1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aadya charges very high for opening dashboard

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by amit1agrawal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. amit1agrawal

amit1agrawal Amatore

I have 2011 Tjet. I am getting airbag failure message for which FASS has recommended to open the dashboard to check the wiring as I am suspecting rat bites.
    What surprised me is the difference in charges quotes by KHT and Aadya motors bangalore. KHT is asking about 4500 to open the dashboard and check it whereas Aadya is asking 10.2k (part replacement extra)!
    Both claim that these are standard Fiat charges.
    I find that 10.2 K just to open the dashboard is very high and they seem to be inflating the bill.
    Is it common to expect charges to vary heavily between service centers?
    Lastly, what could be the real issue for airbag failure message. I am suspecting rat bite has cut wire somewhere as the car used to be parked outside overnight. battery has been ruled out by service center.

2. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Take the quotation in writing from both and verify with Fiat. Even 4,500/- to just open the dashboard looks high.

3. rajks

rajks Amatore

I have seen cost-sheet's being displayed at Maruti service centers, and I am sure we can demand the same from FASS. Ask them for the official copy of cost-sheet, and if the charge is based on Manhours, check with both KHT and Adaya on the total manhours considered for this task.

The above details will help to proceed further, also try to get similar quote from third party

4. amit1agrawal

amit1agrawal Amatore

Aadya motors did promise to send me the quotation but it's been 4 days and I haven't heard from them. I have given my Tjet at KHT and also asked service advisor on the charge difference. He had no clue why Aadya was charging higher for Dashboard R&R (that's what it's called in the system). So looks now I need to follow up with Aadya.
    I found Aadya motors to be unethical in dealing (apart from the Dashboard R&R):
    1. I had reported hard clutch pedal movement. My Tjet is run 60K kms with factory fitted clutch. They told me that Clutch would need to be replaced and it would cost 25K. I found it to be very high and asked for details. They told me that in case of Tjet, the release bearing is attached to the pressure plate. This unit will cost ~10K and rest of the things ~10. ~5k for taxes and labour. I was not convinced so I looked up 99rpm. My suspicion was confirmed. The Pressure Plate + Driven Plate is a single item for about ~10K and release bearing is a separate item for ~10K. So incase plates are worn out there is no need to replace release bearing and vice versa. Infact, I had no issues with pickup ( have driven it very aggressively ) and have driven it to 170 kmph without facing any sort of power issues so I knew that clutch plates still have life in them. I talked to service advisor about this and then his statement changed and he then denied that he said that pressure plate and release bearing is a single part.
    ( In the beginning itself I had proclaimed to him that I am a Tjet owner for 6 years with this being second Tjet. The intention was to let him know not to fool me with unnecessary work but he did not heed it.)
    2. After the above debacle, he took my permission to change the gear cable which he said was weak and said that it might resolve the hard clutch issue. I was left wondering what connection does gear cable has with clutch pedal :p. Anyhow I gave him the permission. After the change he reported that clutch and smoothen up (magically).
    3. I took a test drive and and did find that clutch was smooth. Gear change were also very smooth thanks to new cable. So I asked him whether he did a clutch bleeding to which he admitted that he did. That solved the mystery of clutch magically becoming smooth upon gear cable change! I failed to understand why he was trying to keep it secret.

So I saved 25K of my hard earned money and instead spent about ~3K in gear cable replacement only.

4. AC is not cooling. They are asking me to change some other parts (O Ring etc) which they mention is required to be changed during gas refill. I spoke to KHT advisor and he mentioned it's only required if it's damaged.

Towards the end I was bit frustrated by their tactics so I asked him to waive off the Rs 700 that was put up for car wash which he did.

On the positive side, they were able to completely resolve Steering button issue, delivered the car very clean (never had such a clean car delivered by Fiat ASS earlier) and overall the service station looked clean and professionally managed (rarity for Fiat ASS).

Now, I have given it to KHT for Airbag failure and Gas refill. Hoping they do a proper job. Keeping my finger crossed.

5. amit1agrawal

amit1agrawal Amatore

Got my Tjet back from KHT. They did not open the dashboard to check wiring. Instead they only opened the center console, did some minor wiring repair and then replaced the airbag controller unit with the one from demo car. It seems after that the message disappeared. As the part was not available off the shelf they put the faulty airbag controller unit back and delivered the car. I have placed order for it and once it arrives will go back again to get it changed. Regarding AC, the gas and some O-ring was changed.
    All this costed only Rs 3600/- only. Dashboard R&R charges were not applied as the work was carried out without removing it.
    Mr Satish, service advisor at KHT explained all the charges. He discounted some of the charges. AC seems to be working fine and car was delivered clean.
    Airbag controller unit will cost Rs 11200/- and I think some charges for replacing it. So total cost including AC repair will be close to Rs 15000/-.

If I had got the work done from Aadya they would have charged me Rs 10000/- for Dashboard R&R + Rs 11200/- + some additional charges which would have brought the total cost to near Rs 25000/- !

My conclusion: Aadya is exorbitantly expensive. They rip you off. They are looking for excuses to change parts. Sure, they are more professional in dealing with customer, service station is organized, clean and all but you know where the money for all that is coming from. I have no reason to visit Aadya again as it happens to be far from my place whereas KHT is just 2 kms away. What if as a layman I would have brought thier idea of changing Clutch plates + Release bearings, which would have costed another Rs 25000/-. The total repair cost would have been close to Rs 50000!
    BTW, I have raised a complaint with Fiat regarding this episode. Let's see how it goes.