1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A tale of 2 Lineas in the Wilderness

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nkrishnap, Feb 19, 2013.

1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    It was quite some time I did a trip to the wilderness. With lots of haggling, one 2D - 1N trip was approved. With a bit of research and pondering, the place was decided.

It would be in the wilderness of Thirunelly. Jungle Retreat Wayanad was chosen as the place to stay. Click on the link to know more about this place.

With Vishwaroopam movie’s ban lifted, the movie was in the ‘to do’ list. Decided to get rid of this from the pending list and booked a couple of tickets for myself and wifey for Friday night 9.30 pm show in Mantri Square.

Day 1 – 9th February 2013

After the movie, drove off to my friend’s place, with an hour of chit chat we started the trip at 2.30 am. The next point where we regroup was PES College at 3 am. My close pal Goutham was already waiting near PES College. After a quick regroup, it was time to hit the Bangalore – Mysore sector.

From here on, it was cruising on the Bangalore – Mysore 4 lane road, for once it was enjoyable with sparse traffic. However, the humps which come up overnight did surprise us a couple of times. We reached Hunsur at 6 am and stopped over at Caffe Coffee for a coffee break.

On the way to Nagarahole

_MG_4667 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4669 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4678 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4680 (Copy).jpg

IMG_3482 (Copy).jpg

IMG_3504 (Copy).jpg

Drove through Nagarahole National Park with the hope of spotting a few animals. We did spot a few deer, a crescent serpent eagle. No tuskers or cats.

IMG_3522 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4683 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4686 (Copy).jpg

We cross the national park and headed towards the Irupu Falls but not before a breakfast break at Kutta.

IMG_0210 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0216 (Copy).jpg

IMG-20130211-WA0011 (Copy).jpg

IMG-20130211-WA0013 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0197 (Copy).jpg

IMG_3547 (Copy).jpg

A quick visit to the falls and we were on the way to check in to the cottages in Thirunelly.

Our Cottage

IMG-20130211-WA0001 (Copy).jpg

View from the Cottage

IMG_0252 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0267 (Copy).jpg

We headed for Nagarahole safari. It’s the same Canter safari. With the loads of clatter and rally type driving, we salvaged spotting whatever possible. The rain added to the misery too.

_MG_4692 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4706 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4708 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4719 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4732 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4738 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0291 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0322 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0418 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0561 (Copy).jpg

We came back to the cottage in the rain. On the way back witnessed a Ford Ikon which had flung off the bridge about an hour back. Luckily the people in the car escaped with minor injuries.

As we were settling down to sip tea, A tusker lazily got in to the farm. Myself and Goutham immediately rushed to the watch tower to get closer view of the big tusker. He gave us company for about an hour before we made our way back to the cottage. It was such a thrill experience having the tusker a few feet away and we wait in the darkness. This has its own share of its risks though, if the tusker decides to take down the watch tower, it can do at its will even with the electric fencing.

The tuskers returned a bit later and stay there for a couple of hours before making merry of the bamboo trees/flowers for the rest of the night. We did hear a couple of alarm calls, but nothing turned up in the farm though.

To be contd....
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    11 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Brilliant start Krishna. Rated your thread 5 stars.

I am just recollecting my visit to Wayanad in July last year. I too took the Nagarhole National Park route and stayed quite close to Thirunelly (Not Jungle Retreat though). Driving through the Thirunelly forests during early in the morning is really magical.

Keep it coming.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice pictures and details of your trip.
    Please continue.
  4. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Day 2 – 10th February 2013

We had planned for the Tholpetty safari for the morning. Hopped on the car and went ahead for the Tholpetty Safari. Did not spot anything other than a lone elephant, few deer and langurs.

Early morning views on the way to Safari

_MG_4851 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4854 (Copy).jpg

Spotting from the safari

_MG_4863 (Copy).jpg

_MG_4873 (Copy).jpg

IMG_0176 (Copy).jpg

Morning views from the Cottage

IMG_0577 (Copy).JPG

Lineas enjoying the wilderness

IMG-20130211-WA0005 (Copy).jpg

Returning from the Safari, yours truly driving the jeep.

IMG-20130211-WA0008.jpg

Drove back via Mananthavady route towards Bangalore.

Spotted this mom and calf just after they crossed the road.

IMG_0644.jpg

Somewhere between Sultanbathery and Gundlupet.

IMG-20130211-WA0009 (Copy).jpg

We stopped near Gundlupet and loaded the boot with vegetables and a
    coffee stop at the cafe coffee day in Gundlupet.

IMG-20130211-WA0006 (Copy).jpg

Mysore Palace from a different perspective.

IMG_3650 (Copy).jpg

Final stop over enroute.

IMG-20130211-WA0003.jpg

Finally the Tusker who gave us company the previous night.

_MG_4803 (Copy).jpg

PS: A big shout out to Goutham to helping me take good photos and editing them. Thank you Goutham.
    7 people like this.
  5. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you Ramjn. Wayanad is a good place to visit. Though I like the remote places than the places around Kalpetta frequently visited by people. Driving through the South Indian forests during early morning is really magical as the forest is quite active at this time of the day.

Thanks Ravi.
  6. Those were wonderful fotos. Looks like you had a beautiful trip. really nice photography, post more if you have more.

Slightly OT : Jungle Retreat is a wonderful place. In my last visit to Wayanad, I should have stayed there but after telling the stories about the wild animals coming too close to the property, my parents and wife were 200 % against staying there since we were taking our 1.5 year old son along with us. I booked and cancelled the rooms twice on different days trying to convince my family but finally decided not to go there and stayed at pepper green. I have plans to visit Jungle retreat again with my wife leaving my son to my parents in aug-sep-oct.
  7. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Super writeup Krishna and very well complimented by the beautiful pictures.

Is it a good time to visit Wayanad this time of the year?
  8. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Firstly thank you.

I would say not the best time to visit Wayanad. Its going to be hot and humid there. The best time to visit is between Mid September to December. Avoid weekends if you need a peaceful get away.
    1 person likes this.
  9. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    In one of the threads you say..did not spot anything except a tusker,deer & langur...:) :)

Is it not enough...

Spotting a cat is one rare case...

I remember one of colleague from US flew down to Bangalore to join us for a Nagarahole trip....I had given him only 4 days notice...

He opted a business class ticket worth Rs 2 lakhs...and came down just to see an elephant ..:)

He had two things,,one the Tiger & other an elephant...but he did see only an elephant..and he was jumping with joy!!

Compared to him we are lucky :)
  10. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Yeah. While driving through Nagarahole did not spot much. Why I say this is because, each time I have driven through this road, either a tusker or a herd of elephants is spotted on the road itself. In that sense we were unlucky this time.

But with the visit to the forest to spot anything you need that special luck.