1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Ghaziabad
    Linea T-Jet
    You aren't considering all the components thus the difference seems very high. I am sure if you consider all the components then you will find the cost difference very reasonable. Just an example - the spark-plugs used in 1.4 Fire are at Rs 125/plug while the ones used in T-jet (iridium) are ~Rs. 1100/plug. The price of brake-pads in 1.4 Fire are ~1/3rd of T-jet's brake-pads. 1.4 doesn't have rear discs. Then there's turbo, inter-cooler, and many other components that are there apart from the engine. The biggest difference is the brand Abarth. Keeping Abarth within 100K of regular Puntos will certainly dilute its value. Fiat's target segment should not be the one looking to buy a regular 8-10 lacs car. It should be the one that wants an enjoyable, safe, performance machine and has a budget of 12-15 lacs. The only option for that person is Octavia TSi or Polo GT TSi + serious mods. A Punto Abarth with minimal mods will be far superior to a Polo Tsi with serious mods.
    cassini likes this.
  2. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Not that I matter, but as far back as I can remember, I have been crying hoarse that the ridiculous 1.2 67 BHP joke should be removed. Simply does not benefit a premium car and instead of always saying folks do not buy they should maybe listen to the folks sometimes.

Here is my thought - have some niche products come in Jeep, Abarth, maybe 500X etc and re-build the Fiat brand. Once the legend spreads to the aam aadmi release some less premium models and fill them with stuff like loud speakers, rear view camera, touchscreen, bottle holders etc. Fiat is here to do business and not sell 100 cars for the so called enthusiast. So they cater to the volume segment too (at the least at the Punto level).
  3. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Well done FIAT. 145hp @11ls is a great deal. Swift with 75hp selling @8.5l (without any quality parts except fiat engine) then how is our great community expecting this little monster within 10. What a chassis, suspension, etc...

It's a real hot hatch....

Appreciate fiat for bringing such a wonderful car...
    cassini likes this.
  4. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    @Saket Sidana
    I think you are right the price is little bit more and why I feel this is more because Linea emotion T-jet is costing 9.28 exshowroom New Delhi due to tax for big engine and >4 mtrs.
    1.So Punto T-jet enjoys the one advantage of hatchback and saves tax margin.
    2. What Abarth brings to the table in terms of cutting edge technology is that 40 bhp more power or what else apart from Linea T-jet? Because Linea has same spec as Punto so why it is costing more than Linea T-jet and can't we achieve this 20-40bhp more from stock after remap?
    3. If Abarth brand commands more money than the service and sales experience should be atleast par with German premium/Other premium brands so here FCA never provided and still the same attitude of hit or miss in service. my FNG Harish garage is more capable/Proffesional in solving issues than FASS, TFI Bangalore knows better.
    Brand name never creates the premium feel the product should reflect with cutting edge technology and inturn it will create brand for itself.

So why as a customer should I pay more for Abarth Punto T-jet instead of this I will happily buy Linea T-jet where it is running with 1lakh discount(even more if you are good at bargaining) and gets the same spec and may be more bhp through remap with wolf Moto or TOT by spending 30k.
    In current time car sales is a package of ASS,Maintainance,Reliability,Cost so FCA would have been little
    Carefull in pricing the product now,instead of giving Lakhs of discount after few months down the line and if the discounts kicks within 6 months FCA may face one more dud and will be successful in killing one more brand.
    Let's hope by good grace doesn't happen and may find good success.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @vista7155

The Linea t-jet cannot be compared to the Abarth Punto in this manner: am certain the WHOLE experience, the aesthetic experience esp in urban flowing traffic at non-rush hour will be decidedly different: more powerful, yet smaller, lighter, nimbler, saucier, spicier, etc.

Besides, there's the matter of the 'imaginary': the Abarth Punto is young and lusty and authentic to its very distinctive-in-India brand and styling (Abarth) while the Linea t-jet, though segment best, is still too reducible to a comparo with other sedans from other, more trusted brands, and is a bit too much of a 'mature sophisticated man' type vehicle. EVEN if the rumoured 145 bhp 'powered by Abarth' Linea t-jet comes in a few months' time!

Net-net I suppose it does not matter whether it's the Punto and Avventura Abarth t-jet that sell or the regular Punto and Linea show a spike in sales: what matters is that folks' attention and potentially affection/trust is captured by the FIAT brand....and its dealers, and that FIAT looks like it's busy in the marketplace, has 'new' stuff to offer, etc.

@Raj_pol

Yeah, they need a decent volume car, beyond the Abarth Punto, that sells without too much or indeed any discounting, and that can also be exported, either fully-built or in parts/sub-assemblies/components etc.

As a first step that surely needs to be a crossover in the S Cross, Creta, XUV500, Duster space. The 500X or at least the 500L trekking with a simpler suspension and adjustments platform-arcitecture wise (for cost reasons) would be just the thing, to accompany for the sake of economies of scale the Jeep c-suv, its close-sibling. Given the 'legend of the t-jet' and the essential 1.5 mjd (which they must share with tata at least, if not also Maruti).....one can see several hundred of these sell every month, plus there would always be export options.

Straight away getting-back into the cut-throat end of the mass market (i.e., where the Punto sits today) would be an error: first the 12-16 lakh crossover, by mid-2017, only THEN the all-new Punto or all-new Linea-replacement, say 8 months later, no?

Meanwhile, under Kevin F. am certain they can keep 'looking busy', by say deploying the t-jet in one or two other ways, by offering the touchscreen avn across the board, amt-s or even say the ddct+diesel-as-well-as-tjet, sustained marketing as they've begun to do, hopefully thereby increasing transaction prices/reducing discounts....
  6. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    If the pricing is wee bit on the higher side to keep the delears in the business, it just fine.
    But the delears have to be really proactive to sell more and just stoping blaming FCA for lack of ads and marketing.
    One way they can sell more is to first create the data base of all luxury car owners in their town and market Abarath Punto as their second or probably 3rd car.
    I persume for most of them price may not be a factor, and when they drive A.Punto they should feel a lot of similarities with their luxury brand and feel happy about it and probably will give more positive opinion among their peers.
    From the delears side they should treat them as they are treated by the luxury brand delears.......
    We need proactive FCA delears, as you know however great a product can be without right exposure its as good as dead meat...
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Revv

Revv Amatore

Chinchwad, Pune
    Chinchwadgaon Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Wow! This price is on higher side? Are you guys kidding me? People were hoping (or shall I say wishing) that this car would be priced below 10 lakh before it was launched. Now they want it to be below 9.
    Well now I am also waiting for price to be dropped to 7 lakh. Otherwise I am not buying it ! And yeah that too only if Fiat manages to replace the gearbox with better one and provide auto transmission (on performance hatch :banghead:)!

P.S. my friend sold his performance hatch Swift Vxi manufactured in 2007 for 3 lakhs last week. And those who bought it thought it was a good deal !!!
    renjithlal likes this.
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vista7155 and @Saket Sidana

Though your reasons are absolutely valid from the perspective as a buyer but there are lot of other things which FCA might have to see as far as the pricing is concerned.The biggest of them would be the Warranty given for a racing machine knowing the fact that it would be abused to the limit because they say so in their ad.
    I think the point here for discussion should be that whether this new launch will be able to justify its value in long term or not.
    If it can perform on all parameter including servicing and definitely part life then there is no harm in putting your money on a good product.Though I am highly skeptical that FCA might have used the top notch product which need to make it trouble free over time but lets see when we get a closer look.
    Frankly speaking I have strong doubt because there is a saying" Habits Die Hard" which is very true on FIAT.

@Deepak
    True it would be a FGT in both but FYI when we increase the mass flow rate of air the EGT will rise tremendously and to counter that you need better material science of Turbo to withstand that.Putting a turbo in a gasoline engine is very difficult task because of the higher CV of petrol and lower flash point. The turbo in both the cars might be different and if at all they are same then we can very well presume that it is nothing but its a thoroughly tested remapped car.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    Saket Sidana and Deepak like this.
  9. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    These are test drive experiences of a TBHP-ian
    ---"Test drove The Punto Evo Abarth at Moti Nagar West Delhi, right after the polo Tsi and Creta diesel automatic.
    The Volkswagen and Fiat showrooms looked deserted compared to the Chaos and Car buying frenzy at the Hyundai showroom.

As for the driving experience , it can be summed up in one line:

The Punto Abarth eats Creta for breakfast and Polo Tsi for lunch!

The Abarth Punto thrashes the Polo Tsi hollow be it performance or handling. Its just on a different planet. It makes Polo feel slow and annoying.

As for the gearbox I felt that it was slightly better than my friend's Linea T-jet, and is in no way an impediment to the performance and though its it is not slick like the Swift but its much better nissan/renault/ford(new Figo) gearbox.

If you want driving pleasure backed by real performance then this is it. I don't know why on earth are people cribbing about mileage in a hot hatch. My zest revotron (not the last word in fuel efficiency) at times gives me 22+ on expressway (have posted picture in the zest thread as well) at a constant 90 KMPH in 5TH gear.

For me this is it. To hell with diesel automatic SUV and posh badge.
    I don't care what my neighbors will say, I don't care if the car sell for crap during resale, I don't care if my leg hurts in traffic(reason for considering automatic), I want to buy this."-----by TBHP member 'fuelinmyveins'.

And the reaction of TBHPian 'asr245' to the test drive experience of ''fuelinveins'
    "God, I hate you!Your small TD review is making me make plans which I would not have considered otherwise. I am almost ready to beg+borrow+steal enough to get this one.

Please do buy this one. If I decide not to beg+borrow+steal, I still want it to be successful enough so that I can buy one when I am finally in a position not to beg+borrow+steal.

(do kids really need to study in private schools? aren't govt. schools good enough? I studied in those. Weren't that bad. you see where i am going with this)"
  10. Calvinv

Calvinv Timido

Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    http://overdrive.in/reviews/exclusive-fiat-avventura-abarth-first-drive-review/

OTR (Mumbai): A little under 12Lakhs
    Highlights:
    - About a second slower to 100kph than the Abarth Punto (But still under 10 :)
    - No change in ground clearance (205mm)
    - Priced above the Linea T-jet top variant
    - Initial comments point to a lighter clutch than the non-Abarth version

Who would look at this over it's brothers (Abarth/Evo Punto, Linea Tjet):
    - Those who wanted at least as good performance as the Linea Tjet, but with a smaller footprint, given traffic conditions, parking, smaller turning radius, etc
    - For those with specific cargo space requirements (The Linea's rear seat now doesn't fold. Also, hatchbacks can take bulky items that sedans cannot accommodate)
    - Those who want even more ground clearance over the Punto Tjet
    - Those who prefer the 'Adventure' look

The first three points are relevant to me, but I do realize that it is a very small pool of people, and can easily see why the Abarth Punto's numbers will be way higher.
    On a parallel note, I feel the reason why 'pseudo suvs' are doing well in India is not just about the looks. If you like driving, you are going to cross State borders, enter rural areas, and good GC then becomes a must, rather than a look. When our cities get water logged, or in really bad pot holed areas, high GC comes into play again. So this will remain a high (pun unintended) priority for most people.

:Mods, do edit if including links here is disallowed:
    Revv, limraj and prabhjot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.