1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    :)

I had same thought yesterday. While discussing WA, one of my friend asked one question: Why? I am/was unable to answer that question.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The latest Thar has improved the interiors to quite an extent and now provides even more value for that kind of price :)
  3. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Possibly a new turbo . If you see the abarth brand they have fitted most challenging engineered items into the car the best example is the seat and the braking design a fixed caliper with 4 cylinder is marvelous I can only imagine what light footed the braking would be stop it from a speed 150 +. Though not available in Punto but definitely they might have put some high performance component such as piston. crank connecting rods.Its just can't be a remap because to give boost of about 25 to 30 % addition of your power you need component to serve the warranty period and company doing the stunt marketing for the first time I think they might not take any chances with the quality.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 5, 2015 ---
    The only hunch I have in Punto 145 Hp ( if believed what would be available) is that when you will accelerate from 0 to 100 in a sprint drive even a slight undulation in the road will give vehicle nose a upward thrust which might affect the driver confidence in high speed driving.Though it is believed that they have lowered the GC but still 160or 170 is quite a big clearance to create a low pressure for vehicle to take off (exaggerated).
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    This car will be the most gargantuan fun EVEN in (flowing) traffic (if there are gaps, ample overtaking opportunities of slower moving or placid/distracted drivers), i.e., EVEN in the cities like Delhi NCR. The torque of 200Nm+, the sure to be tall-enough gearing (gears 3,4,5) will make this car a great urban hoot, even in busy street cities, say at night or earlier morning. The open highway/expressway outright bhp-potency will be less fun than in urban running (albeit only in certain traffic and/or road conditions like say in delhi-Gurgaon), especially given its visual/design/aesthetic allure to all surrounding eyes, and therefore one's own! Much more fun that the Linea t-jet in such urban/traffic conditions even with similar torque figures (much less bhp of course): not just for the 'exotic Italian hotness' factor, but just given its smaller length?
    ramjn, Raj_pol, Amit Rox and 3 others like this.
  5. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I very much doubt (although I wish I would prove wrong) that this Punto Abarth will be priced less than 10 lakhs. I think it will be priced in the current market range of cars that offer 135 to 150 BHP engine power. (More or less)
  6. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    A remap alone may not really help as the rest of the components need to have the capacity to absorb that power. Mostly the headers, plugs, gaskets, rings and valves all have to change to accommodate that sudden burst of rpm. It is interesting that you bring up the upward thrust issue. I don't think it will happen in the Punto as it is a heavier vehicle (upwards of a ton). Also, it is a front wheel drive. The upward thrust comes more when it is a rear wheel drive, I think. And 145 bhp is not that high a power to actually cause upward lift. But then, I'm just bookish. If there is upward thrust, someone should photograph it just to attract envy.

Bang on @prabhjot : When there is so much power available at so low an rpm, overtaking in traffic becomes fun. That is exactly why we take only the S10 in traffic. It is small, compact and delivers all the power at just a tap of the throttle. So zipping past in gaps becomes fun and confident. As a result we actually get to our destination faster since we don't have to trudge along behind a bus. On the highways, this kind of power will be a breeze because there will be zero lag.
  7. lakshminandan

lakshminandan Amatore

North Lakhimpur
    assam
    Linea 1.3
    The punto abarth now with 145 PS under its hood along with enhanced looks and mechanicals may be termed as the first performance car for the masses. If priced correctly it has all the essentials to put the sales charts on fire. But will it be able to turn the fortunes in favor of fiat?IMO if it is production ready, fiat should launch it as early as possible, at least before mid September. Indian junta want to have their car delivered on or before the festive season so that they can show off their friends and relatives. If fiat launch it just before the festivals, all its potential customers may already have been snatched by i20,jazz,polo,s cross, creta, ecosport, duster etc. Fiat should create a sharp buzz and leave it in the market. People will get some time to review the car. It may also be able to pull away some customers of Maruti/Hyundai/Honda etc due to long waiting periods. So if the initial become high, it will gain momentum. Word of mouth spread very fast in India. It may end up as a decent car in terms of sales.
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sorry I beg to differ on that. The upward drift is not only in RWD but I think you have misunderstood my point. The drift in RWD is when we pull the car initially which I am not talking.Please google the windtunnel model of any car there you can understand what I am saying see the front pressure zone.Moreover 145 BHP is too high amount of power for such a small hatch with no extension from behind.Maybe I am wrong or may be I am unable to understand the pressure distribution.
    Lets wait and see from the person who does the first test drive.
  9. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    What would be the GC for Abarth 595? Given that its much smaller than Punto and has more power, so the upward shift thing can be more pronounced in 595?
  10. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @KKAUL : Sorry, I wasn't trying to contest your statements. You made a very interesting point which piqued my logic. Yes, I am very clear on the drifting being possible only in RWD cars. And I understood your point very well. When referring to the windtunnel, you are talking of Bernoulli's principle of lower air pressure on top leading to uplift and vice versa. The thing is, the Punto (and Linea) is made so beautifully that at high speeds, they generate so much downforce on the front that they grip the road very well. And their higher GC means that air flows faster under them to keep them rooted. But you were talking about uplift from the front when accelerating from standstill. During this move, there is no fast moving air pushing down the front which means technically the front can lift. But because there is no rear extension which is weighted, the distribution would stay in the front and may not cause an uplift at all. And honestly, I don't know what 145 bhp feels like. But I am dead certain that 145 bhp in a Maruti hatch may cause it to fly off the road. But a Punto is weighed down solid. And it is heavier in the front. Of course, I admit I could be wrong and this would be a very nice point to observe from the one doing the first TD.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.