1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A weekend which made a diffrence to some.....

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by obliex, Jun 28, 2010.

1. obliex

obliex Amatore

To give back something to the society is probably one of humane thing a person can do. This was a step towards me becoming a better person than I was a day before. We were a group of about 13 people and the mission was spread the word of education to under-priviledged children living around Mulshi, about 35kms from Pune. Most of these are children of farm-workers etc who have pretty much limited access to outside world. The day was Saturday 26th June. We planned to distribute School bags and 6 notebooks to each student. There were 3 schools in all with total 60 students. Let me sum up my experiences in points
    1. The schools are usually upo 4 th std. For anything above that they have to travel about 6-7kms on foot.
    2. Their village has no transport facility. I haven't seen a bus in the whole day.
    3. The school is one room. Fortunately a localite put up a couple of computers in the rooms so that student atleast know what a computer is. No internet. No electricity so I doubt is computer work.
    4. There are 2 teachers and they have to handle 4 schools. Hats-off to them. We raise hell when our kids do not get a teacher for PT or drawing.

We did not expect a grand welcome but were really surprised when the whole village turned up with sarpanch madam and village elders and we had a sort of a ceremony. I was really touched seeing so many happy faces and each one proudly display their new school bags.

I believe I have reached the end of my vocabulary and let the pictures do the talking now. There are quite a few of them , so please bear with me.

2 people like this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow that a great way to spend one day.
    Hope they get better education.
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    That is incredible !! Hats off to you Obliex.

Do you do this through some organisation ?
  4. obliex

obliex Amatore

No Not through any NGO ... We all take help from our company ... The company provides Vitamin M , rest all we take care ...
  5. wow.. good effort Obliex, a weekend spent on the social activities like this is a weekend worth spent.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

This is really Good Work!! We too have similar undertakings through our company, and through some NGOs here. As far as I see, identifying the real needy people, the timing of the support and also distributing the limited resources among them is really critical in these endeavors.
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Very good gesture, Vikrant. Its very touching.

I studied in a similar school. :) Not same type but similar, slightly better - a Govt. Buniyadi Taluka Shala. By God's grace, by that time my father made it convenient for me. However, my father studied in similar environs (may be even back-dated than this) walking 8-9 kms daily to reach school & grown on to become an engineer during those times. Tough. Very tough when all others in family/ neighbours are in farming.
  8. arian

arian Amatore

truly inspiring

I think from time to time we at 'team fiat' should work towards organising something similar. Such initiatives will add a lot of substance to our existing team meets when generally meet up to discuss cars.

9. obliex

obliex Amatore

I was as if I related to those kids. I did my 9th/10th11th from a school near Mahad (on Mumbai-Goa highway) . Simple joy of getting a new pencil or a new book or a schoolbag lights up these kids. As a matter of fact these kids are not from the area , they are mostly from Latur , Parbhani . Their parent work as daily labourers. Sad part is they miss school in rainy season for couple of months since they help their parents on farms during sowing season.Talk of eradicating child labour ...
  10. obliex

obliex Amatore

I fully agree and offer my support if there is any such initiative. For that matter we do not have to travel far. In my project group (size 40 strong) . We occasionally collect 100Rs each and buy rice, dal , wheat , hair oil , tooth brush /paste etc and distribute it among couple of orphanages in Pune . This way collect about 4000Rs a month which is sufficient for the rations.
    Believe it or not the smallest kid I have seen in a orphanage is a girl 8months old. I couldn't believe her parents could abandon her. These orphanages are usually one room say 15 feet by feet housing close to 30 kids each.