1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Will they post a OFFICIAL REVIEW for EVO T-Jet(whenever it will be launched)? For some mysterious reason they did not post one(official review) for AVVY.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 24, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 24, 2015 ---
    Hope EVO T-Jet will also be equipped with all 4 disc brakes and make the package just irresistible(to me atleast) at that price point.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 24, 2015 ---
    Actually EVO T-Jet should be equipped with all 4 disc brakes considering the kind of performance this car would be able to deliver
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot- a small correction, if I may. The Linea T-Jet weighs about 1258 kgs (2014). The 2010/11 model weighs about 1230kgs. The Avventura MJD weighs about 1255 kgs. I am assuming that the T-Jet Avvy will be in the range of 1220-1250 kgs. So it is not any lighter than the Linea . Actually, relative to its dimensions, it is actually a beefier car than the Linea. Therefore you can expect the same 10-12 kmpl mileage on the T-Jet Avvy in city conditions and around 14-15 kmpl for highway runs. Unless they tune it differently, but that will make a difference of 10-15 % max. So lets set the expectation right away. The T-Jet is not about km per litre. It is about all those esoteric values that Fiat enthusiasts crave for- high speed ride, enhancing the twisty road capabilities of your car . You need to live life in the 2500-3500 rpm regime to live those esoteric values. Alas, in our Hindustani world, these dreams are often diffused quickly when you encounter a motorcycle or a tempo dawdling lazily across the highway, or the frequent dog/buffalo/ villager that suddenly materializes as you turn the corner beautifully at 60 kph on a well paved tarmac. Then you get back to the 1500 rpm, clutch-and-gear dance, silently cursing those who have interrupted your riverie !
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip ....the flip side though: find a gap in the traffic moving along say at 35-40 odd km/l and shoot/scoot into it instantaneously without a gearshift, even in fourth let alone third gear. The reduced gearshifting in somewhat-flowing traffic is such a boon, i find, quite apart from the more 'turbocharged' fun.

Am fortunate to enjoy the big wide roads, highways really, between and within Delhi and Gurgaon, you see, and try to let the t-jet decide/dictate my travel times, so that it can nicely stretch its long legs, despite traffic.:cool: A fair bit better than the excellent mjd 75 hp in city traffic, at least here and from my experience, not as much better than it on the fast open road as one might think/imagine, unless one loves to rev high of course.

In short: there will be the normal anti-Fiat nit-piking/double standards i.e., finding untenable reasons to not admit that these are far and away the best all-round petrol (and diesel?) cars in their segments. :p:mad:
    sandipan_r15 and kgramesh like this.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Here is my wish and it is nothing out of the world. If they do release a T-jet version, they should take care of a few basics. Things that the junta cares for just so to highlight it's capabilities. That should include the rear view camera and a good music system. The 4 disc brakes - well dicey since they would increase expenses maybe keep them optional or have a version with 4 airbags and 4 disc brakes :p.

Why the hell am I saying these things in a machine which is essentially designed for speed? So that the magazines which so many people read find no gaps. Then race it with the VW and if the T-jet turns out to be significantly better highlight the same.

How does this help?

a. The guys who would have bought the GT twins for the pure power loose the brag value since (I assume) the T-jet is faster.

b. You also have all of the smaller issues taken care of - and for half the price of the DSG provide them with 4 discs and maybe even additional air-bags.

So, atleast till the competition responds we get to brag and we get good brand value - get the initial enthusiasts with the deep pockets moving in, showing interest. And while we are at it, can we smooth the freaking gear box please?

If we get both the bling and the power we might get a few moving in from the M and HY camp too. Dreaming am I :p ?

How I would love to smoke a freaking GT twin in a Punto - no hold barred race fastest car wins.
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol Do i sense the prospects of you trading in your diesel for this could-hardly-be-sweeter-and-spicier machine, the Evo t-jet?;)

I agree totally man: when they launch this/these 2 t-jetted cars, they need to also launch a "cup of daft, infantile gizmo-s overfloweth" Absolute edition for all three cars. And market the one together and via the other. Get intrigue and traffic going through the doors of showrooms, and for TD-s.

Offer TD-s to even the upwardly-mobile pet-dogs of the aspirational, monied young ones, and/or their aunty-ji-s too! A t-jet Evo/Avventura with touchscreen ice-setup WILL be utterly persuasive to even the hard-boiled: provided you can get a more-than-usual number to TD it. No? No?:D:rolleyes:
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot, ICE is so tricky that the higher price for the same can be an issue since older expensive (branded) stuff some like to carry over and keep upgrading. Having said that they could go for something similar to Harman Kardon offered on newer Tata offerings. There already are superior Italian audio brands, better to look there for some quality solution that many customers wanting complete package could/would prefer.

prabhjot likes this.
  7. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

Well, the MJD 93BHP Linea is certainly up to the task with a Linea T-Jet on an open highway. Both can easily hold at a steady 140-150 kph, and IIRC the MJD Linea actually has better torque available in the 5th, so you dont need to downshift from lets say, 90 kph to 120 kph, whereas you do need to downshift in the T-Jet. But ,as I mentioned, one very rarely finds completely empty stretches of tarmac to utilize these capabilities.
    With respect to smoking a GT TSI/TDI, it also depends on the gearshift a bit, and when you extract the power/torque.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and prabhjot like this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @kgramesh In that case, you'd be well advised to seriously look at the 90 hp mjd. i.e., ignore the rubbish about being under-powered etc that the automag and other hacks have been spreading about it.

But: as @acechip says, one hardly ever gets completely open roads, one instead gets open stretches followed by denser ones followed by gaps to shoot/scoot in etc, in which case the t-jet is surely the more flexible engine, with fewer gear shifts? But sure, for running up high miles of pure highway driving: the 90 hp is probably best?

@asimpleson I am suspecting, sir-ji, that Fiat MAY be thinking exactly along these very Tata-Harmon lines!? Was there not a post by someone who sighted a camo-ed Evo t-jet at the Harmon office building in Bangalore? or Chennai, was it? Rumour etc i know, but it seems too obvious a well-priced opportunity not to be true, you know?;)
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    sandipan_r15 and asimpleson like this.
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

What I like about the Fiats is how the steering weighs up when particularly darting about the gaps or on the twisties. You are always confident of pointing the nose in the intended direction. Whereas in my Micra which is a ridiculously easy EPS , you can never be sure if the car will oversteer or understeer during high speed cornering, coupled with lighter weight. But yes, the Linea feels like a truck at parking/low speeds when I drive it after a longish stint in the Micra. So- to cut the story short, I dont think people should hold up on their purchases if power-on-paper is a discerning factor. Both MJD-90 /T-Jet are almost evenly matched. The T-Jet will be meaningful only if you are able to extract the performance on a regular basis. Also, in my opinion, the time has come to end the price premium charged on diesel models.
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.