1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    is the turbo in abarth FGT or VGT? any input?
  2. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    The overdrive writer is clearly biased towards polo. He narrates major shortcomings of polo in a single sentence which go unnoticed to a common reader while he writes a full paragraph for even a small flaw of abarth punto. It's not a fair comparison.
  3. Revv

Revv Amatore

Chinchwad, Pune
    Chinchwadgaon Pune
    Linea 1.4
    This is one smashing product but sadly India does not deserve anything like this at least at this moment. As @prabhjot already said Fiat will be lucky to sell 150 Abarths per month. I am very very disappointed at current state of affairs in India. Everyone wants an iphone even though any phone with one tenth of its price has same (or better?!) features. They won't mind paying thousand rupees for a pizza with 100 grams of vegetables as toppings but lose their mind when onion becomes 50 rs per kg. And so called enthusiasts who wanted Fiat to give a hot hatch to them with powerful engine and also cost less than 10 lakh, will now go and buy Swift citing 'dreaded Fiat service' as reason. I am so sick of all this s**t..
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    sanjay_mugur, SVN, Ravi Varma and 3 others like this.
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Revv : well said bro. people who bash fiat should get one thing straight. They criticize fiat bcz it sells less in number. But mind you Fiat is not in loss. They earn enough through MJD engine sales. And look at their current vehicle line up. Punto, Linea , T-jet, 595, Abarth Punto/Avvy-- all are driver's cars. I am proud to say FIAT is the only company which has all the Driver's cars. all of it!
    No matter what indian mass think of, Abarth is better than any car any day!
    SVN, cassini and prabhjot like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Saket Sidana

This car's not meant for outright sales numbers. It cannot be, since in India there is no mass market for hot-hatches, or sedans. The mass car market is nothing like the recently evolved mobike one.

It's more for the brand, and i suspect for the dealers. Remember: the dealer would rather have-to-sell a few higher-margin cars than a whole lot of heavily discounted ones!

T-jet @145hp needs braking and suspension components to be different, Indian-adaptation and localization development and testing costs......and low economies of scale for parts means added cost, plus costs for all the extra and loud and better marketing...adds up.

That's the problem: economies of scale are with Maruti and Hyundai, but they could not be bothered to provide propah-ly, full-ly engineered mass market cars, while those who are (FIAT and....arguably only FIAT and Tata)......do not have scale for better pricing and have hitherto not been allowed-to-by-the-'market'. The VW Polo TSi dsg sells something like 150-200 cars a month, and it has many compromises in build, steering, ride, ground clearance, braking, tyres and what not, apart from being a whole segment down on size. And so on.

In any case, there's no doubt the Abarth Punto is well-priced, for what is offered, so i do disagree with you on this point. You'd have to get a Skoda Octavia 1.8 Tsi at 18-20 lakhs plus (i think) before anything approaching this level of engineering and design, i.e., all-round, great sporty-car-ness is possible.

In that sense, the Abarth Punto/Avventura truly is as pioneering as the original, the Palio 1.6.

The likely thing to happen will be what did with the Avventura: the latter created the sub-segment and the buzz, but it was the Hyundai i20 Active that copycatted the sales away.

But it's OK: the Abarth Punto is but the first step in a series of BIG ones for FCA, from now through the JEEP launch through to 2017/2018.

There just is NO sales-figure magic bullet in the Indian car bazaar, am afraid. Although, who knows, the Abarth Punto and Avventura may surprise, a bit!
    bharath and deepakhon like this.
  6. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Digressing from the topic but you are right. I am ashamed to say that we are a developing country and yet the primary concern of our people recently seems to be what I eat or do not. I am unafraid to say that our country has a long way to go before we are even remotely capable of understanding well designed products. Sadly we have very fair true engineers who can design something from the ground up. I do not buy into all of Fiat's products and still do not buy into the Avventura or the other crossovers for that matter. However, there cannot be a better designed hatchback at the moment than the Punto Abarth. Period.
    prabhjot and Ravi Varma like this.
  7. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    At last Fiat launched the hot hatch.congrats to them for bringing this product here and starting new series of truly hot hatch and not putting just stickers and calling as sporty.
    Any how IMHO it should have been priced on par with TSI or 20K more and once this was moving well from the showrooms they would have raised slowly as ford did for Ecosport.
    This is perfect time of launching the product as TSI have been stopped for while.
    They can put the big holdings in front of VW and pull them to Fiat showrooms and convert into sales.
    One more thing about these auto magzines they really influence the buyer of this segment? I really don't think who ever enters FAS he will be fully aware what he is getting
    From FCA and VW in terms of service and maintainence.
    The buyer will be going to do a detailed round of test drive and I am dam sure beloved punto T-jet will not disappoint the buyer in performance against the TSI now I see only issue is the FASS they have to pull their socks up to give atleast satisfied service and avoid getting the cars for repeated visit each time.
    Best of Luck Fiat and I hope this product should hit 100-150 mark every month
    Raj_pol and prabhjot like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Perhaps, they will launch a Linea-tune of the t-jet as a 'Powered by Abarth' Fiat Punto Evo? At say 8.xx lakhs? Perhaps an excise-duty benefitted 1.2 t-jet (same engine with shorter stroke etc)? Kevin Flynn did say they were going to do other things with the 'Abarth' engine i.e., the Indian, localized t-jet, in that interview to S Patankar on ndtv, after all.

In which case the whole Abarth brand launch makes sense, EVEN from a sheer sales-number perspective, let alone from a ensure-dealer-buoyancy one? A bit of a halo effect on the regular Punto? Just as they've done for the Avventura?

Hope so.
    Raj_pol likes this.
  9. cassini

cassini Novizio

Bangalore
    Germany
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry for posting this. Does anybody have a better quality version of this video? That white one looks smashing hawt!!! By the way, when did Fiat India started advertising in movie theaters!! I'm so pumped XD

SOOZ_P, Sujit508, prabhjot and 2 others like this.
  10. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Its mouth watering!! Fiat is showing mass what there dna is n what they are capable of. Its the official launch of scorpion punto. Am enthralled to see the commercial today in toi bangalore. Way to go fiat..err..Abarth the "Scorpion king!!"
    DSC_0736.JPG
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.