1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth Punto/Avventura T-Jet -Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @deepakhon

An amt is just a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch actuator. So: it is usually no more 'jerky' than a manual gear-shift, except minus the headache-for-some-sometimes of clutching.

Even the dual-clutch on VW-s or on Fiats/Alfa-s abroad is an amt, except because of 2 clutches: the shifts are much faster, and usually far less jerky, if at all.

However: the dual-clutches are VERY expensive, and tend to have bad reputations as far as trouble/maintainence costs go (you could google VW dsg).

Should Fiat implement amt-s (single clutch, inexpensive) on these cars and on the Linea too? Will the 'market' buy more Fiats as a result, or will the 'jerkiness' etc become a(nother) stigma on Fiat?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 17, 2015 ---
    @Raj_pol

I have not noticed any 'shitty'-ness on my Linea T-jet's gearbox, or its ratios. Neither have many others. Not on their Punto-s either.

Perhaps manual gearbox 'quality' determines sales numbers in India? Say by a factor of 20% of sales?

More like 0% in Fiat's case. This is a perfect non-issue, sales and even other-wise.

Unless they offer the amt? or the ddct?
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  2. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Compared with the swift or the Honda City as an example - then sir I cannot argue with you. Good for you then. I mean the entire country is lying and only you and your friends know how to ride :)
  3. avi_loveindia

avi_loveindia Amatore

FiatLand
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I too think Fiat is not going to do other visual changes like redisigned Bumper or something like that or infact even gearbox too
    They are testing Punto Evo modals with T-Jet engine , graphics decals , new alloys and new logo(Abarth)
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

Do you really think people buy the Swift or the City in their (tens) of thousands because of the gearbox?
    Meaning what? Shift smoothness or gear ratios?

Your frustrations with the 'shitty' Fiat gearbox are a function, i suspect, of the short initial gearing, designed for better fuel efficiency on a small-displacement turbocharged diesel which NECESSARILY has turbo lag, especially if its strong midrange is to be ensured.

Perhaps they made the mistake of assuming that folks want fuel efficiency and a strong mid-range (for open roads/higher speeds), and should've instead conceded to 'the boy-racing off the red-light only to slow down within a few metres' mentality that does prevail here in India, among some, evidently. By taller gearing in first and second too? On a heavy car. Even with the big fuel efficiency penalty.

Anyway, the t-jet + its gearbox has almost no such 'issue', only because it's torquier, at fairly-lower rpm-s than the mjd, rather than because the 'gearbox' is 'better', I feel.

Thing is: the t-jet Linea and its pretty good gearbox/ratios doesn't sell much or rather at all, either!

Let's hope what you say is right, and 'the whole world' will flock to buy the Fiat Abarth t-jets, since it'll have THE awesome turbo-ed engine, and a decidedly non-shitty gearbox. Maybe a few Swift boy-racing types? A few? The rest will not, I fear, .....and it will not be because of the gearbox.

Let's see. Will be exciting to watch the response to these pretty singular machines.
  5. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Nobody Can satisfy This Particular People.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot you wont believe (only you), but a lot of people want ultra smooth gearbox action. People dont understand terms like gear ratios. All they want is a silky smooth gearbox/clutch action. Which they surely get in a Swift or City or VW or even a Hyundai vis-a-vis a Linea. I have owned a Dzire before, and how i wish the Linea had the same level of gearshift smoothness !

Fiat India is selling its cars in INDIA , right ? So they have to cater to those expectations. This is perfectly legit . Regardless of the herd mentality or whether the manufacturer is , as you often put it, tinbox Jap or kitschy Korean or (newly coined) "feku German".

I do clearly notice that the gearbox/clutch combination of the Duster is a bit better than the Linea. Especially clutch.
    Murphy_Fiat, prabhjot and Raj_pol like this.
  7. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Yes I would like to see the response too. The gear box is one component that I mentioned in response to your nitpicking over every single manufacturer in the world as if only Fiat knows how to make cars and the others have been making trash which is fanboism. Second, I have never made the claim that a better gear box will sell more - better marketing and faster and smarter turnaround of products will. E.g. releasing a compact SUV when it is the flavor of the season and not 5 years down the line.

However, I do stick to the point that Fiat gear boxes (on the Punto) is not as smooth as the Swift period.
    prabhjot and acechip like this.
  8. Amit Rox

Amit Rox Amatore

jammu
    jammu
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I have almost decided to buy Avventura mjd emotion later this year but this package is tempting.
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Amit Rox The T-jet Punto 135BHP would be a true mean machine. I would strongly suggest the same against the Avventura.
    Amit Rox likes this.
  10. Amit Rox

Amit Rox Amatore

jammu
    jammu
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    lets see, if fiat gonna launch it with multiple airbags and other safety features, am gonna buy this hot car. I wont consider this one if its coming with only front dual airbags. I will stick to avventura.
    prabhjot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.