1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here is a portion of a post by 'extreme_torque' in TEAM BHP-- 'A friend of mine was invited for a co-drive of the Fiat 595 at BIC with lead car being this Punto T-Jet. As per him, Punto was doing 190kph on the straights without much effort!'

On a diff note; it's hartening to see immense positive comments pouring in all the forums/mags.Hope pricing will be spot on.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. Amit Rox

Amit Rox Amatore

jammu
    jammu
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    True, punto was the pace car only driven by pro driver. He wasn't able to catch tjet while he was in 595, even on straight patch. Amt vs manual, lol
  3. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Just saw the photos on team-bhp, its the same 5 speed gearbox. C'mon, a car that can do 190 km/hr and only a 5 speed gearbox? All other interiors are the same. So unless people buy this car for the engine's sake, it is not different from the current Evo at all. No dash storage, no bottle storage, no sunglass storage, exhaust tip sticking out like an aftermarket and that same rubbery gearbox? Fiat, please learn.

And before all other manufacturers start offering matt finished cars, please release this soon. The classic mistake of revealing everything upfront without any teasers or surprises will have the Chinese and Koreans rip this car piece for piece and introduce them in the next 2 weeks.

I'm not bashing Fiat but I am frustrated now. I love the current interiors and everything but a few changes will make it more saleable. When will they learn? Its soooo reachable for this company and yet they hold back in bits and pieces
    Raj_pol likes this.
  4. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    [QUOTE="So unless people buy this car for the engine's sake, it is not different from the current Evo at all. No dash storage, no bottle storage, no sunglass storage, exhaust tip sticking out like an aftermarket and that same rubbery gearbox? Fiat, please learn.
    [/QUOTE]

Does is really cost a lot and time to do all this? I mean a new design for the dash, and changes to the assembly line etc. If such changes take time to get to market, i think this is a good move by Fiat. Before the competition can catch on the engine specs and other mechanical, it better to go in as a first mover. And may be provide all this in future top up models. But if they do not take time and is a simple tweak, then Fiat have missed a great chance to nail it.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 5, 2015 ---
    I also think that the Positioning of this has to be great. It should not be portrayed as a pure " Racer Cars and not for ordinary people" in the Autocars, Overdrive and other such crazy videos, who do less of reporting and provide more of their opinion rather than reality. If it is needed, they can pay a extra tip to ensure that this is projected "As a very good practical hatch, but can double up as a Hot Hatch in case the driver is in the mood". If they fail to do this, then we know how our public will react...
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Bro, I guess Fiat wants to keep the costs as competitive as possible, so they cant afford to increase their costs by including a lot of changes inside, when the engine under the hood is already a beast!! Isn't this the USP of a Abarth??

The gear box should have been 6-speed, for this kind of power. But, this car isn't meant for fuel efficiency..is it?? Just imagine 145 bhp spread across 5 gears, which means the gear ratios would be changed, short maybe, to enhance the thrill of driving.

If they would change the basic internal design of Punto, then it would incur a lot of costs, as the whole assembly line would be different. I dont think its feasible when we know that Fiats don't sell well in India.

Let them at least launch it at a competitive price, and who knows if they sell in good numbers, they might add some features. Hyundai i20 is going to add a lot of features like infotainment system, but only after they garnered that kind of sales.

I would like to re-iterate, this car is not meant for people who give higher priority to cubby holes, more storage areas, more space etc. This is meant for a hardcore enthusiast, for whom I guess Abarth Punto has all the neccessary ingredients.
  6. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Just Appreciate the efforts Fiat putting in to get this car under 9 lakh, I Own a Tjet and i can say that Tjet Gear Box is not that bad to complain. we are going to get a dynamically well sorted car with 145 bhp under 10 lakh, for me that is more important.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Agreed, this car is for enthusiasts. But since Fiat needs a little more sales to stay profitable, they could have extended the trims a wee bit more. For example, the Grande Punto has more storage in the dash. They removed that in the Evo. And making bigger bottle holders is really not that expensive as the plastic has to have a little more circumference. Things like that.

Yes, there is no use in reinventing the interiors all over again. I am very happy with the interiors right now, more in the Evo 90 HP than the Avvy which I own. All I'm saying is that I hope this superbly tuned engine is enough to draw sales. Basically, I am sick of hearing small excuses used to not buy this car. So just hoped that Fiat would shut everyone up for once by not giving cause for complaint.

The 6 speed box would actually help fuel efficiency and top speed at the same time since it will reduce stress on the engine by running at a lower rpm. But I guess adding a sixth gear would mean a completely different transmission. Let's see. I just want this car to sell !
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 5, 2015 ---
    I do appreciate the efforts. We still get a rock solid car with more steel in it. No other manufacturer is offering it. And I have no complaints with the current gearbox at all while too many people do. But very few people really care about the well sorted car as they don't even understand what it means. Fiat is trying to push this car to beyond the enthusiast category. I just want them to succeed. It feels like they are so close and only losing out on unimportant things. So if they perhaps handle this right, then maybe?

No one even understands what it means to have this kind of a car priced under 9 lakhs. Because for some reason, Fiat is a cheap brand and should always give discounts. It is a feat if they price this well but when we see all those complaints, it hurts.
    aramico, prabhjot, Raj_pol and 2 others like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Abarth:- What has abarth done to the FIAT 1.4Tjet motor to get 145Hp ?Linea Tjet with 114hp,so increase in 31hp.
    So to get 31Hp ABARTH have been introduced. if they have brought-in Abarth then definitely they have done something into it,a new turbocharger ? or its just remap with change in few components.So the mileage too remains same as Linea T-jet,right ?... i know this car is for enthusiasts and not like "Kithna deti hein" car,but below 10Lakhs,fits into common man pocket too.
    Just wanted to know the speciality of Abarth.
  9. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    Can this be replicated on the current Tjet Linea?
  10. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am completely agreed with Turbothinghy,this is a enthusiast car to the core and will appeal to them;lack of feature not withstanding.
    A classic example here is Thar.A capable 4wd with decent power(crde)& zero feature.Commands a tremendous fan following & descent sales fig.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.