1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune
  2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Amit Rox likes this.
  3. ksdr

ksdr Timido

Vijayawada
    Did you try the sport mode in Nano , I felt it was nice option to have.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Well, I didn't expect this at all. i20 N: sports version from Hyundai at 114 bhp. It's going to take the cream away from Abarth, no!!! :banghead:
    Autocar: "Hyundai i20 N Sport with 115ps revealed": http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-news/hyundai-i20-n-sport-with-115ps-revealed-397179.aspx
    Zigwheels: http://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/news/hyundai-i20-nsport-unveiled-with-115ps/22951/
    Article mentions "no news of India launch" though but Hyundai would definitely bring it in India pretty soon as they have been launching their products in India first and then taking them global.
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I am quite positive that the enthusiastic clientele of Abarth won't even look at the hyundai. Hyundai has its name only in the normal junta segment, but not in the enthusiastic segment. This is Fiat's and other German's territory. I would worry more for Polo 145 TSI rather than a Hyundai.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    This Hyundai's far way, and is a Euro-centric-model where they have to 'keep up with the Euro-s', but at a big discount in price. The turbo-petrol engine, their very first in history i believe, will come here sooner, perhaps, than the 'N Performance' badge (with ANY credibility). Not that their puny 1.2 NA petrol on the i10, i20 is impeding their sales at all! But when Maruti introduces its small turbopetrol engine, locally-made, Hyundai will have to respond.

Abarth models, made and/or possibly assembled CKD in India, could easily prove to be a nice little, niche, but very profitable operation here (with a few exports too, say to Australia, S Africa, Sri Lanka...) over time: perhaps a 145 hp, 215+Nm Abarth Linea? A ckd 124 Spider roadster at less than 25 lakhs? In 2018: an Abarth 500X if the normal Fiat 500X is locally-made and launched here by then? Maybe even the first diesel Abarth-s, Punto+Avventura, when the 1.5 mjd becomes available next year?

Remains to be seen, BUT it seems to me for once their timing may be very right: not too early (Palio 1.6, Linea 1.4 tjet) nor too late/delayed, in market opening/opportunity-terms as well as in terms of the competition's offerings (there are none to compete with the Abarth Punto). That is: provided pricing remains distinctly 'local' and accessible.

They really must ensure the Abarth Punto is not too much more than 9 lakhs ex-shwrm, for eg! To build a 'legend' in India....you've got to be 'cheap' enough, in BOTH senses of the term, though this Abarth will of course just be so in the sense of 'inexpensive' (hopefully).:D
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    uhh! i20 and 145 horses.
    how can one ride those mad 145 horses with a dead steering:blackalien:
    Hyundai better suited for 'Mileage segment'. Performance segment is still a dream for Hyundai.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hyundai do move extra fast, don't they (though they are at least 2 years too late with their small cuv, "the perfect suv", in India and everywhere else too)?

That's just because they're only one part of a monumentally big conglomerate that is quasi-sovereign (S Korean government), and have access to funds and risk-capital at next to 0% interest, i.e., for free!

So it may be that they will try to lie and bluff their way into the 'performance' niche in India, and other very un-knowing, immature markets, just as they've been doing vis-a-vis their claim to being a premium or luxury but vfm car brand, or the hilarious "Perfect Suv" type marketing of the Creta. Long long before they've actually matched up on their engineering of engines and handling, steering etc.

They've been massively successful, including astoudingly well with the 'perfectly fake-suv' Creta, so....?

Which is why it MAY be that FCA's future in India hinges more on the high-distinction/USP (as percieved and not just real) ABARTH-brand, as also JEEP (provided Jeep can also eventually reach down with a model and with pricing in the Duster/Creta/S-Cross range or even lower, and perhaps also with the Euro-centric '500'-style models (500X/L, 500 5-door, 124 Spider?) than with the bread-and-butter nameplates (palio, punto, sienna, linea).

The Japanese and the Korean marques will find it harder to swamp such models in the car baazar, while they barely need to try in the run-of-the-mill Punto/Linea segments: it just happens as if automatically!

And that is the real importance of the Abarth launch (and 2017 onwards of the localized, lower-priced JEEPs): if it is even moderately successful sales- and not just image/buzz-wise, it may be a signpost for FCA's altered strategy in India (exports + niche=sporty or chic or pukka suv rather than unprofitable mass market 'appliance'-cars).
  9. avi_loveindia

avi_loveindia Amatore

FiatLand
    Grande Punto 1.2
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Nice.

However, Hormadz's succinct review makes the rest appear like juveniles. For e.g., the failure to mention the wide torque band, and therefore the minimal need for an autobox, since gearshifts are so few, is THE distinguishing trait of the 1.4 t-jet, since it unlike say the ecoboost does not have much turbolag (relative to peak torque) in low gears, and yet revs pretty high and fast without torque running out (as Hormardz said) "in any gear".

The 1.4 t-jet is much better than the 1.2 tsi offered on the indian Polo, because it has MUCH more torque, AND a noticeably wider torque-spread. In fact given the lightened (compared to the European-spec) build and many other components (such as steering and suspension) of the Indian Polo "GT" tsi, even the Polo tsi does NOT need the dsg autobox!

To pay for an expensive and arguably unreliable dsg transmission on that turbopetrol on a pretty small, lightish-weight car is just a waste of money imo: it does not need THAT many gearshifts. Other than in bumper-to-bumper traffic (hardly the place to be driving a, ahem, "GT" "hot"-car and therefore hardly the reason to buy one), the dsg is pure waste even with this little VW turbopetrol!

It is offered with this 1.2 tsi in the Uk, as a "Blue Efficiency" varient, as a means of getting better-than-manual fuel efficiency NOT for "GT" sportiness!:hilarious:

For example: I have in a year and a half since I got my Linea t-jet not gone on any notable, fast, long highway drives, and yet the t-jet pleasures are ALL there regardless, even in minimally-flowing city traffic, all because of the awesome torque in "any" gear at "any" rpm (exagerating only minimally).And of course the all-4-disc brakes.

The last thing I, at least, would need on the t-jet Linea would be an autobox, let alone one on the Abarth Punto! At least in the more flowing traffic between Dilli and Gurgaon one frequents. Now the matt grey with orange garnish+decal+ORVM, that i'd have paid up a bit for!;)

btw, is the argument these reviewers are making for rowdier, more raucous exhaust notes the right one, from a sales-offtake/product-planning POV? Not sure....perhaps as an 'official', warrantied, install, for a price of course, at dealer level, instead? One wonders what Fiat india will do on this score, if anything?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.