1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Road Trip to Western Karnataka

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Ravi, Nov 1, 2014.

1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I never take the car out when I stay at Udupi for the surrounding places near the temple. Parking place is zilch. Either walk (very rare thanks to the hot weather and humidity) or take a rickshaw. Actually the so called parking is on the opposite side of the lane.

Enough of OT from my side. Back to travelogue
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Very nice pictures. I wonder how I would cover all these places in my life time :arghh:. But for now I have to soothe myslef by seeing your pictures :). Please keep posting more pictures to help me come out of my "notravel" sickness ;)
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Murudeswara

PANO_20141029_172829.jpg

After we finished enjoying Maravanthe Beach, started driving towards next target Murudeswara. Road was nice and with very sparse traffic, reached there at around 3.30 PM.
    Room was booked in RNS Residency, which is bang on seashore. Got the room and once we entered, balcony has excellent view of Arabian sea.
    Being on weekday, crowd on beach was very limited and I just enjoyed an hour seeing the magnificent view of sea and temple.
    Some interesting details about this place is mentioned on wiki page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murudeshwara.

Very small city, only attraction is actually the temple and huge Shiva statue.

View from Hotel Balcony

DSC_0367.jpg DSC_0372.jpg DSC_0373.jpg

Hotel RNS Residency

DSC_0382.jpg

And see where I parked my Punto :)

DSC_0381.jpg
    varunrtr, sandipan_r15, ramjn and 3 others like this.
  4. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Temple Visit
    After taking rest and refresh, it was around 6PM, we went out.
    First went to the Gopura temple. And was out by 6.30 PM.
    Then it was getting dark and went to see the statue from near. It is really huge.
    And then there is a artificial cave, where you pay Rs. 10, per head. There lots of colorful statues depicting the story about the place and nearby places like Gokarna etc.
    Headed back to hotel around 8PM, had nice dinner and went to sleep.

View of Gopura Temple

DSC_0389.jpg

Shiva Statue

DSC_0394.jpg

Cave inside statue

DSC_0413.jpg
    DSC_0406.jpg DSC_0408.jpg

Night view from beach

DSC_0398.jpg

I wasn't aware, but if you go to upper floor, by lift, in Gopura temple, you can see the full view and it will be appear as below (not from my camera).

1280px-Lord_Shiva_statue_at_Murudeshwara.jpg
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice pics Ravi. RNS Residency is a good place to stay considering its proximity to beach & temple. During my previous visit had been there. Yes, there is a lift service inside the Gopuram and it offers good view, especially during sunset. Massive statue of Lord Shiva would gracious with the sun setting in the backdrop. Charge is also pretty reasonable. Thing I liked is entire temple surroundings are maintained clean.
    Ravi likes this.
  6. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I saw few people going with lift, but since I wasn't aware and asked about temple entry, so just went in.
    Yes the view was awesome. Almost everything there is from RNS group, and now I know even the statue is built by them.
    Both temple entry was free, and due to weekday, no rush at-all. Ample time and space to enjoy.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The group belongs to R.N.Shetty, a big shot. RNSIT Engineering college in Blore, located on Uttarahalli-Mysore road also belongs to him. Btw, just while I was seeing RNS Residency pic, realised that the same architectural design has been adopted at RNSIT college as well. Infact same color too:p
  8. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    ^^and RNS motors also have same design philosophy i have observed in hosur road branch
  9. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Murudeswara in Morning
    Got up early morning at 6AM, it was lovely view.
    From red to golden yellow, the sea wave was changing its color as well. The best part was the beach was almost empty in morning, and one can take a long walk.
    We did spend sometime in morning on the beach and also enjoyed free and clean place for walk.

Slowly, after 8AM, crowd started, and we returned back to Hotel and had late breakfast at 10 AM.

DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg
    sandipan_r15, ramjn, raj29 and 5 others like this.
  10. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Visit To Jog fall and return home
    After enjoying morning on Murudeswara beach, headed back to hotel. Packed everything. Went for late breakfast at 10.15 and was ready to start the trip to return back to home at ~10.45AM.
    Reached Honnavar quickly and then diverted towards Jog Falls. From here roads were little bad at few patches, but only good thing was it was almost empty. Being on weekday and afternoon helped us. The twist-and-turns on hilly roads are always enjoyable to drive Punto.
    We stopped at one place, it was some kind of badly maintained view point, river was visible from there. Nice view of mountains and river in between.
    Started again and we reached Jog Falls by around 12.30PM. Parked the car, went inside, I saw only 3-4 people inside, so was confused if it was really Jog Falls :). Asked one guy, then came to know it was indeed Jog fall, but it was back view and actual falls is around 2-2.5KMs further.
    But the view was excellent and nice wind. Weather was hot. Spent some 15-20 mins and started again for real Jog Falls. Reached there by around 1.15 or so. Parked the car and went to view point.
    Enjoyed the scenery for 15-20 mins again there. Few people were there :). And lots of monkeys.

Nice Roads towards Jog

DSC_0487.jpg

Before Jog, a view point, River (not sure about which river it is) is visible

DSC_0489.jpg

Back view of Jog falls

DSC_0490.jpg DSC_0494.jpg

Jog Falls, lovely rainbow effect. Not much water though.

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0501.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg