1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A tale of 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by sathishgv, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Should be ok. OE bulbs, can be put on relays.
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    There is some twist coming in my tale of 90 HP. I am planning to do the following.

1. Change the dome light with LED.
    2. Upgrade the head light to 90/100.

Completed the purchase of items required for the above two. Also, i had done the following upgrade.

1. Upgrade of tyres to Yokohama Earth1 195/65/15 from Goodyear GT3 195/60/15 (stock)
  3. vigneshrace

vigneshrace Amatore

Chennai
    Post the Pics of your Punto with the above mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Dome light changed to LED

I am trying to post the pictures of my punto with the new set of tyres but i don't know why my camera is not getting on. I thought the battery must be down and kept for charging but again after a whole night of charging its not getting switched on. May be the battery needs to be changed. So, went ahead and changed the dome light to LED. Took photos with my mobile but the 2.0 megapixel of my micromax sucks. I will update the pictures later on with my nikon coolpix.

The LED light was ordered from snapdeal and here is the link for that prodcut

AutoSun - Car Auto Dome Roof Light 16 Smd 31Mm Festoon Connector

Actually i ordered this product
    AutoSun - 16 SMD Dome/Roof Light For Car - White

but snapdeal wrongly delivered the first product. Anyway i raised the issue with snapdeal and they were quick enough to give me a refund without asking to send the wrong product. So, the LED light was bought at zero cost:dance

Even though the LED was with me i was wondering how to use that. To use that in the Dome i just need to increase the length of the LED. Today evening i felt very bored and was about to play pool on facebook and suddenly an idea came to my mind. I had some old RC toy cars of my son and remembered that it had battery case. To hold the battery in place and to give connectivity to an array it had some thin plates with spring. I took those and the rest you can in pictures.

The LED which is 31 mm in length
    IMG_20140517_213651.jpg

Length increased to 39 mm with "jugaad"
    IMG_20140517_213729.jpg

The thin plate from the battery holder in RC toy car
    IMG_20140517_213802.jpg

Removed the stock bulb and placed the thin plate with spring on one end. Then fixed the LED. Since there was no anchor to hold the spring, the LED bounced but after fitting the plastic cover the thin plate with spring got tightly secured.
    IMG_20140517_220336.jpg

Steps explained in the following pictures
    IMG_20140517_220531.jpg
    IMG_20140517_220626.jpg
    IMG_20140517_220749.jpg
    IMG_20140517_220829.jpg

Stock bulb on right side
    IMG_20140517_221206.jpg

LED on left side
    IMG_20140517_221212.jpg

After changing both the bulbs
    IMG_20140517_221513.jpg

IMG_20140517_221529.jpg

Though the LED was not so bright, found it was as bright as the stock bulbs and the white light gave a cool feeling when compared to the yellow light of the stock bulb. Also, with black interiors the white light was contrast and it looked nice.

Sorry guys, for the time being try to imagine and i will post clear pictures soon.

Though this qualifies for the DIY thread i am posting it here since its a part of my tale of 90 HP :p
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Ravi, naruf1 and Crazy Fiatian like this.
  5. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Here are the before and after photos of my car regarding the tyre upgrade

Before with 195/60/R15 Profile Good Year GT3 tyres
    DSCN3528.jpg

After with 195/65/R15 Profile Yokohama Earth1 tyres
    DSCN3580.jpg
    3 people like this.
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yesterday, got my power steering pressure pipes replaced as the hose attached with the pipe gone kaput. Also, the window regulator on left front door replaced. Both these were replaced under extended warranty. Still to replace the battery. Along with "Air bag failure" now i get the car with lock symbol in my dashboard sometimes.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are getting this symbol, get it checked, battery looks to be main culprit.

Error.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Today it was raining here. It's time for me to check aquaplaning of the new Yoko Earth1 tyres. There was a pool of water and i drove in that at about 50 kmph and the tyres disperses water well. I did not feel any difference in the grip. Is the effect of aquaplaning more pronounced at higher speeds?
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I replaced my car battery with the again Exide. Now, I am not getting any error while starting and also the engine fires up in a couple of cranks. I have installed Exide Mileage MI DIN50. I cost me 5600/- and with 800/- deducted for the old battery the final price came to 4800/-. The battery comes with 4 yr warranty, 2 yr replacement warranty and after that pro rated replacement warranty. Did some research about various batteries and also upgrading, but at last decided to stick to the OEM specification and brand.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yesterday something strange happened to my car. Both the left and right front widows refused to roll up. A couple of days earlier the front right window did not roll down instantly but after a strong push of the switch it responded. I thought that now its time for a window motor change (all the other window motor already replaced one by one under warranty). Yesterday too the window did not respond when i rolled it up but it responded when i rolled it down. I thought it may wind up after completely rolling it down but I was wrong. The glass window stayed down. I removed the switch panel and disconnected it and reconnected it again thinking that it may solve the problem (similar to a hard boot :)). But still no response from the right side. To make sure that the there is no problem with the connections, I rolled down the left window from the driver side panel and it worked. Then when i tried to roll it up again it doesn't move. Rolled it down completely and tried again but its not rolling up just like the right side glass window. I changed the left side window motor only in July 2014 under warranty and the chances of it failing too soon doesn't make sense. Since its holiday season here I have to wait till Monday to get it rectified.

In the mean time can u guys suggest any solution, or else, if any of you faced such problems?

In the mean time I will try to troubleshoot this problem with the help of elearn.