks back I got an issue in my car, when I got into the car and started the engine, in the dashboard I saw ABS yellow light glowing continuously and a warrning message "ABS Unavailable Check the HandBook" was getting displayed. Immediately I called up Fiat Service Engineer and told about this problem, he said no need to worry, you drive for one day and come to service station tomorrow. The next day I took my car over there and gave it to the service engineer, after 1/2 hour he handed over the car back to me and told that the problem got rectified. When I checked the dashboard, that message and ABS yellow light got vanished. The service engineer was telling me that the ABS sensor is not working properly due to dust/mud got accumulated in the sensor and this could be due to recent rain and after cleaning those stuffs the sensor started working and the ABS functional.

I wanted to know, whether you guys faced such issues in your Punto/Linea? If so what was the actual issue? :anyone

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  4. Chethan

Braking System is just un-matcheable in GP

Hi Friends, i am a frequent traveller to Coimbatore from bangalore and there are two ways to reach coimbatore from here. 1. Four lane expressway via salem 2. Bangalore - kanakapura - kollegal - chamarajnagar - bannari ghat - sathyamangalam - coimbatore..

Let me tell i strictly take the route no 2 for the below reasons...

> Almost the entire route is scenic and you can enjoy lot more and you never get bored...
    > you will be driving thru hilly roads with full of twisties for more than half of the total distance..
    > You will save 50 odd kms if you take route 2 and toll charges of 250+ Rs....
    > roads are great till coimbatore but for only 15+ kms in between....but route 2 is just single road two lanes....
    > on route 1 20+ kms stretch near avinashi is just pathaetic.....it takes more than an hour to cross that bad stretch...

Lot of my friends advice not to take route 2 coz of single, hilly roads and twisties.... and most of them do not drive fiat cars... :) and they do not know about the handling and braking abilities of fiat GP....

It is just because i drive GP i take on this route.....and one must drive on this route to know how fun it will be to drive...

Distance on Route 2 will be apprx 330+ and i do that in 5.30 hrs including two breaks of each 10 mins..(one at Bannari Amman temple and another for tea at Hasanur)... and i can do it in 5.30 hrs just because of ABS+EBD features...it will always boost my confidence while i am on this stretch.....

I just can say in words that how good the braking ability of GP is... one has to experience it to know....
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I don't understand this. How would you say that you can do it 5.30 hrs just because of ABS+EBD feature?

While I agree that the braking in GP is good, but it can't be because of ABS+EBD. The effectiveness of braking is no way connected with ABS+EBD.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Braking forces to the front and rear wheels are optimized and maximum braking is ensured.When braking with more than one occupants, EBD increases the motive forces to the rear wheels more than when there is only one occupant, increasing brake effectiveness compared to non-EBD vehicles.

- - - Merged Post - - -

it is connected
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. I agree to certain extent because even Punto Dynamic(old) had very good braking but EBD sure added spice to braking ability may not ABS.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yeah i believe EBD is more important feature than ABS,rather when ABS comes into picture EBD don't.
    Both says " When its you,its not Me and when its Me, its Me " :D ?
    ABS helps/supports EBD ?
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Effectiveness of braking means how well you can come to a stop ..
    Unless there is another definition ABS + EBD surely helps in braking.
  10. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

ABS is a must to have in any car, but ABS increases stopping distance, a sudden brake at a lower speed also may not stop your car within an expected distance where a car without ABS might skid but stop on a normal road condition :). Though this will be just opposite if the road is slippery.

I faced this problem once myself when I switched from Santro to Swift (ABS) and my calculation of stopping distance went wrong,
    since I changed my driving style :)