1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    @Turbothinghy You feel, I am confident that Creta will succeed. Kind of perception that Hyundai has developed in minds of Indian junta, I see lot of ppl running behind that car even though its pricey, overrated and offers average ride and handling quality. Can't help, that's the flow we see trending in Indian car market these days.
  2. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    its going to happen and its all about trust in the Brand that Hyundai developed in India over the time.
    what FIAT is doing that it is more interested in closing the best FASSes like pandit.
    now tell me how much % of prospective FIAT buyers have been moved away from FIATs.
  3. avi_loveindia

avi_loveindia Amatore

FiatLand
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Competition is going to be tough ,,, 190 hp Volkswagon Polo GTI spotted testing in India

Volkswagen-Polo-GTI-India-Spied-Pune.jpg source : indiancarsbikes.in

Hurry Fiat ,,although it(Polo) will be priced much higher ,,,may be they can plonk 140hp 1.4 TSI in it to derail Punto Tjet
    Raj_pol, varoon9999 and Turbothinghy like this.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @avi_loveindia: Bro I think there would be 2 differentiating factors between Abarth Punto and GTI:

1) Abarth Punto would be cheaper. Motorbeam said that the GTI would be dearer by 15-16 lacs.

2) GTI would be available only with automatic transmission. Many enthusiasts still prefer manual.

Nonetheless Fiat should launch the Abarth versions asap, seems the time is around Diwali.
    avi_loveindia and varoon9999 like this.
  5. avi_loveindia

avi_loveindia Amatore

FiatLand
    Grande Punto 1.2
    U r right ,,, nothing can match Manual wilderness . And I Believe that Fiat has done good work of localization for Tjet in Abath tune
    Its to see which way Volks go,,, 1.8 TSI or 1.4 TSI,, 190hp in a hatch in Indian conditions is overkill but Enthusiast want it that way only
    Raj_pol, Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Yeah the VW "GT" TSi is already pushing 10 lakhs i believe, despite being no match for the t-jet at all, it's barely a luke-warm let alone 'hot' hatch, even the GTI will be at least 14-16 lakhs, at least, and that's if it's the 1.4 Tsi, even if it's not 190 but only say 140 hp. IF it's launched at all.

The Abarth Evo will have a mass-market price well south of the VW GT, more or less, at least I am not expecting them to charge too much of a premium over the 90 hp mjd. That's the whole point of localizing the engine, after all?

VW even imports many parts of the 1.5 diesel, and so the low-demand tsi engines on the Polo and the Vento are fully imported. Hence priced high, hence sell pretty weakly as a percentage of total Polo sales. And that is despite the supposedly 'premium' brand-power of VW.
    avi_loveindia and Turbothinghy like this.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    The new player on the block is the Maruti S-Cross which has been surprisingly reviewed as having excellent handling and higher stability with the Fiat 1.6 MJD that hasn't been released by Fiat itself. This is a bit of a blunder by Fiat for giving it away to Maruti first and not bringing it in one of their own cars. Maybe my thought process is wrong but it makes sense to show your capabiliy first before handing it over to competitors as an OEM producer. Besides this, The S-Cross's driveability is supposedly so good that the only thing Fiats offer better than it is the steering. But my guess is that this car will be close to 15 lakhs on road. So the pricing is still spot on in the Fiats.

Only one person on the other forum said he would rather buy an Avventura as he feels its the best small SUV. He was beaten straight by another saying that the Avvenutura is just a Punto with a high GC kit and cannot be called as an SUV at all. Perhaps he is right. But the main point is that Fiats have such low recall and are left to the bottom on the car bin when it comes to shortlisting. Absolutely no faith from the herd. And all this when the Avventura has 205 mm GC when none of the rest including the Creta have such high GC. Pity.

Of late, Hyundai sales advisors are also getting a reputation for being indifferent. The success that Hyundai has is slowly going to their heads. The sales reps have a "take it or leave it" attitude as sales is anyway assured. If this had been Fiat's sales reps, we would be thrashing them. But as Hyundai has a momentum going, it will hardly dent sales.

And the utter plagarism is what has me irritated. As there are no exhaustive copyrights on designs, Hyundai (and all the Korean companies) simply copy based on the photos and quickly release in their products first. The whole Samsung S-series UI and phone design is based on the iPhone. But they still sell. Hyundai is like a parasite picking bits and pieces off FCA's and other manufacturers designs and passing them off as their own because they release it first. In today's blink-and-you-miss world, nobody really cares if you copy or not. Heck, Anu Malik ripped English pop songs left and right and made his crores. Hyundai is just doing it on a much larger scale through reverse engineering.

On the TSI front, after driving an S10, there is no doubt anymore in my mind that the petrol engines are far more fun to drive anywhere. The TJet develops 135 bhp at such a low 1750 rpm! The Honda i-vtech does 135 bhp at 4000 rpm. The Tjet is obviously a superbly designed engine but again no advertising at all. Fiat should have hammered this engine's features down everyone's throats. But nothing happened. And Fiat needs to tune its engines better when all the competitors can do it so well, especially Tata. And Fiat needs to understand that even if Indians never use all that power, they just want it to be there. We really don't have roads that can handle 190 bhp. But every Indian wants it at throwaway prices. Perhaps Fiat should just release the GTXs again at 6 lakhs and see what happens.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Bro, S-cross has a pretty decent handling for a SUVish stance, but it's not surprising. Swift also has an excellent handling, though it's at the cost of ride quality. I am sure if Fiat brings up a mini SUV, it's handling would trump S-cross easily. The thing is, that in the SUV segment handling isn't a deterrent for people, but then SUVs like Yeti is unbeatable. Fiat would at least match it up, as it's in the European DNA.

According to Motorbeam, the S-cross 1.3 90 hp has a decent drivability, but not the 1.6. 1.6 does have lag.

Also a point to note is S-cross 1.3 is heavier than Punto 90 hp by around 50 kgs, still the 0-100 sprint is pretty decent, @ around 13.5 secs. This shows what a good gear box and gear ratios can do. So saying that Punto 90 hp is sluggish because of its weight isn't correct, it's because of the gear box and ratios and the engine tuning.
  9. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    My point exactly. The S-Cross does have decent handling and Fiat did bring about a mini SUV which people don't seem to equate to. The S-Cross and the Creta are also 5 seaters, albeit bigger. They are all mini SUVs. The Yeti on the other hand has AWD and is built very robust. But its pricing too is above the quarter crore mark. I'm saying that Fiat has the capability to match each one of these products and beat them, yet they don't even give a better tuned engine.

The 1.3 MJD has loads of power in it when tuned properly. People who have remapped the 90 HP engine swear by it. That wretched lag is nearly gone and the car is fully driveable now. So why can't Fiat just offer this tune on the stock version. Its like using a carbon fiber gold club to play mini-golf.

All that Maruti and Hyundai are doing is offering better trims. Fiat can offer that easily. Actually I like the interiors of the Punto Evo 90 HP way above the Avventura. But still the car doesn't sell. For various reasons, turbo lag being one of them.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The 90 hp interiors exude a lot of sportiness and look great.

Fiat's have always been criticized for one or the other reasons. Earlier they had a fuel guzzler image and now a turbo lag image. It sucks when the Marutis and the Hondas aren't criticized for their cheap built quality.

I feel Avventura sales got cannibalised because of Evo. Fiat was earlier considering getting the global evo to India but in the auto expo 2014, when then got such a good response for the Avvy, they thought of considering the same design for Evo. And to make matters even worse, they launched Evo much earlier than Avvy. Again a bad move. Otherwise Avvy is a brilliant car, PERIOD.

Having said that I don't consider S-cross or Creta as a competitor to Avvy. Avvy should be compared to the crosses of Liva, Polo and i20 and Ecosport to an extent as all of them are below 4m and are much cheaper.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.