1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Serene Trip to West Coast: Blr -> Jog Falls -> Murudeshwar -> Gokarna

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by the_crusader, Oct 18, 2013.

1. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Bangalore -> Jog Falls -> Murudeshwar stretch

Although we didn't planned this trip properly as the idea struck 2-3 days earlier, the aim was not to rush in and try to cover too many places but to visit few places and most importantly relax on the beach side. Also as it was planned like this, all the good hotels/resorts seems to be full due to holidays. Fortunately we got occupancy in one of the descent hotels in Murudeshwara "RNS Highway Hotel" which we realized after reaching there.
    Here is the route that we followed:
    BLR -Jog_Falls.jpg
    My car's petrol was little less than full which I filled two days ago from Shell petrol bunk, Old Madras Road and checked air pressure on last evening before the start of the trip. On 12th morning, we started around 6:00 AM from my flat and unfortunately got stuck in a severe JAM in outer ring road while approaching Tumkur Road even at those early hours. It took around 1.5 hrs for us to hit Tumkur Road from there. We crossed Nelamangala and had breakfast at one of the highway hotels. After breakfast we started around 8:30 AM and took NH-206 route as per the map above. Although it was single road with traffic flowing both the sides without any concrete divider, the road condition were pretty good except a few small stretches.
    2013-10-12-357.jpg
    A railway crossing near Tarikere
    2013-10-12-361.jpg
    We reached Jog Falls around 1:45 PM and greeted with a wide bridge over Sharavati river.
    2013-10-12-369.jpg
    My younger brother, wife and my mom on the bridge.
    P1050297.JPG

Although I am not a good photographer we had few photo and video shoots with P&S (Point & Shoot) SmartPhones and DigiCam.
    We headed towards Jog Falls which was around 1.5 kms from there.
    Took entry ticket of Rs. 30 at the entry gate and parked the car at the parking area.
    When we reach there we were able to see beautiful Jog falls with formation of rainbow colors due to sunlight.
    P1050304.JPG P1050305.JPG

That's me and my better half in front of Jog Falls
    P1050309.JPG

Name of the falls from left to right: Raja, Roarer, Rocket and Rani
    DSC_1740.jpg

We had lunch at not so good restaurant out there and started our journey towards Murudeshwar following this route below:
    Jog_Falls--Murudeshwar.jpg
    It started raining cats and dogs throughout the Ghat section. Suddenly we realized that my Linea is showing petrol at last bar and Low petrol warning started showing in the MID. Although I knew that the car can go another 70-80 kms, still we were searching for a petrol bunk which we didn't find until we reach Honavar. My linea had a full tank (around 41 lts) there and we continued our onwards journey till Murudeshwar. We reached RNS Highway Hotel at around 6:45 PM after covering around 482 kms. By the time we checked-in there, it was around 7:00 PM. Although the room was descent there, the restaurant workers were very sluggish. It took them around 1 hr to get our regular order on table and I could see that it was the case with every other table even though the people dining there was quite less. After dinner followed by a small stroll in front of Hotel's garden, we retired for the day.

More on the way ....... :)
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Murudeshwar -> Gokarna

Initially the plan was to visit Murudeshwar temple, Murudeshwar beach and Netrani Island in Murudeshwar on 13th Oct. But since morning it started raining heavily there. We planned earlier to visit temple and then to have breakfast, but somehow rain didn't had any plans to stop soon. Before the start of the journey we checked the weather conditions including the cyclone effect in west coast. Weather report showed everything perfect there and thats the reason we planned this trip. When I checked weather conditions on 13th morning, the whole scene was different. It was showing heavy rains with thunderstorm in Murudeshwar whereas Gokarna seemed to perfectly clear. So we changed our plans and thought of visiting Gokarna first and planned to cover Murudeshwar on 14th. Around 9:00 AM at Hotel's restaurant, we ordered Idli and Dosa in breakfast which took around 45 minutes to reach on table. We finished Breakfast around 10:00 AM and started for Gokarna which is around 76 kms from our Hotel at Murudeshwar.
    Here is the route that we took:-
    Murudeshwar-Gokarna.jpg

NH 17 is a beautiful route with lot of greenery around. Although it is a single road again with traffic flowing through both the sides, the road conditions were really great. It is a winding road where all the fiat fans will definitely love to try their hands-on especially when you have vehicles with great handling character likes Linea and Punto. I would say Driving is like a Meditation there. There were lot of places in between where we thought of getting down and take some pictures, but somehow we could not stop due to the narrow lanes and traffic there.

This is a pic of Sharavati backwaters near Honavar which my wife took in running vehicle from the bridge.
    2013-10-13-399.jpg
    We reached Bhadrakali temple at Gokarna around 11:15 AM and had dharshan there.
    From there we started around 11:30 AM for Mahabaleshwar temple, which is one of the chief attractions in Gokarna. This is the place where Atma Linga was dropped by Lord Ganesha (in Brahmin avatar) when Ravana was carrying it to Lanka, and temple was built over it. If you are interested, You can read the whole story of Atma Linga and its connections with Murudeshwar and few other places here.
    We offered proper Pooja there and were offered to touch Atma Linga in the main temple. Males have to remove their tops (shirts/t-shirts/vests) before entering the temple.
    We had lunch in the form of free "Maha-prasad" which was offered by the temple trust. By the time we had our lunch, it was around 2:00 PM. We then headed towards Gokarna Beach and had a stroll on the beach. There were few Speed boats and water bikes available on the beach. For 4 of us they were asking INR 3200 to cover all the beaches of Gokarna which includes, Kudla beach, Om Beach, Half Moon beach etc. It was little expensive for us, so we didn't try that there and thought of vising them in my Car.
    We saw lot of small fishes (Chicklets) on the beach of Gokarna.
    DSC_1747.jpg
    From there we started for OM Beach. On the way we saw beautiful view of Kudla beach from a Hillock.
    P1050373.JPG
    Then we proceeded towards OM Beach which is the main beach of Gokarna.
    Around 3:15 PM we reached OM Beach. As the name suggest, this beach is of "OM" shape. Unfortunately I could not take the pictures of "OM" shape of this beach as I was busy doing Video shoots there. Few other pictures of this beach can be seen below:
    P1050393.JPG
    P1050394.JPG
    This was very clean and calm beach so we thought of getting into the water and enjoy the sea waves. We didn't realize that it was 5:30 PM by the time we get out of sea water.
    Took bath in one of changing rooms there and started back for Murudeshwar around 6:00 PM. By the time we reached Murudeshwar, it was around 7:45 PM. All of us were hungry and were longing for some sea food. So this time we went to RNS residency hotel near main temple of Murudeshwar but was disappointed by the fact that they dont serve Non-Veg as it is nearby to temple. They advised us to visit another hotel of the same chain "Naveen Beach Resort" which was around 1 kms from there. We had our dinner at Naveen Beach Resort. We found it to be over priced and the taste of the food to be average. Returned back to our Hotel from there and took a stroll in the Hotel's garden before retiring for the day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Very Nice travelogue. I am not able to see the attachments in #12, am I only facing this problem?
    1 person likes this.
  4. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Thanks dhaya76 for the appreciation. I saw this issue. When I posted this, all the pictures were coming up correctly in Post # 12, but later it seemed to be disappeared. It only comes now when you click over the attachment. I don't see any option in my screen to correct or edit it. So I have sent a message to Admins/Mods to help me correct it. Waiting for their response on it.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  5. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Murudeshwar Local Site Seeing

On 14[SUP]th[/SUP], we planned to spend all of our time locally in Murudeshwar. We started from Hotel around 8:00 AM for Murudeshwar temple. In another 10 mins, we were in temple’s car parking area. It was great to see that there was ample amount of parking spaces available inside temple campus even on Monday (Monday being Lord Shiva’s day). We started from temple near the Gopura (18 floors Tower) adjacent to the main temple.
    DSC_1798.jpg

Temple is quite huge and very neatly maintained. From there we took tickets (Rs. 10 per head) to go to top floor of Gopura and gathered near lift for our turn to come. It took around 54 seconds to reach top floor (18[SUP]th[/SUP]) from the ground floor. As soon as we reached there, we were greeted with the awesome view of Lord Shiva Statue (123 ft. high) and the beach city of Murudeshwar. We took some videos and pics from there before leaving Gopura.
    P1050444.JPG P1050445.JPG P1050446.JPG

Next in the list was the main temple of Murudeshwar. We visited the temple under the Shiva Statue and offered our prayers there. Just next to this temple was a cave, where the story of Atma Linga was depicted sculpturally in a beautiful way. Entry fee to this cave was again Rs. 10 per person. If you are interested, you can go through this Youtube video to see the details.

After visiting cave, we took a stroll across the temple premises to enjoy the beauty, cleanliness and calmness of temple. Next to the temple, there is a wave pool as well. I wondered, what the requirement of wave pool is, when there is real sea with real & calm waves just next to it.
    By this time it was around 11:45 AM. Since we didn’t had breakfast till then, we thought of having a brunch nearby. Just next to this temple, there is a beach restaurant which also belongs to Naveen properties. This is a two storied restaurant built over sea beach so you can have a splendid view of Arabian sea from here.
    DSC_1809.jpg

We spent lot of time in this breezy restaurant as it was too hot to go out. We had some snacks followed by tummy filling lunch. After relaxing there, we went out for local stroll. Since it was too hot outside, we decided to go back to Hotel and enjoy sea beach in the evening.
    At 4:15 PM, we started from Hotel, and in another 10 minutes we were there on the Murudeshwar Beach. Murudeshwar beach is one of the very few Drive-in beaches in India. We took some pics and videos of our Italian babe near the beach side.

DSC_1823.jpg DSC_1825.jpg DSC_1826.jpg

My mom was keen on Speed boat ride, so we took a ride over Arabian sea on speed boat (INR 100 per head which was much much cheaper than one in OM Beach).
    DSC_1870.jpg

My brother was interested in Speed water bike as well, so he went ahead and taken a ride in water bike. (INR 200 per person).
    DSC_1875.jpg

The weather became very pleasant by then and we thought of enjoying real sea waves. Me and my brother went inside sea water and enjoyed the waves thoroughly. I have not seen such calm sea in India yet. Sea is so calm and shallow near the beach that we went till around 500 mts inside sea but still the water level was till our waist. While enjoying there we didn’t realize the time till it became 6:00 PM and sun started setting in. This sun set was really cool to witness. By the time we came out of the sea, it became dark.
    DSC_1944.jpg

We went out and took shower in one of the changing rooms nearby. By the time we left beach it was around 7:00 PM and we were hungry. We thought of having early dinner nearby. I remember, one of my friends suggested me a restaurant out there which serves good sea food. So we went to this hotel cum restaurant, “Kawari’s Palm Grove”, which was around 1 km away from the beach on the way to our Hotel. It houses a Garden Restaurant with contains many small huts for family dining. Before the start of Murudeshwar trip, I had a chat with the owner of Palm’s Grove, Mr. Naveen Gonark, for accommodation but since only one room was available and the requirement was two, we didn’t go there. As soon as we reached there, Mr. Naveen greeted us very hospitably. He showed us all of his facilities and then guided us to one of the vacant huts and detailed the menu of his restaurant and sea food varieties. He is definitely one of most pleasant persons to meet there.
    We ordered some sea food as starters.
    DSC_1947.jpg DSC_1951.jpg

These sea foods were really-really delicious which we were having after a long time, so we ordered in plenty. Then we had some main course with Kulcha and Paratha’s followed by few lime soda drinks. At the end of the dinner, when we saw the bill, we were surprised to see that it is only 1300 Rs for so many food varieties all 4 of us had. This Dinner was the most tasty and VFM that we had in our whole Murudeshwar trip. Finally we bid adeau to Mr. Naveen and came back to Hotel with our overloaded tummies. :) We took a long stroll in Hotel’s garden before retiring for the day.
    2 people like this.
  6. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Excellent photos, now able to see all the photos shared in the previous one. The starters looks raw fish (first photo) :)....
  7. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Thanks for the appreciation. Ravi helped me out in correcting photoes in my previous post. Yea Naveen, owner of that restaurant, showed us those raw sea-foods before cooking to ensure us regarding its freshness.
  8. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Excellent, may be the owner wants to be more transparent to their customers. I don't know how many restaurants will be showing the raw foods before it gets cooked....
    1 person likes this.
  9. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Journey Back to Home: Murudeshwar -> Bangalore

On 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Morning, we packed up everything for trip back to home. We checked out of hotel at 6:00 AM when it was still dark outside. Here is the pic in front of Hotel at those early hours.
    2013-10-15-427.jpg

This time, I thought of exploring a new route which Google showed me as an first option. Murudeshwar -> Honavar -> Siddapur -> Soraba -> Harihar -> Chitradurga -> Tumkur -> Bangalore
    Murudeshwar - Bangalore.jpg

Till Honavar, it was the same route, and from there we entered into SH-144 for Siddapur. As soon as we entered this route, we were amazed to see the greenery and wild life around. Although the road was not of good quality, nature kept us occupied throughout with its serene beauty. We were able to spot few foxes and beautiful birds around this road. After around 10 kms, this State highway started becoming narrower and after some time we entered into a badly broken road followed with a muddy stretch full of pebbles.
    We took this pic from car while we were on that stretch and the car was shaking frequently. Although the picture is not very clear, but it should be good enough to give an idea of the road.
    2013-10-15-436.jpg

After couple of kms, we reached at a point where there was no further road for us to drive. We could see a completely broken pathway and a river was flowing next to it with no further way to proceed. We saw a village tile house nearby and enquired there about this stretch. The resident of that house said that there used to be a road earlier till Siddapur but that was closed/broken long back as govt. didn’t maintained it and suggested us to go back and follow the regular route. By this time we already covered around 16 kms in this stretch. Here is the map of this closed stretch.
    Bad_stretch_SH144.jpg

I was surprised that Google suggested this route as an first option. I intimated Google about this closed route and have sent a route correction request to them. Hopefully they will correct it soon.
    From there we started our journey back to Honavar to take the regular route. Some pics on this stretch.
    2013-10-15-439.jpg 2013-10-15-444.jpg

We reached Honavar around 8:30 AM. I topped up Petrol there and took this route back to Bangalore.
    Murudeshwar - BLR_Via_NH206.jpg

On the way back we visited Jog Falls again as it is just 1.8 kms from main Highway. It started raining heavily near Shimoga and continued till we reach Arsikere. We reached Bangalore around 5:30 PM and this is when our Journey to serene west coast concluded.

Overall expenses of this trip:

Expense ItemsAmount in INR
    Petrol7400
    Hotel - 3 Nights7200
    Food and Beverages5175
    Speed Boating and water bike600
    Parking, toll and entrée fee196
    Total20571
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013