1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth 500 - Launching soon

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    As I said: few 2door Mini-s sell in India, even fewer high-powered JCW ones, mainly Countryman-s diesels, which are very far from being racy 'monsters' as you call them, more like plodding show-ponies adorned with bling.

Abarth's a charismatic, very niche, very pure brand, in a very niche segment ('sportscars'): more like 'JCW' than 'Mini' itself. That in a way brings HUGE marketing advantages: the advertizing can be more global in style/tone, more emphatic/clearcut, etc.

btw, a Mini of equivalent power (to weight) as the Abarth 500 would be, what?, at least 10/12 lakhs expensive!

Mini-s sell exclusively on the brand image and styling, here (less than 500 a year) and elsewhere. It's the oppsosite for cars like the Focus ST which are pure substance. Abarth is somewhere in the middle. In Europe/UK.

We'll get to see just how many real sportyspeed enthusiasts there really are in India when the Abarth Evo arrives at sizzlingly affordable prices. You @Raj_pol should get one!:D

Between them the 2 Abarths will be the ONLY pukka, affordable properly 'sportscar' like 4wheelers available. At all.

The speedseekers are likely to prefer some of the great bikes now available though, no doubt. As i would too, personally speaking.
  2. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Missus still dreams of the Linea :). For now, I am content blogging and dreaming - though yes the bikes do tempt me.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

FCA India has posted this ad-video about Abarth on their facebook page.

Fantastically edited and sync-ed with heavy/hard, rousing rock music!

Unfit for any effects on any prospective customers who watch any general film, music, soap opera, news or regional language channel (except maybe a few Marathi, Bengali, Malayalam and Tamil ones?), imo.

Mostly just for youtube viewing i guess, perhaps some niche advertizing on niche English channels, and on one or two sports ones?
    avi_loveindia, Ichimaru and varunrtr like this.
  4. Dr. Fixated

Dr. Fixated Novizio

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    ^ Well made video! The pace (of everything;visuals, music - drums, guitar - everything) keeps picking up at a greater pace till the end.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    A quick update from my yesterday' visit to Balaji Fiat, Thane. It seems Balaji Fiat from Mumbai region and Pandit Auto From Pune region have also been called for the training on Abarth starting 1st week of June. So ideally we should expect the Abarths on display at these two dealership too. I am sure there will be others from other metros too. Dont understand the logic of declaring the exclusive dealership on the website.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

I dont see any takers for Abarth in a city obsessed with Audi/BMW/Merc and now recently, JLRs. A decade ago,a premium car was a rare sight in Pune. Nowadays, they are pretty much jostling around the traffic with the i10s, Swifts , Vernas and their ilk. They are surely more common than any Fiat.
    asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

I cringe when I notice the utter automotive non-knowledge AND un-care beyond the generic ideas that supposedly 'premium' 'customers' (rather than mere 'consumers') who buy the German marques display: do know a few such folk.

They buy Mercs and Audis as if they were an app (called 'status badge') from the Apple Store! Of course the cars are genuinely all-round great, if often banal, which as you point out is a strange thing for a 'luxury-distinction' car to be.....but that hardly means one treats them just like one would the ownership of a high-end brand of say refrigerator, many of which are equally all-round great in their own right and way!

Especially, I suspect, in Dilli-Punjab! Am sure Bombay, Pune, and Chennai/Coimbatore aren't nearly as bad in the 'shallow luxury car culture' as these parts. Though lusty lovers of masculine speed are abundant here, but that is almost always secondary to 'show-shaa'-baazi and sheer size/beefiness when it comes to cars/SUVs.

So yeah, the Abarth 500 and its ilk (Mini JCW S) are a microscopic niche. Even their showiness is contrarian, being premised instead, on smallness albeit with intense aesthetic detailing, inside and out.

It is more a brand-introduction/building model. Such as these last will be.

btw, an Abarth 500X is already being tested in Italy.

The Abarth Punto Evo on the other hand @ well less than 10 lakhs, though, could sell a fair bit better, especially by Fiat's less than stellar sales-figure standards/record?
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot The Abarth has been posted with a coming soon in the India website but there is still no mention of the T-jet. I hope they are planning for a Puja/Dussehra launch.
    I wonder if they can do a direct compete - take the GTI VW, Swift and Hyundai elite, race them on a straight track, murder them (I hope that includes the GT) and then publish the same on the website :)
    GirishRaghu likes this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

They won't but...."should":

have Abarth-s at the BIC circuit and say the famous old Coimbatore one, for eg, for journo-s and especially "current Fiat owners and fans" to drive, sample, gush over, and race, and post that on the website!:D
    Raj_pol and GirishRaghu like this.
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

That Dilli Punjab culture is catching up steadily. Particularly reflected in the sales of the Mercedes SUVs, the Audi Q5s, and various models of JLRs. There is an upsurge of nouveau riche class of salaried people earning upwards of 50 lac per annum, and a number of SMB entrepreneurs as well. They need to flaunt their newly arrived status, right ?
    Especially the rural folks who sold of land/property. I see Fortuners and Landcruisers being decked up for weddings in the rural outskirts of Pune on my way to and from work, and the cars that line up these venues are at a minimum upwards of 10-15 lacs.

A recent wedding I attended in Pune , the bride's family was from a typical rural family (you can observe the cultural distinction), and the bride , stepped out of their family owned Mercedes GL out to the wedding hall . Needless to say the car was definitely the more appealing to look at than its occupants (and I say this as an auto enthusiast only). All those rural folk had turned up in Fortuners, Pajeros and Scorpios etc.
    And then there is the political class as well !:stop:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.