1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A trip to Rameshwaram

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by dhaya76, May 18, 2016.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sometimes our trips are planned from nowhere. My son doing 5th standard and he has a project to complete and it is all about temples in Tamilnadu and write 5 lines about the same. When he was writing he asked me whether we can go to Rameshwaram to see the Pamban bridge and I said "let us see". This happened in mid of April 2016 and while talking to him a week before travel he reminded me and I immediately said, "let us do it" since 16th is holiday in Tamilnadu for voting. My voting is still in Trichy so I can achieve both in this trip. Pictures were taken in my mobile, so pls excuse for the quality.

Started from Chennai on Friday evening and reached home in Trichy around 1:15 am. The plan was to start at 7 am however it was delayed by 2 hrs. I was informed by my friends that the route after Karaikudi wasn't that great and hence I took Trichy - Madurai - Ramanathapuram - Rameshwaram which is 60 kms more than Trichy - Karaikudi - Devakottai - Ramanathapuram - Rameshwaram.

But the drive was very good, road widening work is happening between Madurai - Paramakudi however the roads are good. Post paramakudi until Ramanathapuram there are small patches which we need to watch over, you can do steady 60 kmph in this stretch. After Ramanathapuram the roads are good and the only issue is that there is no road markings available which can create some discomfort for night drive. Reached Pamban bridge around 1:30 pm in between we stopped for Tea and fuel refill.

View of Pamban Bridge

upload_2016-5-18_12-23-52.png

I booked in hotel named MCM, it is comfortable and is located just 150 meters from Sea and Temple however the road to the hotel parking is very narrow, not even a bicycle can go in the opposite side when you are in the stretch. Food definitely not to my taste, so we decided to have dinner and break fast next day in a different restaurant. Same day we had bath in Sea and all the 22 wells and had a very good dharshan, my kids enjoyed every moment there. We had early morning dharshan (5 am dharshan called spadigalingam dharshan) and started back to Trichy and planned to visit four places on the way. As planned, first we visited Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam resident and then visited Kothandaramar temple which is on the way to Dhanushkodi, the temple is situated around 200 mtrs in the sea.

upload_2016-5-18_12-24-24.png

upload_2016-5-18_12-24-44.png

Way to Kothandaramar Temple

upload_2016-5-18_12-26-13.png

Family members posing for a photo in the temple

upload_2016-5-18_12-30-46.png

We started at 10 am from Rameshwaram after breakfast and next stop is thirupullani temple which is about 10 kms from Ramanathapuram on the ECR road. During this drive my car reached the milestone of 80K kms on pamban bridge and I parked my car on the side and while taking the picture of the same we saw the Chennai - Rameshwaram express entering into the pamban bridge, kids were over joyed to see the train.

upload_2016-5-18_12-26-39.png

upload_2016-5-18_12-26-56.png

Next stop is Devipattinam Navagraaha temple. This temple is in the sea, 50 meters from the land, there is a neat bridge available until the temple. 5 out of 9 status we saw and others submerged in the water and that is because the size of the status are not same. Couple of photos taken

upload_2016-5-18_12-27-12.png

upload_2016-5-18_12-27-23.png

We headed back to home and this time I decided to take the Devakottai - Karaikudi - Pudukottai - Trichy route since from Devipattinam it is only 165 odd kms. The route was not that bad but there are potholes which are about a feet depth and need to be very careful and the other problem is, it goes through Devakottai town which is definitely takes about 30 mins to cross and some of them are very bad stretch with bad roads. From there to Karaikudi is excellent, newly laid road and we had our lunch in Karaikudi Annapoorna hotel. We reached our home in Trichy at 4:50 pm which was as expected.

This time we missed to visit Dhanushkodi since my parents don't want to mix temple visit and Dhanushkodi, next year we will plan to visit the place.

Any one know the road condition between Chennai to Tiruchendur through ECR? I am planning for a trip through ECR which I haven't done so far.

Pamban Bridge.JPG
    PradeepM, pdash, Ravi_M and 7 others like this.
  2. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Refreshing pictures. I had a visit to Rameswaram couple of years back. May be next time go through Karaikudi, you can visit Pillayarpatti temple. By the way my hometown is Karaikudi.
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I visited Pillayarpatti temple last year and this time we skipped it because my kids already started saying we are visiting too many temples in the trip, so I kept it for next visit.
    Giridhar likes this.
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    All those living in southern part of India are so fortunate! I envy them all. I am sitting here far away only wishing to visit all these places. Thank you @dhaya76 for the pictures.
  5. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @dhaya76. Agree with what kids are saying. We too would have told to our parents. But not at the same rate what kids says now.