1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A soon to be owner of punto emotion 1.3 MJD TW......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jagannath, May 6, 2012.

1. Dear all.
    i have learnt a lot from browsing thru the forum so far. I have paid the advance for 1.3 mjd TW the day before. I think it will take about a weeks time to get delivered, meanwhile the loan is also getting processed. So guys no pics till I get my hands on the car.

How did I land up hear? Well, I am an owner of m-800 for last 8 yrs. didn't think I will replace it. Somehow I related new car with selling the old now. However, the old one now started giving problems, hence decided to to give it a rest. Planning to retain the old one though as a second car.

I did research for about one year on and off. Seriously for last three months. Was serious about jazz for a long time. However, as the fuel prices started shooting up so was my heart rate every time I fill fuel. For last eight years never bothered to check the mileage of 800 and now it became important for me. Hence ditched jazz and settled for a choice between various diesels. Hatch or sedan was next big Q. Once again dzire answered to both calls. Almost paid advance for dzire. And was about to take the loan, infact had a meeting planned with the banker too. I visited a friend of mine that evening and was telling him about the plan to buy a car...also told him of my choice....he told me to forget and took me outside to show the at he bought one month back..a FIAT PUNTO 1.3 MJD ACTIVE. I wasnt sure ...but still agreed to take a TD.

Well, that TD changed everything....to my surprise I also saw the magics eats which appealed so much to me of jazz are in emotion too! Blue and me, the build, the features etc were good. I was impressed. However, the availability of spares and service is what every one warning me about. Even the sales person accepted this fact.

The next day I also TD ed Renault Pulse. A good car. But then something was missing in it. For example I couldn't understand as to why passenger air bags are optional? Is it like you survive but it's ok if your passenger dies? Boot space, non availability of EBS etc were also worrisome. However, there was greater mileage and lesser turning radius which were in positives. The thing which totally went against it was that it's an unproven car. No one has done 10k in it...and I wasn't ready to take such a risk.

So here I am...in the fiat stable....hopefully the ride will be smooth.

Some questions folks, which I hope you will answer...

1. Being a 800 driver for last 8yrs, how do I prepare to ride punto? What all should I do? Idid the TD on an open stretch, not on the bumper to bumper traffic? Howdo I also get used to the larger body of the car and not end up like some of our friends with scratched cars?

2. In last 8 yrs I clocked about 34500 Kms on my car. Well the reasons were 800 isn't exactly a car for long drives, my job kept me away for most of the time and my wife doesn't drive, so the car is idle in my absence. So here is the question, am I doing the right thing by buying a diesel car? Somehow I hate
    paying double for the cost of fuel, I know all the math about the higher cost actually offsets that difference in cost of fuel. Also now i am in a position to drive for longer durations, hence the temptation.

I know you may think all these questions too late as I have already booked the car. But still would like to know.

Any other lessons learnt, advice, suggestions etc for a would be owner of 1.3 emotion mjd would be greatly welcome.

Looking forward for hearing from you guys.

Regards

Jags
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First of congratulations for booking Punto 1.3 emotion mjd.

Once you decided diesel, there are very few good choices in Hatch (others are equally good though).

Now to your questions -
    I had driven Alto for few hundred kilometers and Punto was never an issue to drive. So just chill, it will be easy transition.

Selecting Diesel is a good move, as be sure you would do some really long drive soon, once you take out your Punto to highway once.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats Jags on taking the right decission.
    You will enjoy driving the punto in traffic as it easily slides in 2nd gear.
    mine is a Petrol and it wakes up in half self even after a standstill of 45 days....
    1 person likes this.
  4. Punto Maniac

Punto Maniac Amatore

TN07
    Jags: 1st question: Punto was my first car( read love) learnt driving in an 800/Logan/Bolero...none of the sessions lasted for anything more than 15 mins at the max. Till date, touch wood, i've survived with minor scratches, which can be easily brought back to form.
    2nd Question: You will never regret going in for a diesel.

Good choice and welcome to the elite club.
  5. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Congratulations!! Drive Safe and welcome to the Fiat family.
  6. Thanks a lot everyone. The car will be delivered in the first week of June. I have one question. I want to install a rear sensor For when I reverse the car. Now in your opinion is this required? And which one should I buy? How much will it cost which model should I buy? A tv display one or digital one?
  7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Congrats and you made a good choice both with Fiat and the diesel.
    Rear parking sensors are cheaper than the camera of course but why do you need them when you have been driving for 8 years?
  8. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have installed RD brand rear parking sensors for Rs1700 u can go for that...it has LED display (not mirror)indicating distance and voice alarm also....i am satisfied with its performance.....dont waste money on other expensive brands...if you really want to spend money then go for reverse camera......

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

I have installed RD brand rear parking sensors for Rs1700 u can go for that...it has LED display (not mirror)indicating distance and voice alarm also....i am satisfied with its performance.....dont waste money on other expensive brands...if you really want to spend money then go for reverse camera......
  9. @relativity. My wife asked me the same question !!:) lol. Well the answer is the the car iwasmainly driving was a M800. One of the things I noticed when I TDed punto was that I cannot see much behind when I reverse. Hence the thought of sensors to avoid scratches.
    @prashant. Thanks for the input I too am not much keen to spend too much money on this, so will go with ur suggestion. Noticed that youtoohave 1.3 mjd emotion. I am buying the same Any further advice on accessories what else to go for in your experience?
  10. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I bought the following for my car:
    1. seat covers Autoform UCheer for Rs 6500
    2. Arm Rest for Rs 1050
    3. Have ordered Pedal set
    4. Sun film
    5. Parking Sensors
    6. Ed hardy Seat belt cusion pads
    planning to buy neck rest

I think u can go for arm rest and seat covers......rest it up to you how much u want to spend on accessories.....
    Dont take light coloured floor mats from fiat ask for dark colour.it is very difficult to maintain them...especially during monsoon.....