1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A scary experience with my MJD

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by RollingIce, Nov 25, 2010.

1. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

Pune
    I was always careful at filling stations.But that day I was in a hurry with tons of things going at the back of my head.
    My fuel warning lamp had lit up and decided to fill it up.I parked my car at the station and asked him to fill up for Rs 1000.
    I had my eyes on the meter.It stopped at Rs 1000 ,but the fuel volume was far less than my expectations.I asked the staff if the fuel price had suddenly shot up and he said "no,it has been Rs 54 for some time".The previous time I had filled in the diesel price was at 39 or so.Suddenly I felt a rush of blood.I knew I was already at the gateway to hell.
    I had read about such incidents on forum,but now when it had happened to me I felt the jitters.I was bit shaky.
    Now my tank had around 10 ltrs of diesel and the rest was around 25 ltrs of petrol.

WOW.
    I don't remeber the last time I had actually calculated the bill.I trusted the person at the fuel station.During my initial days with the car I used to specify the fuel type as diesel,on which they gave me a smile and said "Hume pata hai saab,waise bhi do jaaga likha hai DIESEL".
    Based on those words this time I did not insist on diesel and so they filled it with PETROL.
    However By God's grace I had not ignited the engine and drove off as usual.WHAT NEXT ????????
    I called up service guy and asked him the next steps.Calling up the tow vehicle and taking to workshop did not seem like a great idea.
    The owner of the fuel station offered me to fix it for me.Without starting up the engine his men pushed the car to a mechanic on the opposite side of the Road.
    I kept asking him whether he had handled fiat cars before and he replied he was good at it.
    Anyways,he lifted the rear seats,opened up the fuel tank lid and drained off the whole cocktail and dried it up.
    After that we filled up with arnd 5lts of diesel and got it back to the pump.Filled up with 1000 bucks of diesel and arnd 5 lts of extra fuel.
    I paid 100 bucks to the mech in addition to what the fuel station owner had promised him and drove off.

Since then irrespective of where I am ,I get out the car,confirm the fuel atleast thrice to the filling staff ,check the hose label once and then open the fuel lid.

PUNTO owners Let this be a lesson for you.
    The good part was I got to know the fuel filter and level indicator mechanism in my car :D

-Srijit
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Really scary, i always double check if they are filling diesel.

Are you not covered under Fiat RSA? Why you think its not a good idea. Normally i will never believe local mechanics to do these jobs, even I have to pay some extra money.

Please share what you learnt. :car
  3. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

Pune
    I had to drop my bro at the mumbai airport....so could not wait for RSA.
    [correction : 10lts of diesel + 18 lts of petrol ....i know it does not matter much :)]
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Scary! :shock:
    Thanks for sharing your experience, it helps to be prepared. I always make it a point to stop the car against the diesel dispensing point, but with the new multiple dispensing points, you can never tell.
    Good to know you realised the problem and didn't start the car and caused more damage. :)
  5. gReyHound

gReyHound

Bangalore
    :shock: You are one lucky guy. Good that you realized that petrol was filled up instead of diesel.
    The MJD would have hated you for that and go on a indefinite strike :)
    It is always better to tell the guys @ the bunk to fill up the tank with the proper fuel type.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Whoa! Big mistake on the part of the petrol pump wala. :eek:
    Thank God the scary experience was due to the petrol pump wala's fault. Looking at the thread title, I was afraid that something scary was done by the MJD. ::pP
  7. Indeed a scary experience. After taking delivery of my Linea i went to the nearest pump to fill it up and the guy there said
    "Sir, nayi gaadi hai kya" ( Is this a new car )
    I said yes then he said "sabse pehle petrol wala sticker lagalo aap, do teen baar diesel daala gaya hai yahan galti se" ( Paste sticker which says petrol, we've made mistake and filled diesel a couple of times )
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    OMG. I am going to paste the Petrol sticker on my car. :-(. No other option
  9. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    A petrol pump assistant almost filled Diesel in my Tjet.. His boss came running and shouting in time to prevent him from almost screwing a perfect day for me. I was saved in time.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    hahahaha Which Petrol Pump Sid. :)