1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can't control my laugh since I read the post:arghh::arghh:
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    No-one does AUTHENTICITY better than Fiat in India.

In fact, they're probably the ONLY ones to do it at all, anymore? (in the mass, affordable car market)

I guess you need something to be authentic-to, in the first place:

Fiat/Abarth-s are in India reputed and professed and loved in India (if they are known at all) to be similar to the European aesthetics/substance/history/heritage etc. That's because Fiat has a record and a long history here that shows a continuous, repeated, honest regard for those 'values'.

There are car firms that have nothing more to be authentic- and true-to.....than bling/shing, as the Panjabi in me would say. Which is to say: nothing at all.

But: our market's in an amnesiac-mode, excited by the shiny novelty of Cretans and the like, 'aspirationality' it is called.

But without a criteria of AUTHENTICITY, without high, tough standards that look backwards towards history/legacy/originary values/identity i.e., an all-round and serious PROMISE: Italian styling+solid market-leading engineering+affordable/democratic prices.

AND yet, simultaneously, forwards: all the Cretan and Elite and City etc mere novelties for the neo-philic.....are like mere tawdry, shiny, plastic, albeit mint-fresh trinkets and baubles, no matter how exorbitant and otherwise functional, on a Chinese e-commerce website. Or an Indian mela.

Gotta love FIAT+now ABARTH.

Because they're true.

PS
    : ......as is the next FCA brand to launch here, soon: JEEP! Arguably, indeed: even truer, including as an old already-quasi-Indian brand, just like Fiat-in-India.

Not counting Maserati and Ferrari that have just re-launched recently, either, since their hyper-authenticity is more easily achieved/fulfilled at those rarified prices.

It's far harder being 'authentic and true' at mass market prices, which is another reason to admire Fiat and Abarth, no? Especially since the competition, inarguably, is peddling pretty, pretty-'pirated'-maal, OK stuff but that are untrue and maybe even dishonest.

PS#2
    : even the dealers and FASS are now decent enough, no? So what explains the.....over to the 'what fiat should do', 'fiat's weak marketing', 'fiat's weak sales figures' etc threads, where THAT unending anguished-conversation will remain in as full-swing as ever!:p
  3. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Initial impression already up on Team-BHP forum. Can't wait to test drive one. C'mon FCA. Launch the Avventura TJET with same power and during Diwali and you will have my booking. :)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...punto-evo-t-jet-coming-up-35.html#post3772779
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 7, 2015 ---
    Have a question here. Punto Abarth suspension is harder than Punto's. Will the ride in the back seat be the same as Punto or will it be bouncy due to hard suspension. They could have showcased the Avventura Abarth as well.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    prabhjot and abhinav_nani like this.
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Whencut86 .There is no Avvy Abarth. Its Avvy powered by Abarth. No other mechanical changes for Avvy other than the 1.4 TJET. I am hoping they would plonk the same 1.4 TJET as Punto Abarth.

They should ideally have both Punto and Avvy TJET with Linea TJET's engine tune i'e 114 BHP.

And they should have Punto and Linea Abarth TJET with 145 BHP tune and pre 2012 GC. That would make them best handlers by a margin.

Not sure how well Avvy with SUV like GC will handle all those power.
  5. avi_loveindia

avi_loveindia Amatore

FiatLand
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Oncars reporting that Fiat will Launch Punto Abarth in October and Avvy Abarth by December ,,,,, with t-Jet engines and no other exterior or interior changes
  6. carfreak

carfreak Timido

Mumbai
    Who needs a touchscreen when you cant get your hands off the wheel
    Saket Sidana and prabhjot like this.
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The only downside i see with this kind of strategy is cannibalisation of either of the T-JET Puntos. Right now at least Fiat is focusing Abarth as pure performance oriented car, like all Abarths are. Also a the pricing of 114 T-Jet Punto pricing would be tantalizingly close to 90 hp as well.

I feel that Avvy should come up with 114 T-Jet in the emotion trim and Abarth should come with only Punto as they already have 1.4 NA in top petrol trim. This way people would have a lot of choices and the pricing would also not get disturbed or cannibalised.As it is it doesn't make sense of making an out and out performance car with 205 mm of ground clearance.

Also as reported, the Punto Abarth is already coming up with <20 mm GC i.e around 165 mm, which is lower than pre-2012 GC(171 mm).
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 8, 2015 ---
    Bro Punto Abarth is an out and out performance car, which would not have a plush ride like our existing punto's, but still should be be better than Swift :D
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot OT One question - what do you mean by authenticity and why does it matter? I mean folks would say the beetle is an authentic car. I personally find it ugly and for the price it charges an abomination. Everything old need not be good and every new design need not suck.

Coming back to the Punto - in all seriousness if it starts to move well (say 200 to 300 pieces a month) then they should think of having "premium" versions with maybe luxury leather seats, a high - end music system, a rear view system (it does not hurt and I find it useful), a 6 airbags version etc. This if only the initial version sells well.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

Authenticity is about being new, perhaps, even futurist or avant-garde if need be (as Fiat is being in the Indian context by launching the Abarth-s!) BUT doing it according to a pre-existing identity/idea/PROMISE. i.e., an Abarth is an Abarth and not just an affordable/democratic fast car, etc.

A car is just a generic appliance with a feature list, like a cell phone, if it lacks that element that is truly AESTHETIC about it, that element that makes it truly a knowing, knowledgeable pleasure to own and experience: authenticity.

Being true to what values it ('the brand') truly, not dishonestly, not with hot air or bombastic taglines, represents, embodies, has done (well?) in the past and promises to, in new ways, in the 'great' (?) future.

There is no point buying a Renault that is really a Dacia, better to buy a Dacia itself (both the Dacia Logan and Duster have a kind of simple, honest authenticity, which why these cars are hits in so many markets). The duster is an authentic dacia but a fake Renault. To say nothing of the Scala and the Pulse.

There is no point buying a Korean car that is styled in Germany, from a brand that represents.....whatexactly that is singular, original, unique, cutting-edge or eccentric or sporting/racing or tough and ballsy or muscled or chic, displays what record or history of car-values, etc? In fact, that has a long record of plagiarism and copy-catting, proclaimed ever-more falsely as special, premium, perfect, finesse, brilliant etc. INAUTHENTIC. Costs too much too in India, which makes the matter even worse!

VW has certain authentic values and identities it represents, like them or not. But it launched in India by betraying them (3-pot engines, horrific pricing, downgraded build quality and engineering specs etc), recovering some cachet only via the tsi+dsg combo, which does not sell that much on the Polo but was essential to redeem their initial inauthenticity, prove their brand-identity/promise and boasts/proclamations of great 'German Engineering' true, even if several years too late.

Unlike with the motorbike market in india (RE, Pulsars, Yamahas....), the car mass market culture prevelant just does not value the ethics and aesthetics of brand-authenticity, prefering things like vfm, looks, gizmo list, ass assurance and resale value.

Which is why later entrants, and not just Fiat, have found it so hard to build any sort of brand-cachet here (VW, Renault, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Skoda.) Except perhaps for desi butch 'suv'-s: namely, Mahindra?

Fiats have widely acknowledged character and virtues-as-Fiats-specifically, but have suffered for reasons of, in the now-distant Uno/Palio past, lousy product support and service.

Car brands have no value, no identity, no defined character/promise, no authenticity-value (you might say) here, other than a vague trust and even vaguer popularity/herding-numbers.

The sales off-take of the Fiat/Abarth Punto (and Avventura) will, hopefully, prove that, like with motorbikes in the last few years, the 'aspirational' car mass market has at least some minimal room for an 'authentic', a pukka and pure car, rather than a mere 'appliance'-with-a-badge, ass and resale?!
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.