1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A trip back in time

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Flywheel, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    My mother decided to visit us and since she has always wanted to visit Ajanta & Ellora we decided to go there over the weekend. I was initially toying with the idea of including Shirdi with this trip as well but then decided against it due to a paucity of time which turned out to be a good decision.

So with all hotel bookings made I called up mother and asked her what time her flight was landing expecting it to be sometime late in the night. Unfortunately it was 6 PM, for those of you from Pune you will know that it’s kind of the worst time to be driving anywhere. So I promised here she would get a complete Pune experience as soon as she lands ;) and resigned myself to the horrible fate of navigating this chaos at peak hour.

A sample of the amazing work our ancestors left behind for us.

IMG_2244.jpg

Since I had a couple of days before she landed I requested (Note to all bachelors: you request your wife never tell them wink.png ) my wife to reduce the salt content in food, you don't want a high BP while driving in Pune at that time lest you end up with a burst artery wink.png I got a scowl in return and a lecture on how I should be patient and not curse every possible thing moving on the road ( Note to bachelors: Even if a requesting doesn't work, try outsourcing such work to flowers and chocolates)

Murphy's Law caught up as usual and everything that could go wrong went wrong the day I had to leave early frown.png I somehow managed to wrap things up by 5 and scooted from office to the airport. The plane was on time and well we were off from the airport by 6:30PM and jumped right into the chaos. The rest as they say is history, the traffic was bad and maniacs were aplenty and I cursed everything that was moving but did reach home in one piece. Amen to that!
    So it was decided that we would leave by 5 30 AM the next day and amid a din of a lot of protests I hit the sack. As usual I was up by 4 30 and was ready in half an hour and started doing the regular checks on the car before a long drive and loaded all the luggage while I waited for the women to get ready. It was beyond shock when I realized that we were all in the car why 5:25 AM and ready to leave. Just to make his presence felt Murphy raised his ugly head again. My wife realized she had left something at home and so we waited while she went up 6 floors and came back.
    I used this break to take some early morning snaps.

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    4 people like this.
  2. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    So around 5:45 we were off and our destination was Aurangabad, my mother had gotten those lovely Krispy Kreme donuts from Bangalore so we thought we could skip breakfast and head straight to Aurangabad. The traffic was pretty light and we were making good progress and I was enjoying the donuts but greed got the better of me and I decided to stop for breakfast and Smile Stone which is around 20 from Ahmendnagar. The time was 7 30 AM and after a some really crisp dosa's and half an hour later we left Smile stone and crossed Ahmendnagar without much problems.

The roads surface wasn't great after Ahmendnagar even though it was four laned but we still had to pay tolls ( No wonder the MNS is receiving a lot of support) . This is the stretch were the Linea really shined she just gobbled up the potholes and surface undulations without complaining and by 10 AM we were on the outskirts of Aurangabad.
    The initial plan was to go straight to Ellora Caves but then we thought we could do that after checking into the hotel and lunch. So we headed straight for Bibi Ka Maqbara, the GPS took us through some awfully narrow roads and well we did get there in one piece and this is what we saw

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

A closer look
    IMG_2074.JPG

The intricate work
    IMG_2076.JPG

I am sure if you measured them with a tape the distance between each fountain would be the same.
    IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG
    8 people like this.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Can't wait.... now.... add some more pix too.....
    1 person likes this.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I never knew that there is a mini Taj Mahal in India. :) Thank you for sharing the photos.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    It was close to 12 now and we decided to head to the hotel, I should have asked around and found best route but decided to stubbornly stick to the GPS which took us on the shortest route but they were the narrowest roads as well. After a hellish 20 minutes where I cringing more than actually driving we got onto to broad road with a collective sigh of relief. We checked into our hotel Lemon Tree and headed for lunch.

I enquired with the reception and was told that the Ellora caves was just an hour's drive but he also said sir they close by 6 even 3 hrs might not be enough to see everything! In all my wisdom I decided that he didn't know what he was talking about and that I would never spend so much time looking at caves. But still we left the hotel by 2 30 PM only to get into an awful traffic jam. By awful I mean 45 mins to cross a stupid signal.

We reached Ellora by 4 and I will let the pictures do the talking

Please note this picture have been taken from the internet as I did not have a good snap of the temple.

KailashTemple.jpg

The Ellora Caves

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

Each of the caves would have rooms like these which were apparently used by the people who were building them

IMG_2099.JPG

A large hall/durbar

IMG_2116.JPG

Lord Buddha everywhere

IMG_2119.JPG

The amount of work involved to do these things is mind boggling

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

You can even see the saree being held in the hand if you look closely!!!

IMG_2187.JPG

Precision engineering

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

The beautiful temple -The entire temple was built top down, i.e they started digging from the top and carved this beautiful structure !!

Ellora_cave16_001.jpg

IMG_2167.JPG

KailashTemple.jpg

Saw these two sharing a private moment

IMG_2140.JPG

and these three were staring :D

IMG_2142.JPG

By the time we covered the Hindu and Buddhist caves it was nearing 6 and we were tired as we have already spent 2 hrs. We decided to give the Jain caves as pass which was a mistake apparently since they are supposed to be beautiful. On the way back the women wanted to buy some sarees and stuff so I did what I normally do biggrin.png

IMG_2195.JPG
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    3 people like this.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Few pictures have come very nice ::T.

Ajantha-Ellora is always in my list, but never went. Surely this thread is making me excited.
    1 person likes this.
  7. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Great Write up! and pics...:up
    1 person likes this.
  8. edurgesh

edurgesh Novizio

Pune
    Nice pictures! :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. bharath

bharath Regolare

Coimbatore
    I wonder why the mini Tajmahal has never come out till date ! May be ,it was to keep the real "Taj Mahal" to be unique and exclusive.All pictures look great and pleasing to eyes.The last Linea picture (present age craftmanship) competes well with the old age Architectures :)
    1 person likes this.
  10. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    After navigating another awful traffic snarl it was back to hotel and some lovely Chinese food at the Republic of Noodles. With my hunger satisfied I did the next best thing, sleep biggrin.png

The next day we had an early breakfast ( By early I mean 7 AM wink.png ) checked out of the Hotel and headed to Ajanta Caves. Close to 2 hrs later we and some half decent roads we reached Ajanta. I wasn't able to take to many snaps since Photography with Flash wasn't allowed and well I really couldn't get anything decent without the flash frown.png

The caves quite literally blew my mind, Just trying to imaging the grandeur of it during its hey days was breathtaking. I still can't get by head around how they managed to build these caves. How do you remove all that rock and if it was removed where is it?

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

The level of detailing...

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG

Paint which has lasted more than a millennia

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

The grand entrances to each of these caves

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

Lord Buddha

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2244.jpg

I wasn't able to take snaps of the best work at Ajanta due to the bad lighting, makes it a good reason for all of you to go take a look in person biggrin.png .

So after lunch at Ajanta we left for Pune and 7 hours later we were home safely with the Jet performing admirably yet again!!

I was tired walking around most of the time and so the snaps are pretty iffy, make for a good reason to head out there again and come back with good snaps wink.png Thank you for reading through this.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014