1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth 500 - Launching soon

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I recall a similar Abarth stranded at Vecto for months but that was said belonging to some bellary guy, not sure if it was the same. Most of my friends said it looks like Beetle, was it. Damn FIAT should push abarth much stronger. :(
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Thane
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The under thigh support is not that bad in GP; it is definitely better than some of the other hatches like the Figo, and the Vista.

Not sure of Abarth 500, but the Fiat 500 does have a rear bench but legroom is in short supply; it is best suited only for kids I reckon.

Anyways, such cars are pre-dominantly 2-seaters; enjoy the drive with your better half isn't it? No crowd trouble :up
    3 people like this.
  3. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @zanwalker, Abarth is still yet to be on Sale, it has just been intorduced in India as a Display model for now.
    The car which you saw on Vecto was a 1.3 MJD Fiat 500 which was launched back in 2008 and the number of cars sold were very few.
    I guess the car was waiting for a 500 specific part.
    It's sad to compare a Beetle to the 500, both are way different German v/s Italian and both are rivels, it's like someone making a comment like Pakistan team players look like Indian Team players, what can you reply to such comments? :confused
    It is so sad to mix and confuse 2 legend models and make such comments...
    2 people like this.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Anup,

Earlier both known for middle class cars & now the segment of both the cars is changed to iconic so the comparison came into consideration. :)
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I know the story behind the failure launch of the MJD and why it got stranded off at vecto. Infact few of us did inspect the same car while having a good conversation with vecto official once. Any ways, i cant blame the guys comparing or doubting the abarth for beetle, ill be ok about it because people are more familiar with Beetle than Abarth. Infact even i learnt about abarth after joining TFI and started learning more about FIAT. Where as Beetle or VW has shown off beetle various places and some movies in the past as well shown it on TV. On this note, the benefit of doubt by them is acceptable, though invalid/wrong in many senses as you noted.

The reason i said FIAT should advertise strongly because many people dont even know about Abarth. So a glimpse of it at times in AD's along with regular AD shall keep people aware of it when it gets launched kinda like what Maruti did with Celerio even before it launched it really. Oh well i didnt mean FIAT should start now itself ;)
  6. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In this segment, the BMW Mini wins. There is some special thing is missing in 500.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Abarth 500 is very Cute looking compact & sexy hot hatch which will have a niche segment in India.
    Loved sexy 17" alloys & Awesome Racing seats.
  8. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A very brief test drive report

I was longing for this moment since sep 2013, and it finally came, and got a chance to drive the abarth 500-595 competizione !! I’ll give a very brief report of what i felt today ;)

The legacy has been experienced and it was nothing short of mindblowing.. i was expecting a manual variant, but unfortunately got the paddle shift option, accepted it without option as i m driving a car with paddle shifters for the first time !! The unique chocolate color was yummy coupled with awesome 17” wheels shod with Pirelli 205/40 tires looked delicious! Even though i got it only for a short time span of 30 mins, i enjoyed it like hell. When i started from standstill , it moved like slouch, but as soon as i went into turbo zone, there was no coming down, was above 2k rpm for the rest of the time !! i heard there was launch control, but didn’t find that in the short td !! Without wasting anytime, took it out to an empty stretch of road and blasted it, the exhaust note was orgasmic, in no time the speedo was around 150. Only downside was that the TD car was downtuned and the dualclutch gearbox with paddle shifters was controlled by too much of electronics which spoils the fun of driving, a manual would ve been awesome. I didnt waste my precious time in automatic mode, i shifted to manual mode in 2 mins as 'A' was pretty boring. Put it in the manual mode, the upshift would be controlled by us while the ecu does the downshifts itself(if we forget to ), man, it was fun redlining the beast at 6k rpm (which i felt too early for that) in first 3 gears and by that time clear road ended. The big downside of that variant was, we cannot manually downshift before reaching 3.5k rpm as it was electronically controlled. As soon as i reached 3.5k, downshifted and the exhaust was something not to miss before you die, i got addicted to that , i opened all the windows after that just for that kick !!
    You can cruise ni it at around 100 all day long, it was so smooth and absolutely silent exhaust if you dont give hard throttle, but heck who ll do that?
    Then came a bad patch of road, when i understood how hard the suspension had been tuned for precise track handling, you can feel everything right in your a$$ through the sporty bucket seats which are otherwise pretty comfortable and looks really mean !! The steering was lighter than punto’s , a fully hydraulic unit would ve been perfect for this lil Ferrari !! Then i saw the sport button, pressed it, and it turned into a complete hoonigan , transforming the exhaust note, better pick up, higher rpm for downshifting and i m not sure about traction control as i was not confident to test it to that levels !! The diskbrakes on all 4 wheels was very confidence inspiring and the car does not pitch however hard you brake coz of the brakes coupled with hard suspension.
    Add an akrapovic exhaust, removing the cat con and a CAI, this car will fly like crazy in all gears. May be because of some down tuning and paddle shifters, i didn’t feel the adrenaline rush like some well modded car i’ve driven before, but i came to know how fast i was moving looking at the way the cars were dissapearing in the rear view mirrors !! let some pics do the talking now !
    2014-03-07 15.28.55.jpg
    2014-03-07 15.30.27.jpg
    2014-03-07 15.30.11.jpg
    2014-03-07 15.41.00.jpg
    yours truly :p
    2014-03-07 15.21.12.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is heck of a car to drive, lucky you to get hand on it. And thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

What special thing did you find missing in 500 without driving one?:evilsmile
    Last-time I checked, it is outselling Mini in US. They are not even direct competitors, it costs 30% less than a mini with 6 inch shorter wheelbase, more like A-seg. car.

I have also not driven a 500 Abarth but one thing is dead-sure, you will know that's Abarth 500 is coming from good 500 mtrs. It's one serious screaming Italian scamp. Americans say, it sounds better than any V6 or even even V8 Mustangs/Corvettes, read countless reviews... hahaha!

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks Ravi... Any reports how does the exhaust sound? do they allow to crank and listen to it's exhaust?
    Any information on Indian specifications? What are the other Abarth Models in pipeline?

Sorry for bothering you with so many Questions but I am not following FIAT-India since quite sometime so not aware...
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.