1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A tale of 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by sathishgv, Jun 27, 2011.

1. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Disclaimer
    all the places, persons and incidents in this story is true and any resemblance to any person living or dead is intentional.
    Hello fiatians,
    This is my first post in the ownership thread about my first new car. My previous car was wagon R 2005 model. I also own a RE machismo 350.

MY FIRST CAR
    As i have said my first car is a MS wagon R. I bought it as a second hand car in 2007. The car is of 2005 make which was well maintained by the previous owner. That was my first car and after buying that i started getting addicted for driving. I have done a lot of long drives in that car and i liked the roominess and the tall stand of the car.

TIME TO CHANGE
    After almost 2 years and covering around 22ks in the odo, i started loosing the pleasure of driving the car. The reason may be that new brands and cars was entering the indian outo market. The car was also showing signs of aging. Being an used car i did not intend to keep the car for long. So, i decided to change the car.

THOUGH TASK
    I had been thinking of changing the car since 2010 but was keeping postponing the idea. From that time i started keeping track of the auto market and read reviews about the new cars that are being launched. I was attracted by the launch of VW polo and it became my desire to buy one. Initially i was considering only petorl cars. After extensive research i had zeroed on VW polo 1.6. But after a long drive in one of my friends car in a ford ikon, i became a diesel fan. But the review about polo diesel was not good and so i had to change my preference. At that time my previous car owner suggested about punto and i started reading about it. Previously i did not consider FIAT because of its not so popular image and also because of TASS. But after reading through ownership reviews and other reviews i found that the situation has improved a lot. So, decided to give it a TD.
    LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL
    I requested for a TD on FAIL's website and the very next day i recieved call both from the FAIL and also from R.D.Motors, Kolkata. On 24th april i went along with my wife and my friends family for a TD. On reaching the showroom, we saw a red punto standing in between Manza and Vista. Clearly the Punto stood out from the rest. I was very much impressed by its styling, especially its "twinkling eyes" like Head lamps. We did a short TD and was impressed by the overall performance. The TD was a 90 hp one. Only the variant and color has to be decided and we told the SP that we will get back to him soon.
    VARIA(N)TIONS
    I decided to go for an active variant and do mods later on including pete's but my wife and also my friend were against the idea. After going through the features of all the variants my wife suggested that we should go for an emotion variant. Then i said that its better to go for an emotion pack in that case. My wife accepted since she insisted on having ABS and AIRBAGS (because of my driving style :D). Then i observed that the difference between the emotion pk and 90 hp was only 30ks. But my wife was afraid of the extra power in the car (again my driving style :D). I convinced her and i went for booking a 90 HP. After doing a longer TD i booked the 90 HP medium grey. (fortunately no debate on color).
    <m:smallfrac m:val="off"><m:dispdef><m:lmargin m:val="0"><m:rmargin m:val="0"><m:defjc m:val="centerGroup">
    Too long will continue in the next post........
    </m:defjc></m:rmargin></m:lmargin></m:dispdef></m:smallfrac>
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    sathishgv nice to read your 90HP story. You started with Active variant & ended on 90HP thats great. You will enjoy a lot in 90HP Punto.

The most silent Diesel Engine I ever seen. Believe me :)

Congratulation for Italian Stalian & welcome to Team FIAT India. ;-)
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Loved how the hunt began from the Punto Active , but culminated with the GP 90:up
  4. mayurbhatia

mayurbhatia

Pune
    Awesome! Congrats and welcome to the league of Punters :) Waiting for more details and ofcourse the pics.
  5. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    continued...........

PDI
    While waiting for the arrival of my car i was busy preparing PDI checklist from TBHP and was eagerly waiting for the confirmation from the dealer that my car has arrived. On 11th june my previous car owner called me and told that he just saw my car in the stockyard and the car looks stunning:wow. I was very happy to know that even before i took the delivery my car has got a fan :D:dancing. I called the dealer and got confirmation and asked him to arrange for me to do a PDI the very next day. Since it was a sunday he said that the stockyard will not be open and asked to come on monday. But i was able to go only on 15th. here are the first pics which i took to have record as suggested in TBHP forum and also to show it to my wife.
    2j2cav6.jpg
    24f09y0.jpg
    2v964vk.jpg

TWIST IN THE TALE

Till now everything was smooth and fine. But after doing a PDI check and after satisfying on my side i informed the SP that i will do the rest payment. When i tried to do an RTGS transfer i got a message from my bank that there is a limit of 5 laks per day. I told the SP about the problem and assured him that i will pay the rest the next day and asked him to go ahead with the papers. But he replied and as per his company rules it is not possible and for sending the papers for TR the payment has to be made in full. Somehow i managed from another bank to transfer 1 more lakh leaving behind only 25ks. Even then he was not ready to move the papers and asked for the full payment (as per company policy....:punch). I demanded to speak with the Sales Manager and the manager was even worse. He said that even if i paid the entire amount on the same day he can only deliver the car on monday only. :shocked. Then i argued with him and ultimately was able to convince him that i will make the payment on the next day and i was adamant in taking delivery on 17th.

To be continued..........
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Waiting to hear from you sathish about the 90 HP, well expecting all went fine and enjoying the 90HP grande.
  7. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    continued...........

D-DAY

On 16th i got a call from the SP and he told that all the paper works are going as per schedule and i can take the delivery before 1300 hrs on 17th. I was very happy to hear that as i too wanted to take delivery during day time and also wanted to reach home before its dark. But luck was not in my side. It started raining on 16th evening and continued throughout the night. My wife was not in a mood to take the delivery on such a rainy day. But i told her that we will take the delivery on 17th as i dont want to wait even for a day. I want to lay my hands on the GP :p as soon as possible. I convinced her that the rains would stop before we can take delivery. But the weather was against me and it continued through out the day. We took a cab to go to kolkata as it was raining and because of that we were able to reach kolkata only around 1400 hrs. (I was supposed to take delivery before 1300 hrs :mad:). I saw my punto waiting to be decorated. I quickly went inside and completed all the formalities and the SP handed over the documents. Meanwhile my GP 90 went for a final wash and it came out with a ribbon. I was happy that they kept it simple as i liked it that way. But my wife was not happy because she wanted it to be grand. Afterwards we went down had phots session (from dealers side and of course in the rain) and another SP was designated to explain the functionalities of the car. My wife climbed inside along with my son and when i closed the door a transformer behind the car bursted :eek:. My wife thought that they are firing crackers for the delivery :D. I m not superstitious and i didn't care much about that and went inside and listened to the demo carefully and cleared all my doubts. When asked the SP to activated the rear washer, he was fumbling with the right hand stalk (actually he does not know how to activate the washer :D). Later he called my original SP and he too could not activate it. Finally they said there is no washer at the rear with GP 90 HP :shocked. I remembered that washer wiper at the rear from the specifications so i went outside to look at the washer jet. But since i did not know the location and also i was getting late i thought i will figure it myself and thanked the guys. I had brought a small gift to the SP and we bid off from the showroom. The rain by now stopped a bit and i was happy that i m going to have a pleasant ride. After filling diesel in my car i started my journey back home. I was driving very cautiously since i was getting adjusted with my new GP.

<m:smallfrac m:val="off"><m:dispdef><m:lmargin m:val="0"><m:rmargin m:val="0"><m:defjc m:val="centerGroup"></m:defjc></m:rmargin></m:lmargin></m:dispdef></m:smallfrac>
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    continued........

CLIMAX

Well if there is a story there should be a climax otherwise it would not be interesting and mine had too. Slowly as i got adjusted with the ride my confidence build up and i became a bit casual. Also the rain sarted again. Once leaving NH 6, towards haldia, the road gets worse as construction of highway is under progress. I was cruising only around 60-70 kmph and my destination was only 45 kms away. It rains became heavy and suddenly there was "THUD" sound and my car tilted towards the right. It was a pot hole, but a bigger one. Immediately i checked for the Wheel alignment and i felt that it was ok as the car did not pull to any side. But the road noise had increased a bit. Still i did not feel any change in the ride quality so i continued at 50 kmph also it was raining. But inside me i felt something was not right. So i pulled over and went out to confirm that everything was all right. I immediately looked at the front right wheel as it was the one which faced the impact. I was to see the tyre flat. I should have been more attentive . I went insid and sat for a minute and thought of calling the RSA. But decided to call the SP to ask his opinion. So i called him and he said that he dont know whether the RSA is available at that location and asked me about the WA. I told him that only the tyre is flat and all other things are ok. So he adviced me to change the spare tyre and reach home and show it to a mechanic the next day. So, i changed the spare tyre with the help of some shop owner and continued the journey. Later my wife said i became very serious after that incident till i reached home. (may be i was over attentive ).

The next day i took the car to a local mechanic and asked to check the WA and he said that everything was ok. Then i asked to check the tyre and after inflating he found that there was a sidewall cut. He said that they cannot repair sidewall cuts and asked me to go to a tyre shop nearby. I went there and told the tyre shop owner to check the tyre. He too said that there was a sidewall cut and told that he will try to seal it with the tyre puncture kit but gave no assurance that it will get repaired. I was so desperate and asked him to do whatever he wants. After trying he said that it could not be repaired but in emergecny cases i can use it as a spare tyre. Since, the spare wheel was not an alloy one, i asked him to change the spare tyre to the alloy wheel and vice versa. He did that and now i dont have a backup tyre. Happy puntoing since then......

Here are the feast for your eyes:
    2zp7420.jpg
    30vesg3.jpg
    2ir7kb4.jpg
    2a7ylnr.jpg
    332ozux.jpg
    19qazc.jpg
    242e8sx.jpg

The last one is my favourite till now.......looks like a lion :D
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am not able see photos :-(

Congratulation again :). Nice to read your 90HP Tale
  10. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    Congrats mate on your ride..
    Drive safe and have a great time with your Italian beauty... :)