1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The gearbox as such has no reliability issues. What bothers is the rubbery shift and the long throws which eats up time when you want to clock a good time, be it track or the 0-100 dash times.

People who mostly crib are the ones who have not driven the car or the ones who flow along with the tide (if you know what I meant).

For god sake no AMT on this please.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    It should be in line with the Linea T-JET. One might wonder that Linea T-JET gets a lower state of tune, so it should be more frugal, but then it is heavier as well, by 100 kgs. So one should expect anywhere around 9-11 in city and around 15-16 on highways.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 25, 2015 ---
    I agree with you, but at the same time dont you think, the target audience for this Abarth belting out 145 horses is a niche segment who are hardcore petrolheads/enthusiasts and dont give a damn about FE.
    Fiat got the fuel guzzler tag, from the normal commuter class public, not from the enthusiasts. So as long as Fiat is bringing out performance oriented cars and targeting that niche segment, I think it would make the Fiat presence felt and would improve their brand equity in India. The only grey area I see is marketing :D. Lets hope Mr Kevin does the needful in full tashan!!
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Whencut86

How the outright 145 hp figure can be a guide to the fuel efficiency readout is impossible to say. I guess what matters is the low-gear torque, and the 'driving smart' in the city (avoiding excessive early upshifting and/or too much downshifting). If the Linea t-jet's anything to go by: its in-traffic mileage should, all else like driving style being equal, be from 9 to 11/12+/-. This engine's superbly flexible: even at high speeds on highways it yields great mileage, say 14-16+/-.

Although if all 145 hp are put to 'topspeed' test.....;)

So you'd advise them against offering the Punto, Avventura and maybe even Linea (t-jet or mjd) with the amt, later i mean, not now at Abarth Punto launch?

I have not driven it: is the manual override mode slower than a pure-manual shift? i ask because it sure seems like it's very convenient: amt on its own in plodding traffic and manual mode when speeding/accelerating? Or is it too slow and unrefined for it to work well for Fiat in the marketplace?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
    Raj_pol likes this.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @nkrishnap

Even Suzuki's alto which is very much less priced than Punto has better shifting and simultaneously does not have any gearbox issues.Cars mostly run on Indian roads seldomly have Gearbox related issue otherwise the box will run its life without any problem. An average man is more concerned about how easily he can drive rather than how good is the gearbox
    So as far as cribbing about the gear transmission is concerned yes I also sometime curse Fiat for the setup they have provided.Possibly I think I am not a novice (may be wrong )still am not able to slot the gears perfectly when driving with fast gear change.So we should admit the fact that they have a weak setup as far as transmission is concerned.

To clear more doubts I insist if they do not come come up with a refreshing transmission including the arms,ball joints the steering rod, rack, bolstered alloys etc to tame that much of power it would be a utter failure and mind it once a brand flops it flops for years to come even if you correct the anomalies. Abarth is a new brand it is upto them how to make it deliver what it stands for: Performance

And as far as Enthusiasts are concerned they would even look at it with much of a Eagle eye than a common mans eye and here if fiat goes with same Transmission it would not take for them much time to get the basics correct.
    So It is totally upto Fiat what they are upto.
    But I would request you not to say that "People who do not know how to drive Crib"

Please take it in Positive spirit with no intention to hurt
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot
    For the ones who appreciate the T-jet and buy the i20 "Naah man the mileage is not okay if you know what I mean"
    For the dude/chick who would end up buying eventually "Mileage, what the freak is that :)"
    nkrishnap likes this.
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Whencut86

It can definitely give a lot of good FE. I can only comment after I am able to see the Power and Torque band spread wrt to RPM.the better the spread the better you have chance of obtaining good FE
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The shifts on the AMT in both Auto mode as well as the Manual mode are slow. I am against only getting the AMT in the Abarth Punto and not the regular models. The regular model should have got it long back with the refreshes. IT IS LONG OVERDUE

Gearbox problems per say means slotting the gears. The ones on the Punto and Linea do not have the slotting issues, but its the feel which is rubbery and longer throws are bogging it down.

Fiat should have got these fixed long back, and they are continuing the with the same old box. No wonder even with the power going up, the torque has gone up by only 212 NM (based on the numbers doing rounds)

I can only smile at the comparison of the gear shift with Alto. Come on, the shifts on the Fiats are not that poor to be even compared with Alto.

I meant about cribbing are the ones who go on posting without even driving the car for a considerable amount of time and commenting that the gearbox is pathetic. The shifts are not great. It seems like you are reading between the lines and concluding that people who do not know to drive crib. Plain misinterpretation. All I was conveying was, it is made to look very bad when in reality it is not actually as bad as it is shown. Hope the air is cleared.

Completely agree on the brand thing, if it gets diluted initially, its very hard to revive it irrespective what improvements are made.

Buying the Abarth for mileage would be oxymoron.
  8. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Agree. Postponed my Avventura 1.3MJD decision for Avventura Abarth. I am buying one for the driving pleasure only. But having said that mileage should not be drastically reduced. 10 in city and 15 in highway sounds good for me. Also find the gearshifts and clutch action OK for me and no big complaints on that front.

Love the Punto Abarth but 155mm GC puts me off. Avventura Abarth will be better for Indian roads (daily usage and touring). Personal feel and so will go for one. Waiting for Diwali. Trade in my Brio get an Avventura Abarth :)
    abhinav_nani, Sujit508 and prabhjot like this.
  9. deepakhon

deepakhon Amatore

Bangalore
    I have only driven Nano AMT, and based on that, I can say that in both auto and manual override, the shifts were SLOOOW. I was literally begging for the shift to happen, and then came the jerk. At least in Nano, I was not impressed with the AMT implementation.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I drove Celerio AMT and I found the gear changes to be quick. Both in auto and with manual.
    prabhjot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.