1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth 500 - Launching soon

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Interesting !! that too from Zeegnition !!

prabhjot likes this.
  3. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    On 4th AUGUST at BIC.It's official.

1397265d1438234840t-abarth-launch-buddh-invite.png
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @sandipan_r15 Any news on when will be available at the dealers, pricing, customization options etc...? More importantly when is the Punto T-jet coming?
  5. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I enquired the dealer Kashyap Fiat about the pricing and they said it will priced around Rs.25L-30L. When i said it will also be a failed launch....he said" Sir its competition is mini cooper from which it is cheaper by Rs.7L". I could only laugh.

The dealer are getting ready for launch....they have already put Abarth sign on their boards and space in showroom. But my gut feeling is it will be a failed product. Fiat getting it wrong....they should launch cars in the range of Rs.4-Rs10L...to gain market share.....
    Ganges likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @prashantgupta84

Why do you find it laughable? It is not just 7-8 lakhs cheaper than a small-powered Mini Cooper, it'll be even cheaper than a Mini Cooper S, the higher powered avatar of the Mini. IMO it's even more 'authentic' and character-ful a racy car/hot hatch than the Mini, by a distance.

The Abarth 595 is more just a brand-intro, 'halo' launch: it is not meant to sell in numbers, given the mentalities prevalent in our market. The numbers-hope lies, such as it is, with the Abarth-ified turbocharged Punto Evo and Avventura, which will indeed both be WELL south of 10 lakhs, one suspects.

I disagree about future Fiat all-new launches too: imo rather than the sub-10 lakh segments, they must focus on the c2/d1 intersection/overlaps point, where the likes of the S Cross, Duster, Creta, Elantra, even Honda City sit. Cars like the for-end-2016 'New Avventura' and a more inexpensive version of the 500X will/could sit well? Of course, possibly the simpler cheaper versions of the Jeep Renegade too, when it's launched in 2017?

Sub-10 lakh has far too many first-time buyers, or first-time-upgraders who are by definition too 'status'-seeking and risk-averse with their money (as they interpret these things via the logic/bias of herding) to take bets on Fiats, no matter that to most/all of us current Fiat owners the bet is a good one, the best around at these prices.

But i guess with the 2017 all-new Punto and Linea-replacing Grand Sienna they'll still try to compete in the b2/c1/c2 segments, going by their plan. Perhaps that plan will need tweaking?

Personally, I'd advise them to seriously look at launching the 500X at say 14/15 lakhs+, if possible, to accompany the Jeep Renegade, its confirmed-for-India twin, and the cheaper 'New Avventura'.

This c2-d1 segment overplap zone is growing hugely given the 'aspirationality' that prevails in India, as the numbers of the Duster, the Creta, the XUV500 and soon the S Cross show. And the Renegade as well as the 500X have the potential to to tempt a fair few 'down-graders' from the d2 segment too, as they're achieving so well in Europe, Turkey, the US and Brazil too as we speak?
    bibin and Ganges like this.
  7. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Agree with the 500X. Of all the cars in the Fiat portfolio only (not talking Jeep, Dodge etc), the one which can turn around the fortunes of Fiat is the 500X. Just like the ecosport helped Ford to a large extent. Of course no one will get numbers like Suzuki but then they sell 30K Alto's per month and it is a segment exclusively theirs. Even Hyundai failed in that segment with the Eon.

As for the Mini and the Abarth, the Mini is a rather large car (saw it in person) and can hold 4 people easily. Also the design is neutral and so would apply to a larger audience who have the money but would not anyways be racing around circuits. (Indians do not do that for all the racing in the roads). The Abarth is quirky and I am not so bowled over by the looks unlike say the 500X.

Abarth is cheaper but strictly for two and Indians tend to look at things a little differently. We shall see, I do not predict any major impact (I am talking by luxury/sports car standards) in India.

Fiat has to bring a totally new premium segment car (premium by Mango man) and the only one they have in their kitty currently is the 500X. It is difficult to revive a semi dead model and as far as sales go, the Punto and to a far greater extent the Linea is dead.

That should in my world (and I am nobody) done together with the Jeep Wrangler. So you have something starting from say around 12 L (give a base 500X specifically for India with a lower powered engine, maybe the t-jet 1.2) and then move all the way up to Fortuner and beyond level. At their level of brand recognition they cannot afford to be pricey initially.
    drknaresh likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

The Mini you saw is surely the Countryman, not THE mini, which is just as much of a 2 seater + tiny-tots in rear bench as the 500/595.

The Countryman sells against the 500X in Europe and the US, at much higher prices of course, though not as much.

while we're OT, and i'll stop after this:

The car that's interesting from a fiat-future perspective is the 'New Avventura', if the 500X is out till 2018, which is when China will get its localized version as well.

Will that vehicle replace the current Avventura (sub-4m)? Or try to go up against the S Cross, Creta and Creta? Perhaps be a 5+2 seater, like the Honda cuv for emerging markets coming up in a year apparently?

But in any case, and whatever the timeline: FCA must commit to the 500X in India soon/immediately. It'll take a year or two just to prepare for local manufacture/supply chains. After all the Jeep renegade as well as the Jeep C-Suv (confirmed for local, Ranjangaon manufacture and exports) are its close-siblings....the cuv's character both stylistically and in build, materials, drive, ride etc is so distinctive and so superior to the jap and the Korean that it's THE bet they ought to take. Problem probably is that exports of an indian made rhd 500X are likely too tiny in number, unlike with Jeep, which makes the 500X bet for India much riskier and much more expensive than it does for the Reneagade?
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @prabhjot

Totally agree with raj_pol. Tell me one good solid reason to justify buying 25 to 30 L car from a very unknown company running 2 models for last decade giving them new clothes every 2 years on same skeleton and that too not going well.
    And then you are hoping that localisation will improve the condition forget it.It would be just a eyewash to call it make in india same as what BMW has done. They gave a full page add that BMW is now MAKE in INDIA with severe price cut but at the end I could only get the base model which is around 25 or 30L is cheap by 1L what a irony.A person who is spending 30 L would you think will bother for 1L. The same way goes with mini cooper and 500. Believe it or not mini is more well known brand then 500. I have seen 500 many times in Embassy area there are few which roam around and have seen MINI on road very often on area near Rajpura road. Believe me no comparison at all sharp light, astounding pickup can't describe mini.
    As far as your illusion of make In India is considered, I am sorry to say it will be just another eyewash. I don't want to reveal much details but for your info we cannot manufacture any thing from needle to missile till we have this democracy where indiscipline is a right to freedom.
    If some how mods can arrange a visit to TATA fiat plant just be a part of that then ask the so called R&D engineers how they make a car. You will very well get my answer.Less I divulge the details the more the good otherwise you can check the developments made by our Honorable missile man who ended up making a 2000 kg (trishul surface to air)of missile vs a 200 kg missile with same fire power and capacity agaist an isaraeli missile BARAK
    So please admit the fact and stop having a fake illusion.
    vista7155 likes this.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.