1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A twist, A turn; there's the Coffee land

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by zenwalker, Mar 27, 2015.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

With a week gone by admiring the western ghats, of my beautiful state. It was time, i took my tigress for a spin in the similar trench, and time she needed some fresh air.

With multiple options in our head, we finally shortlisted chikmagalur to roll. As usual, we 3 folks: Varun aka sleepy joe, myself aka zenwalker and Harish aka HKCrazy, initially decided to drift. With just a day left for the big day, another friend Mallikarjuna aka Malli tagged along.

By tradition, we always depart on friday evening and do the night drive to save the day time, but this time we broke that out and decided to do early morning drive due to people commitments. Around 0300, the other three reached my home in their carriage. We departed bangalore around 4AM and took the Mangalore highway. Early morning drive was pleasant and enjoyable as the traffic is almost zilch.

Enroute Hassan
    A burst out laughing moment, when our HKCrazy, went looking for a compass in his kitty to find out the rising sun direction :D After tears in the eyes with pain in the belly, we started off. The drive was calm and serene all along the highway. Was about to skip the detour towards Shravanabelagola, the guys decided to hit this place as well few of us hadn't been there till. Shravanabelagola is around 15+ kms away from the highway, the road passes through calm serene farm lands and villages.

Since, we reached this place early morning, the sun heat was less and the rock was much cooler. Climbing this hill wasn't of a big task except for sleepy joe.

Spend another hour at this place enjoying the morning breeze, mild sun heat and the environment around.

Having breakfast, we left towards Hassan. In next an hour, we reached hassan and took a break for a while. Then we left towards destination via Belur. Around 1 PM we reached chikmagalur town. There we bought some stuffs and then departed towards our home stay which was around 20 kms away from the town.

Around 1500 we reached our home stay. The home stay was in the midst of coffee plantations and it was a pleasant to be in this pace. The road towards the homestay wasn't that good yet it brought a good feeling to drive through.

This Oakridge homestay sits in the midst of 300 acre coffee plantation and very near to the highest peak of Karnataka: Mullayangiri.

The home stay is pretty big enough and has around 5 rooms with 2 big halls. Can accommodate at least 20 people. We paid 2k per head which includes 3 time food. The rooms are kept pretty clean, the rest rooms were facilitated and maintained well.

The homestay has alot of resting places one can relax by either indoors or outdoor watching the beautiful nature ahead.

After resting for some time and then lunch (thanks to caretaker, who waited till evening on lunch), we took some power naps. Then around 1630, we decided to refresh ourselves with a bit of sport. There was a huge area in front of the house which used for drying coffee seeds available for playing.

The cricket went on for another hour or so. The scorching heat was something unbearable during the hour.

The evening went on a bit relaxing after the sport activity. We just took shower and then tea with snacks were served. The caretaker at this premiss is a very nice lady who took care of us and rest of the family who were in the adjoining rooms, well. She even voluntarily offered us some juice.

With all the snacks done, it was time for us to take a stroll and enjoy the nature and prepare the night fall while the other family in next rooms decided to wander out to nearby places.

Around 7ish, caretaker played the music and a fire for the snacks (kababs and bajjis), we enjoyed the evening for another hour or 2 and then for dinner around 0930. Rest few hours just passed away by chit chatting ourselves next to the fire, before hitting the sack.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 27, 2015 ---
    Day 2:

Next day, we all woke up around 8 and got ready by 10. Finishing off the breakfast, we decided to hit the mullayanagiri. After fresh up, off to the highest peak in karnataka. From the homestay, it was around 13 kms away. It took as another 30 mins to reach; the roads were not that great.

Driving at this altitude was really awesome with the nature around.

The view from the up top was really spectacular.

Fella enjoying the vacation, perfect place ;)
    Stairway to heaven!
    The Ariel look at the tigress was splendid and to me it looked as if the guards were surrounded ;)

Spot the tigress ;)
    Next hour we spent at the hill-top enjoying the view and then back to the parking lot. By this time, the tigress grabbed my attention towards her. What happens next is just obvious ;)

While, i was busy shooting the tigress, one of the visitor dropped by and requested to take a pic. Apparently, he was a FIAT freak too and a member of Team FIAT India forum and goes by name Renju (Sorry, if i have spelled it wrong)

We then departed, since the roads on the hill-top was really narrow and the traffic increased, i had to slow down a lot. It was a bit of challenging yet fun to drive down the hill, while the beauty of nature impresses the corner of the eye.

--- Double Post Merged, Mar 27, 2015 ---
    We had left our luggage back at the homestay, we drove back and got refreshed a bit and finally bid adieu to the plantation. We then decided to visit Kemmannugundi.

It was another 40km away distance. Another hour or 2 well spend driving in the midst of the nature and through the curves. What better feeling one can get than driving our beauties, ye? ;)

On the way, we visited a coffee shop which was again in the coffee plantation run by the owner. Though the prices here were exorbitant, we still wanted to sip away a cup. On the way, we managed to click away few snaps.

With refreshment break done, we then departed towards kemmannugundi. While the fellow guys took a turn by turn for back-seat nap, we finally reached the place. The road enroute kemmannugundi is not good. For few kms the road is just gravel and muddy. At this point, the rain started to pour. Looks like the rain gods wanted us to cool down and have more fun of the nature around.

With a lot of heat around, it was big relief that it rained. We enjoyed the cold breeze, the rain and not to mention the spectacular beauty of nature around.

When the rain stopped after 30 mins or so, we decided to depart from this scenic beauty. Next was to visit kalhatti falls, which is widely known for its medicinal benefits from the waterfalls.

Surely this place is really messed up and our people have created hell lot of garbage in the name of divine. Sad! :(

With more curves down the terrain of chikamagalur, we reached the skirts of this district, where the roads stopped being fun to drive. Yet the distant mountains were looking spectacular to mesmerize.

Then as we had planned earlier, we visited HKCrazy's distant relative home. With a bit of coffee and snacks, it was time we finally bid adieu to this heaven.

The return route we chose via Berur -> Kadur -> Tiptur -> Tumkur. The roads were good but single lane. Thus it took around 5 hours to reach bangalore.

It's often said by wise folks that to make any thing better, not just the place/environment matters but equally the company one has. I am glad and thankful to proudly say that, i have the vibrant, enthusiastic friends who always make my trip an awesome event.

Thanks for reading :)

Blog post: http://wp.me/p1SY2i-k5

More pics : https://plus.google.com/photos/104890710223822575506/albums/6127078325195441185

Note: Kindly do not carry alcohol towards above places listed as its now a Tiger Reserve, a strict prohibition check post exists plus alot of dirt are thrown in the forest area thus affecting the wild life.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Fantastic travelogue as usual. Great pics and even greater narration. Good to see you get like minded guys to accompany you on your trips.

Keep travelling and drive safe.
    zenwalker likes this.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Thanks buddy. Yes i am lucky in this :)
    Traveling/Trekking is my passion, of course ;)

Cant wait for my upcoming Leh-Ladakh bike ride in May :D Super excited
    mchanna likes this.
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice pics Zen. A refreshing post amid-st Fiat sales worry posts going around in the forum :p Last couple of turn to Mullyangiri is always challenging and exciting with the road getting narrow and steep. I visited after monsoon and it was much more greener then. But, nevertheless! Western ghats always mesmerizes visitors
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Yep, with alot of negativity going on here, glad that this was a turn over for a while :D
    Hmm...The roads would be more worse in the monsoon yet the whole weather, aura would be really awesome than now. Ill plan a monsoon perhaps :D
    Glad you like it. Thanks
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Linea 1.3
    An informative travelogue and also feast to eyes. Having seen Kudremukh / Chikmagalur area in couple of travelogues, I am tempted to visit these places. Have been twice through the Mumbai-Bangaluru route and now wish to consider a detour via Kudremukh during my next trip with a night halt there. I don't know if the route from Ranebennur - Shivamogga to Chikmagalur / Kudremukh is good or not. Arguably, October may be a best time for this trip?
    zenwalker likes this.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Thanks, glad you liked it. Yes the western ghats always a true place to admire.
    mchanna likes this.
  8. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Awesome narration and supporting pics. Western Ghats are made for travellers, every time you visit it doesn't disappoint you, it creates a fresh memory.

Hopefully we cross our paths in leh ;-)
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Sure does the nature always leaves an admirer's jaw dropped ;) No wonder she is so marvelous yet getting damaged by the ill human kind :(

If your travel falls between may 23rd - Jun 6, then we might cross the path at some point. If i see series of FIATs, i am sure thats TFI gang and def will try to stop by to say hello. :)
    Damn writing about leh, brings chills in me. Super excited already ;)
    mchanna likes this.
  10. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi @zenwalker excellent and crisp writeup as usual. As you correctly said having great travel partners makes trip more memorable.

When i was in Chikmanglur last time, same place we had a Coffee. The Coffee shop name is "Coffee Barn." Costly but very good fresh coffee. They make awesome bread omelets also. Last time we had at-least 3 Plates each for evening snacks while returning from Kalahasti Falls.