1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Successful migration from 1.2 Emotion Punto to 90HP Diesel Punto Abarth.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by kedarbendre, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    What is disc pad, is it brake pad?
    I think 30K is ok, seeing other who got it changed at 20-25K km.

Mine, after 30K, also seems needs change of pads. Disc has not been changed it yet, but next service, at ~45K km, this will be changed.
  2. sungoa2010

We should compare the brake pad of equally heavy vehicles. The breaking power should be huge for heavy vehicles compared to light vehicles. It is quite normal to change at 30-40 kms. Apart from that driving habit also matters. Once can reduce at least 30% of braking frequency if properly use clutch and gears. The difference will be more visible in heavy vehicles. I am sure you might have used the vehicle in reasonably good speeds which is the case with many of us.
  3. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai

my friend had to changed 90 hp brake pads at 8500 kms only
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I was talking to one of my friend and he has Alto K10 completed 62000kms on odo and he still didnt change the break pads. Agreed K10 is light weight but 62000kms is too much to break pads.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  5. sungoa2010

He is a perfect customer for maruti. ;)
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

My original front brake pads in the Palio failed when the car had done 13 K Kms and was replaced. The replacement pads were good for the next 64 K kms, till I sold the car in August. The rear brake pads were never changed.

Life of the brake pads depend on two major factors - quality of the product and driving style.

7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    FIAT Grande Punto 90HP 30,000 kms Ownership Review

Hi Friends I am really excited to write this long term ownership review of FIAT Grande Punto 90HP.

The review is split into
    1) Shortlisting of car
    2) Modifications & Maintenance

Shortlisting of car:

The hunt started in Jan 2011 and I was looking for used FIAT Linea diesel. I checked few Linea’s in used car market however I didn’t get the car as my requirements. Then I started checking new cars in a price bracket of Rs. 7-8 lakhs on road. This story is from Jan-March 2011.

FIAT Grande Punto 90HP
    FIAT Linea Active
    Ford Classic
    Ford Figo.
    Mahindra Renault Logan.
    Mahindra Bolero CRDe Storm.

Ford Classic (Ford Fiesta)

Ford Classic had soft corner in my mind because of its design and ride & handling. Classic CLXI (earlier it was Fiesta) was in my budget however basic safety features were missing in this variant and topend variant was out of my budget so cancelled this car.

No nonsense styling
    Ride & Handling
    Good Driving position

Fear of aftersales of FORD
    Lot of engine noise inside the car.
    Rear seat comfort.

Ford Figo:

There is nothing to write about this car IMO. I test drive Figo and simply rejected. I didn’t like the space distribution of Figo. I hated shoulder room in front seats. It had less features compared to other cars in its segment.

Mahindra Verito (Mahindra Renault Logan)

I liked this car because of its rear seat comfort and butter smooth, fuel efficient engine. The car (top end variant) was in my budget however passenger airbag was missing in topend variant so I rejected this Verito. Another reason to reject Verito was the design of this car. I simply didn’t like the way it looks.

Butter smooth & fuel efficient engine.
    Best space distribution in segment
    Value for money package

Taxi image
    Lack of features
    Inconvenient placement of switches.
    Less powerful dCi motor.

Mahindra Bolero CRDe Storm

The rigid looks of Bolero attracted me towards Bolero. CRDe storm was very responsive engine and it was less noisy as compared to its cousin DI.
    Bolero rejected due to lack of features, comfort level was nowhere in Bolero.

FIAT Grande Punto 90HP

As I was a owner of FIAT Grande Punto 1.2 Emotion earlier FIAT was in my mind and 90HP Punto was topping on a cake with VGT Multijet engine.
    Punto 90HP was exactly in my budget with all required features. I was comparing all above cars with Punto 90HP and no other came close to Punto in all aspects. Everything was finalized and Punto 90HP was the car for me.

FIAT Linea Active

As I was in FIAT showroom I was thinking to check price of FIAT Linea Active diesel variant. It was just 30k extra on Punto 90HP after discount. Lack of safety features and other basic features was the reason to reject this car or you can say Punto was already finalized by my mind.

Ownership Review

After lots of research on internet, comparing so many cars I finalized FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. I was confused in color of Punto. I was confused in Gray & white color of Punto, however I finalized white color as per family members feedback and I also liked white color as I wanted to make it ABARTH Punto in future.
    I got delivery of my car on 28th July 2011 and I was the happiest man in the world.
    I was one of the lucky FIAT customer who won diesel coupon of worth Rs. 26,000 and this was a Shub Shakun of Punto’s ownership.

First Servicing @ 5000kms

It was just routine checkup to check all the lubricants level. In this servicing engine coolant top-up was required.
    Total bill for this service was Rs. 500.
    Servicing completed within 2 hours at Pandit Automobiles, Tilak Road, Pune. It was satisfactory experience at Pandit Auto.

Second Servicing @ 15000km

Second free was completed within a day at Pandit Auto, Tilak Road, Pune and I received my car back at 4:00 PM. It was another good experience from Pandit & FIAT.
    Total bill for second free service @ 15000kms was near about Rs. 4500.

Third Servicing @ 30000km

In the meantime from 15000km to 30000km, I changed engine oil at 22000kms on odo. Thanks to ITALIA-LINEA (Amit) for recommending me this oil change. We changed engine oil together for his Linea and my Punto. We shifted to Mobile 1 Delvac 5w-40 fully synthetic engine oil.
    3rd free servicing was completed at FIAT first & exclusive service at Pune as I didn’t get appointment as per my convenience at Pandit Auto, Tilak Road.
    There were no major issues in my Punto so the total bill was around Rs. 8500 which includes changing brake pads.
    Rs. 8500 was split into Rs. 5000 regular servicing and lubricants change @ Rs. 5000 and Rs. 3250 for front break pads and its labor changes. (Rs. 3100 break pads & Rs. 150 labor charges)
    Till 30000km ownership of my Punto the total maintenance cost is. There are some parts changed like rear wiper, front left wheel arch.

[table="width: 500, class: grid"]

First Servicing @ 5000km
    Rs. 500

Second Servicing @ 15000km
    Rs. 4500

Third Servicing @ 30000km
    Rs. 8500

Rear wiper & Front wheel arch
    Rs 690 + Rs 350

Rs. 14540

And who says FIAT is expensive to maintain? :boxer Near about Rs. 15000 for 30000km mileage and 20 months ownership of FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. Next service is due on 45000km on odo and till the time there won’t be any major work is pending for my car.
    I hope till 45000km on odo the maintenance cost would be Rs. 15000 only. I am impressed by maintenance cost of my car as I read somewhere that first service of Polo @ 15000km on odo cost is Rs. 12000.
    Modifications to my Punto
    Now its no more FIAT Punto but for me its Abarth Grande Punto. :car Below is the list of modification of my car

1. Projector head lamps with red angel eye. :devil
    2. Abarth chrome gear knob. ::T
    3. Dual chrome silence tip
    4. Abarth decals on side profile.
    5. Mesh Grill (Black)
    6. Abarth logos front & Rear
    7. Black fog lamp holder
    8. Abarth Badge above right side indicator
    9. Back roof (used vinyl)
    10. Abarth Puddle light (Front Doors) :up
    11. Rear aftermarket Spoiler
    12. Abarth badges on C Piller
    13. Sporty metal pedals
    14. Abarth Pressure valve caps
    15. White color OEM Alloys
    16. Punto EVO badge
    17. Punto’s P letter on L of dashboard
    18. Turbo Badge (Below 90HP Badge) :p
    19. Ground Zero Iridium series subwoofer :wow
    20. JVC 2 ch/mono Amp
    21. Red Brake calipers and Red ORVMs ::O

Pending modifications are

1. Seat covers with Abarth Badges on headrests
    2. Ground Zero Component speakers in front doors with dampening.
    3. Absolute Edition Mudflaps

With powerful diesel engine and affordable maintenance cost FIAT Grande Punto is ideal car to own.

Always fasten your seat belts and Drive safely. :helmet

Pictures coming soon. A photoshoot is scheduled on this weekend.
    5 people like this.
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow! Good detailed review. Awaiting for the weekend photoshoot pics of your beauty and the beast :clap
    1 person likes this.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Thanks punto_emotion. I will upload some great photos of my car. :)
  10. punto-er

punto-er Amatore

Kedarbhai, from abarth wheels, to TJet 16-inchers, to white Punto Wheels, quite a journey :)

Show us your baby please. Or are you too busy catching up with her after a long stay abroad?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.