1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A trip to Malvan in Punto

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sungoa2010, Nov 14, 2012.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    very nice place sun! i had also never heard about it.. :)

we need to be smart with the GPS.. as per my experience with MMI, 95% times its right but the rest 5% of times it misguides.

For example, and it happens quite often, i am driving on a four lane road which is very much straight, all of a sudden the GPS will say turn right. This, when I know that the correct route is straight here! then i look back and notice that there was a lesser known fork to the left with a narrow road starting from the point where GPS said turn right!
    so 'turn right' actually means 'do not turn left' in such scenarios :)

During my initial days with the GPS i used to get confused with such misdirections but now i am totally used to it :)
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Heard melodies are sweet(Goan beaches) and unheard melodies are even sweeter. Very much true for this place.:)

Thanks for tips about GPS.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    GPS has been very helpful navigating through sections unknown to me in Banglore city. Once I had to got Kalasipalayam from Sarjapur very early in the morning, the device took me to a road which is hadly wide enough for an auto. I had to take u turn and go back some distance.
    This just means there are situations where you have to unfollow the suggestions from GPS.

You said it right. very nice place is really nice and clean beaches too...May be yet to be in the known tourism map, to be exploited by commercial tourism.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Before the trip I made a list of Google coordinates for all important places and saved it on GPS. Instead of searching for POI I now days prefer coordinates which is more handy.

In the town GPS took me via a one way route. As soon as I entered I saw one bike fellow blinking his headlights. Then I realized that I am going in wrong direction. Luckily punto some how managed to come out without much difficulty and there were no cops.

On 13th night I entered a narrow market area in Malvan on my return trip from Tarkarli beach. I thought my punto was going to get few dents or scratches. The market was so crowded and the roads were filled with all types of vehicles. Luckily there was a MSRTC bus in front of me which cleared my way. :D
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    We checked out the room at 10 AM on 14th November and thought of visiting Sindudurg fort and then starting our return journey. We had tasty Upma prepared in Maharashtrian way provided by the lodge owner. The check out time was 9Am but the owner allowed us to stay till 10 AM. We went o Malvan jetty in Punto and parked the punto there. There were people waiting for the boat to go to sindudurg fort. The boat will start only if there is 35-40 people. There are boats that available if we take snorkeling and scuba diving and after that they will take us to fort. We paid for snorkeling (300) and managed to go in that boat. They dropped half of the people in Fort and took the remainig half for snorkeling. Once they finish snorkeling they will take us and will drop the other half for fort. I was in no mood for snorkeling since my son was not well and also didn't take any cloths to change. But that was the only options for us to see the Fort.

Sindudurg Fort was build by Maratha ruler Shivaji. The fort is surrounded by sea and situated on a rocky island. The boundary of the island is surrounded by the fort wall. A detailed history of the sindudurg fort can be seen here. Sindhudurg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A typical Malvan veg thali
    13112012(002).jpg

They have displayed the names and pictures of fishes available in restaurant. A detailed price list is also displayed next to it.
    13112012(004).jpg

Sindudurg fort view while approaching in boat
    DSC02961.JPG

DSC02967.JPG

2 people like this.
  6. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats Sun for good exp in Malvan and Thanks for providing us this exp. :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa

Some more photos of Sindhudurg fort
    DSC02975.JPG

DSC02974.JPG

DSC02972.JPG

DSC02977.JPG

DSC02982.JPG

View of sea from fort
    DSC02983.JPG

DSC02984.JPG

DSC02986.JPG

DSC02987.JPG

DSC02988.JPG

DSC02991.JPG

DSC02992.JPG

This place is where we land from boat to go inside the fort.
    DSC02997.JPG

This was the last place we visited. We came back from fort around 1 PM had our Malvan thali lunch at a place where they provide home foods.
    We actually thought of coming via Vengurla beach but my son was not well and we didn't want to avoid unknown route and followed the same route that we had taken while coming.

When I started Sun welcomed us and when we reached the air port road near our home same sun said bye to us and disappeared. This time he was feeling proud since my red punto was full of dust;)

Airport road
    DSC03001.JPG

Travelogue ends here. Thanks for all your comments and thanks TFI for giving a wonderful platform to share this travelogue :)
    2 people like this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    FE figures

[table="width: 500, class: grid"]

Route
    Distance(kms)
    FE

HOME(Vasco)-Kudal

Home-Malvan(+local)

Malvan-Home

Home-Malvan-Home(+local trip)
    Punto 1.4 can easily reach 17+ in Highway. In my case the worst condition of SH118 brought the FE down to 14.8 from 17.9.
    [/table]
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The FE figures are indeed impressive.

My old Getz 1.3 never gave me more than 14.5 on highway.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Major portion of state highway was full of pot holes. One has to drive in 2nd and 3rd gear to avoid them. From the table it is clear how the figure has drastically dropped from 17.9 to 14.9.

12-13 is what we get in our Getz 1.3 at home(Aluva).:)