1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Stone kissed the bumper of my GP. need suggestions

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by motor spirit, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Friends,

My punto Got hit by a stone on the front bumper right side bottom. I have attached the picture for your reference

Visited concorde motors today & spoke to the body shop manager,
    He gave me two options

1) Repairing can be done . cant assure 100% perfection. may be 75% . but will cost approx Rs 2500 as it has to be painted & workmanship

2) new bumper costing approx Rs 6000 . 50% Insurance can be claimed. so expence from my pocket would be around Rs 3000 ( 6000 minus 50% claim) . However I lose the non claim bonus of insurance ( approx Rs 2000 . iNsurance due after 6 months)
    with this i get a shining new flawless bumper

now the confusion is should i opt for option 1 and save Rs 2500 or go with option 2. request your suggestions please

2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

In my humble opinon, you can get it repaired more than 75% and spend less than Rs.2500 by getting it done from an experienced guy in the motor market or some similar place other than the dealer.

These bumpers are designed so, that they can be brought back to their original shape after a light impact. And in all probability , this can be brought back to its original shape without much fuss.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

It looks repairable to me.

But the quote of 6000 surprises me and you don't have to bear the 50% of whole cost involved. You would have to pay 50% of the bumper's cost because it's plastic part. For rest of the stuff you should be able to claim the full amount to a extent (Including labor). I heard the bumper is 2,500 - So you might end up paying 2000 Rs, including the claim charges.

Do check if you can get it repaired at any other reputed Body shop in Bangalore instead of the ASS, They might be able to repair and paint it at a cheaper cost. I've heard Sai Colorium is good. This would be a better bet than whole replacement because you can repair it at 2~2.5 K and save on NCB next time.

Next time you buy the insurance get the 0% depreciation policy, You can avail always 100% on your claims by just paying the excess + tax.
  4. go to another body shop. They will remove the bumper, heat it and bringing it back to shape..also the work is mostly done from the inside, so painting might not be needed. For painting get the com paint spray and it would be more than enough

5. Thanks Gurjnder , teki, Sri for your opinions. Will try that . If you see the profile of a GP bumper. we see a sharp profiled lip . Was very much concerned if the original sharp bumper lip can come back to that original profile .or even after repair i will see some uneven surfaces with paint mismatches, as its obvious that the best motor repair persons workmanship will not match with a perfect injection moulding process of the original bumper

Also, Sri as mentioned , what exactly is this 0% depriciation policy & how it works
  6. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    Can be easily brought back in shape ( by correcting with a rubber/nylon mallet ) from back side , will not require any touch up , that will be close to 75% ,
    if further correction is required heat application may be required , ask the fellow to apply minimal heat from back side so as to not burn the paint.

7. teky

teky Esperto

You may want to read this thread Tata AIG
  8. Hi
    I had a bigger dent on my linea 1 week back in the rear bumper while reversing it...had no time so couldnt post abt it earlier
    I rushed to the dealer immediately after that to get it fixed..
    But to my surprise when i got down at the dealers place the dent was gone leaving behind a minor scratch...minor enough to be buffed up with polish
    The service manager told me that the dent got self corrected when it was exposed to sun/heat (it was quite hot that day though probably near 40 degrees)
    u could also try the same..
    there is absolutely no need 4 a change of bumper
  9. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Visit a local road side mechanic, he would do for less than 2K and bring it to the original shape. It is the heat/temperature they use to remove the dent on the plastics
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  10. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

If you repair the bumper outside the workshop; in a local garage.. And later on if you have a bigger damage in the front bumper and apply for a claim.. chances are the surveyor may refuse the claim stating the bumper was damaged before the bigger damage. leaving you to cover the 100% repair expenses. (has happened with me once - a rare case)

as long as the bumper is restored to a factory finish (looks undamaged to the eye) there should be no future claim problems if repairing at a local garage...