1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    well said @Raj_pol , yes, this is a very small window of opportunity. Even in my area, no one knows about a 145 bhp Punto. But they all know about the upcoming 180 bhp VW. So Fiat better shove this number of 145 into everyone reading a newspaper or surfing the net. Along with a tagline "Prices start at 6.5 lakhs". Too optimistic? :D
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    As per overdrive first drive review of the 145 Punto Evo Abarth, a 180 PS Punto is also on the cards. It mentions some positives of Kevin Flyns attitude and expecting him to be a hero by the end of his tenure.

Abdul
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    If this South African gentleman manages to turn around Fiat India by understanding our finicky and diverse mindset, he deserves a huge commendation and the top most prize for his Anthropological understanding of Indians. Forget being a hero, he will be worshipped.

It only boils down to pricing now. And effective push marketing.
  4. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    abhinav_nani, prabhjot and Sujit508 like this.
  5. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    That is a great review and an honest ending. That Fiat may not sell in great numbers but it is what they should be doing now to get that passion back. So that's 3 good reviews. C'mon Fiat, just bring down the suspension height a bit, add a growler to that exhaust, and 2 vanity mirrors and a hair comb to set your hair back to shape after a fast ride.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 24, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 24, 2015 ---
    Another bit of news that seems to bode well for the Punto Abarth. This time, the accolades are just rolling. Now if only they get the timing perfect

http://www.cartoq.com/the-fiat-punto-abarth-is-the-mightiest-budget-hatchback-of-india-heres-proof/
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The notion of or, even worse, the belief-in any idea of (in)auspiciousness is daft.

For that very reason, I feel these glowing reviews are terribly INAUSPICIOUS! They're making me, at least, nervous.:p

And so, let's think negatively, now.

---The Abarth t-jet-s are praised so much for performance that it is forgotten that this is a super flexible engine that can yield excellent fuel efficiency too, even in the urban traffic-grind, driven half-smart, that is. And so they get stigmatised like the palio 1.6 for being fuel-guzzlers, which they are not.

---The absence of the ddct (Fiat/Alfa's dsg-equivalent) is held against it for slowing the outright 0-100 times, thereby begging all questions about what a 'very hot', sporty car is all about from an engagement-level PointOfViewAndFeel. Thereby also just being daft, since this engine, with this level of torque AND this wide a power band begs NOT to have an automatic (for much higher cost) since it does not need one. As Hormazd points out in his brilliantly knowledgeable review: this engine needs very few gear shifts, up OR down, other than as a matter of taste, mostly! If the Linea t-jet's any guide, despite its greater weight and the same allegedly, ostensibly horrible gearshift action+gear ratios.

---The Abarth Punto just ends up doing nothing so much as cannibalize Punto Evo 90 hp AND 75 hp sales, one way or another. The credit to Abarth/t-jet being balanced out by the discredit to the Fiat-branded mjd-s.

---There are a flood of TD requests that leave Fiat's dealers unable, for whatever reason, to cope....and satisfy, and thereby end up reinforcing the sense that they and their ASS support will not be worth taking a bet on, whatever the qualities of the car. i.e., the very sorts of things and perceptions that have become a prejudice, a pre-judgment against Fiat (and other brands). Especially since it seems the 'chala ke to dekho' marketing theme seems to an emphasis from K Flynn.

---What else? Ah yes....resale 'value'...."but the model is old, i mean look how good, sporty looking the i20 elite is", "the wife and also parents are agianst such a powerful car, it's unsafe they say, better to buy an i20 obviously, all my friends and their facebook buddies too say"...."too little too late from fiat", etcetera, etcetera.:p

Anyways, what I really meant to say above was that....it is rather regrettable I am saddled with the awesome, effortlessly cool Linea t-jet, and cannot get either the Punto or Avventura Abarth, 'younger' and 'lustier' as they are. Damn, this inauspicious-ness negativity is no good, and.......daft!:D
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Yes @prabhjot : I too think most your points are valid. Especially the TD requests leaving the dealers swamped and thereby irking off the customers and the resale value since the i20 Elite does "almost" everything as the Punto and still has better trims. The cannibalization will anyway happen like the Punto 90HP and the Avventura. Heck, I was going to buy the 90HP and my wife liked the Avventura more. So it can happen.

The pricing will become an issue now. Price it too high and customers go buy the TSI. Price it too low and the remaining Punto MJDs get hit. Let's see that the Master CEO's plan is. I don't envy his position at all.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No intentions of spoiling your Enthusiasm

But if they have retained the gearbox then definitely they might have retained the transmission and the vendors then thequality I strictly doubt. Moreover even if they sell it and if they haven't prepared a remapped plan for ASS upgradation then it will again be a spoiler.

@prabhjot
    Any car can be a Fuel guzzler regardless of its brand if you do not know at what Rpm you have to run which gear to get peak torque range so 1.6 i think might not be. May be it had come before time and people were not mature enough to drive that.
    We had Cielo top End in 1997 and people use to say you have to carry petrol pump with it and we had to tell them that those who say it do not know how to drive. We used to get 13 in city and 16 on highway and mind it I traveled delhi jalandhar in 3.5 hrs (400 km) with windows never rolled down full life.
    I hope the same does not happen with Punto.

Last week I was sitting in FASS and one gentleman came for some work and started in a loud voice that I get 8 on Tjet and it does not give more than that and I am not bothered about the Fuel.I just countered him politely sir you need to study the in Gear acceleration chart of your car and then drive, He just started snubbing me that you do not know what is ingear acc as and you are telling me you don't know who I am. I am a blogger I write about cars. I just asked him politely sir what is the gear ratio of Fifth gear in your car and he was speechless and could not get my point and started you don't know english.
    Then I just stopped conversing because majority are like him. Ignorant fools.

This is a seriously worrying factor for 135 hp as those who cannot drive will say it is a fuel guzzler.
    Dinesh Kumar, Anup, Ganges and 5 others like this.
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot The gear is the only place - I think needs improvement considering what a brilliant car this is and not that there is any competition currently. However, if the T-jet succeeds then the big guys will come with all guns blazing and then things like a gearbox would start to matter.
    Ford might bring the Focus, VW the 180 ps monster, heck even Nissan might jump in the fray.

Where worldwide FCA is without parallel is the Jeep Wrangler area. They really do not have any competition - I am of course excluding Ferrari
  10. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @KKAUL @prabhjot Since you guys are talking about fuel. Any idea what might be the real world mileage of Punto Abarth in city and highway. Just asking!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.