1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Abarth 500 - Launching soon

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    Another nonsense from Fiat India. When they need a volume car badly they are launching a 30 lakh car which won't sell in double digit figure. I am amazed to know what kind of people run fiat India. Are they nursery kids. I'm sure even they will do a better job.
    kgramesh likes this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    They have NO need for a 'volume car': that is catered for by the JV sales of certain Tata cars+ engine+AMT supplies to MS.

What they need are PROFITABLE sales, not just sales numbers per se. Abarth Punto-s should add more profits, I'd imagine, than several normal Punto-s?

The Abarth 500 is much less for actual sales (v/s Mini) than for branding.

Let's see. IMO, more important than when they launch the Abarth 500 is the question of how and how much do they market/promote it, spread the word, create interest and intrigue and mystique in the Fiat-Abarth brand.

IF Nagesh has been removed, and IF the reason is mainly bad calls about marketing (idiom, pitch, scale, mediums, even product planning) in 2014: we can expect a bigger, better 'showing' later this year with the Abarth and esp the Jeep launch communications/rhetorics?

We'll only know after the budget.
  3. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    There is an article in today's motor beam which says that Fiat India has postponed the launch sighting excise duty and weak rupee as well as no country head.:(
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

No country head, so no new launch ? . Wow. They are really content selling engines in India. They should stick to that only. Why bother at all with 700 units per month ?

I am now fully convinced that Fiat India is a mere accounting entry in the Fiat Chrysler balance sheets.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

Major announcements in the budget pertaining directly to Fiat, and 'The Case of the Delayed Abarth 500 Launch': likely big reduction in import duties for high-end CBU-s + possible/likely removal of the sub-1.5 litre diesel excise duty concessions.

Postponing till after the budget makes sense, other carmakers are doing so too.

Provided: they move well and with enough scale-of-marketing/promotion after the budget, with Abarth as well as, of course, Jeep.:oops: No small requirement that for Fiat in India!:rolleyes:

I agree: Fiat India will remain a 'mere' accounting entry in the larger global FCA balance sheet till the Jeeps are all here by end-2016/2017. Fiat sales just will not be allowed in this marketplace to get anywhere beyond 1200 (tops) no matter what Fiat does here, i fear?! :blackeye::mad:
  6. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    ^^as per your comment is somebody stops Fiat selling 1200 cars.
    I din't understand your point.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @vista7155

I was trying to suggest that the brand image has been damaged (due to legacy perception issues) among the vast majority who assign absolute priority to resale value, and ostensible 'social acceptance/'status' and ostensible good ASS, to such an extent that it is very difficult to see sales volumes, if they have to be profitable, of more than 1200 at a maximum.

Of course I am stating things a bit provocatively, but am just suggesting that precious resources are better invested in the likes of more niche and therefore much more profitable cars (Abarth 500 and Punto and Avventura?) and of course a premium, charismatic car brand like Jeep IF decent profits are the objective. That is: in addition to already healthy profits from the tata jv and the engine+amt deal with Maruti, etc.

Because such people, at least 75-80% of the buyers for hatches and sedans have already closed their minds to any brand other than M/HY/H/T and maybe, possibly (we'll see), Tata. Of the remaining 25% only a relatively small percentage of well-informed and slightly 'rasik' folk will go with Fiats, for the forseeable future. Maybe Fiat just cannot exorcize the ghosts of its past(s) difficulties/struggles here in the Indian mass market with any ease? Not for a long, expensive while.
    acechip and Mabams1826 like this.
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot, how long can one point back to the past (pre-2009) for Fiat's failures ? That did play a major role, but what is Fiat India doing in the present ?? I am reminded of the (in)famous dialogue by Aamir Khan in Rang De Basanti- translated to English "One foot in the past, the other in the future, and so we are xxxx on our present state".

If they have to be content with the manufacturing JV, etc, why did they even bother with coming out on their own in terms of sales and service ? They would have managed the ~800-1000 numbers anyway, even with Tata around.
    prabhjot and vista7155 like this.
  9. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    +1 Due to above setup they would have given service at-least for fellow north east members IMHO.
  10. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    what is the improvement in quality checks ? from factory shipments. there are very few people in TFI without any issues and niggles in new cars may be just 20% of TFI 80% people over here have faced some issues or niggles.
    does it require rocket science to have strict QA at plant ? they were not able to fix this in almost 6-7 years.
    Raj_pol, prabhjot and vista7155 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.