1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A trip to OOTY !! {Need help from the participants of Mega event}

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vvk007, Oct 8, 2012.

1. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    Hello TFIans

I am Vikram Kamath from Shimoga. I badly missed out the big mega event at Ooty because of my Internals/Exams. Just went through the whole thread reading every bit of all the posts.

Inspired from the all the posts, I got strong inclination to make a trip to Ooty. After lot of discussions, Somehow I could convince my father, mother and sister for a trip to Ooty. So, In total we would be 4 of us going to Ooty on 20th, 21st and 22nd October.

Now, the main problem is I don’t know anything about Ooty, not even a single bit. So, I would be really helpful if anyone would help me with the following problems.

1. Which is the best Hotel/Lodge/Resort to stay in Ooty? (Economical range preferred)

2. What are all the Places ( in and around Ooty) I can go with my family? I just googled, But it revealed so many places, I am not sure whether I can cover so many places or not? Any MUST SEE places?

3. I just searched in Google Maps for the better routes to Ooty.
    So it would be
    Shimoga-Mysore-Ooty.
    And for the return trip I am planning Ooty-Mysore-Mangalore-Shimoga.
    It would be of very much help if someone has any idea on road conditions of the above mentioned places.

Please TFians, Help your buddy TFian for a successfull trip to Ooty !! ;)
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You can think about the same Hotel Lake View in Ooty. It is a good hotel. Hotel Lakeview - HILL RESORTS - OOTY HOTELS - NILGIRIS | Hill resorts south india - hotels in ooty | tamilnadu hotels south india |Lakeview hotels - nilgiris - hill resorts in tamilnadu - hotel Lakeview ooty,
    Apart from these, there are hell lot of hotels in Ooty. Lake view is economical and good for the price. And good thing is you can park your car right in front of the cottage where you will be staying.

Split into 2 parts. Local sightseeing and around Ooty.
    Locally, you can see the following places.
    - Ooty Botanical Garden
    - Ooty Lake
    - Rose Garden
    - Dodapetta: About 8 kms. It is the highest peak in Nilgiris.

Around Ooty.
    - Coonoor: See the Sims park here. It is good. I would also suggest you to take the Hill train from Ooty to Coonoor for this. You can experience the mountain train as well. The distance is 20 kms.
    - Pykara Falls and Dam - About 25 kms from Ooty. You can cover many more places on the way like 5th mile and 7th mile. Those are shooting spots.

I don't have the information on road condition from Shimoga-Mysore. But, the road from Mysore to Ooty will be good. From Mudumalai, you will have 2 options to Ooty. Through Gudalur or through Masinagudi. The route through Masinagudi is adventurous.

Do let me know if you need any more information.
    2 people like this.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    1 person likes this.
  4. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    Thanks a lot !! Can You explain me a bit about Ooty-Coonoor route and Mountain Train?

And most importantly, I heard that the Lakeview hotel has cottages only for 2 people and no facility for 4 people in a single cottage. Is it true?

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Thank you. will definitely consider Nahar Nilgiris. A very wide range of Tariff they have, as mentioned in their website.
  5. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You can opt for the Execute Suite. It can very well accomodate more than 2. Check with the hotel on this. Alternately, if you want to stay at off-beat places, then think about this Twin Tree resorts at Kotagiri (20 kms from Ooty). I have stayed in this resort and I only have one word to describe it. Awesome. Superb ambience, Excellent and spacious rooms, Good service, Awesome Food too. Check this out - Kotagiri Twin Tree Mountain Resorts

Ooty mountain train is very popular and it is one of the narraw gauge in India which was laid during the British rule. Train service is operated between Mettupalayam and Ooty (via Coonoor, Wellington). And there are couple of passenger service between Ooty and Coonoor as well.
    Check this out for more information and the train timings. Ooty
  6. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    Thank you for the all the links. Is it true that we have to cross Bandipur Wildlife area and reach Ooty within 6 pm?
  7. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    And should I book the train tickets now? or Is it easily available when i reach Ooty?
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes. You have to. Mudumalai, Gudalur and Masinagudi area is also dense and make sure that you reach Ooty before 6PM.

Online reservation is available for the train from Mettupalayam to Ooty. For the passenger services between Ooty and Coonoor, you can get the tickets at the counter itself at the Ooty Railway Station.
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Avoid Lake View if you can, As Ramjn mentioned Twin Tree is a better option if you're having your own transport. If you want to explore the untouched part of Nilgiris would recommend staying somewhere around Emerald Lake in Avalanche. I heard that EB/Forest guys are taking people in jeep inside the dense forest - Should be worth trying.
  10. vvk007

vvk007 Amatore

Shimoga
    Any particular reason for avoiding Lakeview.? Because I had almost finalized on Lakeview.
    Is it possible for you to name some hotels/resorts around Emerald lake so that I can check it in makemytrip and finalize it

Sent from my LG-P970 using Tapatalk