1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Raj_pol , if there's one thing about Fiat that we all know, its that they take their own sweet time. First let the Punto Abarth actually see the light of day. Let us get used to the meaning of the word acceleration and experience it properly. Then we'll think of 180 ps. Its like giving a 100 cc Honda bike owner a 500 cc Superbike. In all likelihood, he'll kill himself on the very first ride.

BTW, just FYI, a friend of mine gave his supermodded Mitsubishi Lancer to the valet at a 5 star hotel. The valet burnt the clutch not knowing how to tap that power. So 180 PS would need some serious driving experience, I think.
    prabhjot, Turbothinghy and Amit Rox like this.
  2. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    My current drive is a Linea MJD which has done 1.80 lakh kms. I m was on the verge of booking a XUV as my next car. However, with this news I am willing to hold my XUV booking (which anyway was a compromise) though this Punto is a vastly different car from XUV. Can someone tell me what is the expected month of launch and will this be sold through all FIAT showrooms or only Abarth showrooms which are not there in Mumbai
    Anup
  3. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @arian, Punto Abarth is getting launched around Diwali. It would be available in all Fiat showrooms and not restricted to the Abarth branded ones.
    prabhjot and Turbothinghy like this.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes Bro, but the bad news is that Volkswagen is also working to get a 150 bhp TSI and 180 bhp TSI Polo. I was hardly surprised as Volkswagen competes with Fiat in the European markets as well :D
  5. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Turbothinghy I do not mind bro. As I keep saying in the forum I am really a fan of no one manufacturer in particular. If we have more folks bringing the real hot hatches it is more fun and also those would be built to European standards to support so much power.

Fiat has to be on their toes. Ford, VW, Nissan etc might be bad on the low end stuff but they are kick ass as far as the high end stuff go and I believe the competition is tougher in the higher segments.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    There is another Fiat/Abarth t-jet launching soon, in EuroAmerica: the Mazda Miata-based 124 Spider. Now THAT car would be truly singular: no Ford, no VW, no BMW, no Merc etc would have anything like it, at anything like its prices. That car could really have a bit of an Indian future, certainly as much as the 595 Competizione at say 30 lakhs, or much less if CKD-ed with a localized powertrain, in which case a Fiat/Abarth would be the only true and most inexpensive pukka sportscar on the Indian market? That or similar credit goes to the Abarth 595 currently, and for several lakhs more, the Mini Cooper S.
  7. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    If even this car, with of course this styling and chassis etc but especially the engine and the brakes+alloys+tyres does not sell at a minimum by the several hundred......well then we Fiat owners and fans will have nothing more left to say to anyone else. Or each other, when it comes to sales, marketing, aftersales etc.

T-jet joys for the driver, and on this suspension+chassis, even for passengers, etc, and if still the market's deaf to it, well....:mooning::finger:
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 23, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 22, 2015 ---
    Consider this.

On cue to the Abarth buildup, what do we see on Autocar's youtube channel: several paid, openly so, 'advertorial' videos for....the Polo 'GT'!

Hormadz Sorabjee himself has just written a praiseful review of the Abarth Punto. Next step, I am guessing, will be a a deflatioanary if not outright nitpiky 'character assassination' of the t-jet Abarth-s, when comparo time comes. Though it will be tough to pulloff even for canny Autocar with the Abarth Punto. However, there always is the 'bad seating position' and the 'notchy gearbox' to take recourse to.

They did exactly this with the Avventura, hence my cynicism. First a lushly praiseful video review by Shapur Kotwal, no less, garnering many many thousands of views on their youtube channel as well as their website....only to be followed by an utter hacking in a video review by Ms.K who did the comparo to the Ecosport. Even as their print edition out at that very time had a much tighter and fairer appraisal.

Personally it bothers me not at all, since I have a low opinion of all commercial news media, let alone lifestyle and consumerist ones like Autocar, even if one can't help using them for certain things.

But as a Fiat/FCA-admirer and owner, one hopes: FCA's upcoming marketing budget has enough allocations for the Automag car review/PR extortion racket!!
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot The number sold of any product is dependent far more on marketing and far less on the quality of the product. This is the unfortunate reality of the current society that we live in. So in this race for FIAT to win they have to put in a lot more money and efforts on their marketing- targeting all segments from the show off, to the rich young kid, to the more matured gentleman to everyone else in between. As I said before advertise till our ear drums bleed and then some more. And then if it still does not sell then we will see.

There are a lot of folks in my office who are not aware of the FIAT Punto - I had been talking to them and they are specifically bowled over by the specs. Not all of them would buy but the word spreads and it is necessary.

FIAT has only a small window of opportunity considering they do not have the brand recognition of a VW in India before they launch the 180 PS hot hatches of their own. The legend has to be built within this very short time.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

+100 for the point about the 'small window of opportunity': starting with the Abarth Punto launch marketing through to the AutoExpo and the Jeep brand launch. It has to be full-on now....or it will inevitably be 'never'.

Provided this 'window.....' is not a chimera?!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.