1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Successful migration from 1.2 Emotion Punto to 90HP Diesel Punto Abarth.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by kedarbendre, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

glossy tint..
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    No for glossy on my car.

Headlights bezel, roof, b pillers, fog lamp holders, and upcoming matt finished front grill..see everything is matt finished in my car si I dont want glossy tint on taillights.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Hi Kedar,

It is tough to achieve a matt finish on the tail lamps as far as i know.

Use dedicated spray cans from NHT Nightshade for smoking the lamps. They do not compromise on the visibility. A friend on mine did so to his ex-car.

The car cover looks great but seems like it does not factor in for the radio antenna. :)
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Driver can you please let me know about the spray cans from NHT nightshade.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Keder, please refer below:

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/niteshades/

Friend purchased thru ebay.

Sand the surface with 1000 emery, spray n give a clear coat and you are done.

Btw, its VHT n not NHT as i mentioned earlier.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Driv3r thanks for the information.

I bought VHT Rear light lense paint from EBay UK. Here is the link.

can you please let me know more about sanding rear lights using 1000 emery. Where do I get this? And after sanding do I just need to spray the paint?
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  7. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Chennai
    What's suggested by DRIV3R is the process i followed to smoke the lamps on my earlier car.
    To elaborate a bit more on the process,

1. Get the tail lamps removed from the car after disconnecting the bulb terminals and removing the bulbs.
    (Not sure how its done on the Punto! Haven't done this on my Punto yet)
    2. Once the tail lamp is out, sand the surface with a very fine grade (1000 or 2000 grade) emery paper
    (I skipped this step due to worries of the possibilities me messing up with the glass)
    3. Clean the glass surface with a liquid soap or detergent to remove any stains or dirt. I used VIM liquid for this
    4. Mask the bulb openings and other areas where you don't need the paint with a masking tape
    5. Apply 3 coats of VHT Nightshades that you have purchased. Allow at least 15 minutes between each coat.
    Make sure you hold the can at least 10cm off the surface and spray evenly across the whole area. (I used up only half the bottle for 3 coats)
    Getting it too close to the surface can cause the spray to be concentrated and the paint to drip (happened for me!)
    6. Once all 3 coats are applied and dried, get a coat of Clear coat done to give the surface some gloss and to protect the shine.
    This should be possible to get done from a neighborhood paintshop. (To be honest, i skipped this too! kept postponing weekend after weekend till i sold the car an year later)
    7. Then get the lamps assembled back on the car and connect the bulbs and its terminals.
    8. A final rubbing with a regular car wax will give you the gloss!

The lamps were perfect in finish till i sold the car an year after the smoking.
    I used FormulaOne Scratch Out compound to rub the tail lamp lenses every alternate weekend. That kept the shine up and did the job of the clear coat

Attachment 1: Tail lamp after application of 2 coats of VHT
    Attachment 2: Lamp fitted back on the car giving an idea of the blinker's visibility in day

Smoked lamps look great! Especially when you are considering black wheels and black grille.
    It'll make your car really stand out!
    Happy smoking! :p

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    4 people like this.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hay thank you so much for the step by step procedure.I will follow this procedure and mine wont be a DIY. I will be going to my dealer to get this done.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hello guys I booked an appointment for 3rd free servicing at FIAT exclusive service center on Monday. Does anyone know the price of front break pads, absolute edition mud flaps.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Brake pad set [part number 0077362180] cost Rs 2367.54 + taxes as on 19 Oct 2011.
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.