1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Road Trip to Western Karnataka

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Ravi, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    With few leaves in hand, and an itch to drive, planned for 4 days trip covering western part of Karnataka.
    After reading @ramjn thread - In Rains and Mist - The Beautiful Kudremukh, Kudremukh was decided. Then with few extra days in hand, planned to visit Murudeswara as well.

Booked Thangaali Homestay in Kalsa and Hotel RNS Residency in Murudeawara.

Route Planned as below and got confirmation from Krishna about road conditions.

Map.jpg

We covered Day 1 - Bangalore to Kalsa, Day 2 - Places/falls near Kalsa, Day 3 - Kalsa to Murudeswara, via Kudremukh, and day 4 - Murudeswara to Bangalore, via Jog Falls.

We started on 27th Oct and back on 30th Oct. Planned this way to avoid any rush on Diwali vacation time.
  2. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Day 1 - Bangalore to Thangaali Homestay, Near Kalsa.

With Diwali celebration done on weekend, and packing done on Sunday night, started the trip on Monday, 27th Oct, early morning at 5.30AM.
    For a change, there was no Monday blues to go to office :).
    Reached NICE road unction in 15 mins, and started driving towards Nelmangla. It rained heavily on Sunday in Bangalore, but Monday it was just small rain on NICE road. Once taken diversion at Nelmangla towards Hasan, rain stopped and weather was pleasant. Road were wet, and drive was awsome in morning.
    First stop was Swati Delicacy for breakfast. Since we has our last Bangalore meet there, was aware about the food. It was around 7AM, and it was just opened. Had nice breakfast there and started again.

IMG_20141027_071138.jpg

The road towards Hassan is in excellent condition. Though there are lots of tolls, but was a smooth run till Hassan with almost empty and wide roads.

DSC_0003.jpg

Few windmills near Hassan.

DSC_0017.jpg

After Hassan, the roads became 2 lane, but was in very good condition. Traffic was almost nil. Filled 600 rupees Diesel at Hasan.
    Only near Belur, for few Kilometers, roads were in bad condition and traffic was little messy, but nothing much to complain about.

DSC_0022.jpg

Everything was going as per plan and on schedule. I was targeting to reach the homestay by 12.30PM.
    Reached Mudigere, and even called Homestay owner/partner Mr Harsha to confirm the route. Took right turn at Kottigehera and had a coffe, and proceeded.
    Here is the twist :(, After 16KMs or so, I had to take sharp left and U-turn, but somehow I missed that turn, and continued in same highway 66. After few KMs, found the roads were in pretty bad condition. Checked google map, and saw we were on wrong road. However, we covered quite a distance, so avoided going back and continued.

This was route I should have taken

Map_Planned.jpg
    This is actual route I took

Map_Actual.jpg
    This increased total distance by around 35 KMs, but because of bad roads, we were delayed by 1 hr, and reached Homestay at 1.30PM. But some twist in schedule and routes, makes drive more interesting.

Last 6KMs to reach Homestay was pathetic as well, see below -

DSC_0029.jpg

But as we were nearing the place, the breathtaking view of tea gardens caught our attention.

DSC_0032.jpg

Finally, homestay entry below, was as expected.

DSC_0034.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    VahanPujari, raj29, kirenh and 6 others like this.
  3. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    About Thangaali Homestay

PANO_20141028_083825.jpg

It is a nice and small homestay. There are 3 Cottages. I got the top most one and had an excellent view from sit out.
    The flooring was with red oxide, and Hot water in copper vessel. Food was nice, home cooked type. It was ethnic Malenadu food. The homestay staffs were very helpful and provided excellent service. It is rated/reviewed pretty good on Tripadvisor as well.

View of cottages

IMG_20141027_160523.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

Sit Out area

DSC_0036.jpg

View of Mountains from sit out, when weather is clean.

DSC_0052.jpg

View when mist all around.

DSC_0092.jpg

Malnedu lunch, and ethinic drink (Kasaya) in lovely Kullad

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

Awesome view of nature

DSC_0125.jpg DSC_0089.jpg DSC_0079.jpg

Punto - Taking rest after sweating it out for a long drive.

DSC_0062.jpg DSC_0057.jpg DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Nice @Ravi and the view is mesmerizing.
  5. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Real nice pics. I wish we had some places from Chennai that could be done over a weekend.
    punto_emotion likes this.
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As always, Western ghats never fails to mesmerize people. Nice pics. Loved the location of the homestay /resort. Almost every homestay's last couple of kms would be an off roading experience !

Btw, did you experience hiking or nature walk exploring western ghats?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Ravi likes this.
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Brilliant Start Ravi. Beautiful pics there. The detour you took is not great. This route is taken by the private buses take from Balehonnur to Kalasa.

It is always better to tank up to brim at Hassan town as the fuel quality is nothing great at the small towns.
    Ravi likes this.
  8. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Oh yes, it was real nature. Cold breeze and mist make these places like heaven.

Yes last few KMs of off roading makes it more interesting, or more off from real world.
    It was planned for family and relaxed vacation, but few things we did, will post details soon.

Yes and we realized after covering quite a distance, so going back was not the option. Road was kind of empty but lots of potholes, my Punto did scrap few times, but it was nothing new and I continued without checking :).
    zenwalker likes this.
  9. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Day 2 - At Homestay and exploring nearby area
    After reaching on day 1, it was raining in evening, and it was full of mist. Though we never had any plan for that day, it was just relaxing, walking around and tasting new foods, spending time and playing with daughter.
    For day 2, earlier plan was to visit Kudremukh and return back, but since I planned to go to Murudeswar and that route was same, the plan got changed after talking to staffs there.
    They suggested to me to visit Elaneer Falls instead, where only 4X4 vehicle can go. The cost was 1500 per Jeep. Initially I was thinking costly, but it was totally worth.

The weather was clear in morning. So first thing we did is explored a view point, which was a 15 mins trekking behind the homestay. I think it was called 'Gaaligandi Hills'. It was easy trek and even children can go. One staff in homestay was originally from Sikkim (settled there from 26 years though), was so helpful. He guided us there.
    To save from leeches, first think was to put Detols on the foot. And one stick was given to all of us. Reached the view point in 10-15 mins and it was excellent to see the mountains from top. Even there was one river visible, If I remember it was Netravati River. Some details about this river - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netravati_River.

Few Pictures from view point.

DSC_0162.jpg
    DSC_0180.jpg
    Our guide for morning trek, very helpful staff, and cared for kids and old age. He also helps if someone plans for hiking or trekking.

DSC_0164.jpg
    raj29, pv_krish and ramjn like this.
  10. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Visit to Elaneer Falls

DSC_0212.jpg

This falls doesn't have much information on internet, but this is a really beautiful, clean and excellent fall to visit.
    This is also known as Yelaneeru or Elaniru falls. This is on the edge of Western Ghats, near Samshe. There is a track down the valley leading to Belthangady. This fall can be accessed only with a 4X4 vehicle.

Once my plan was changed to skip going to Kudremukh, talked to homestay owner and they arranged one 4X4 Mahindra jeep. Cost was 1500.
    It took around 45 mins to reach to fall from homestay. The route itself was so nice, can't be explained in words. Initially roads were ok, but as we moved along, it took a diversion and it was full village - mud type path. Normal cars can't go for sure. There were lots of tea plantation all along.
    Best part, no one normally goes there, and it is full empty. Fall is also not very high, so easy to go under fall. It had sufficient force to do massage to your body.
    Once we reach to fall, jeep driver arranged one guide. Who helped us to go up to fall. It was 15-20 mins., steep trekk to reach to fall. Because of rains, it was slippery as well. The guide was around 55 years of age and took my daughter on his shoulder and reached very easily, I was sweating :).

There are 4-5 smalls water falls as well, so kids can enjoy anywhere. Spent some 1 hr there, thanked guide for help.
    We started by 10.30 and was back by 2.30PM to homestay. Had nice lunch and relaxed.

4X4 Jeep
    DSC_0183.jpg

Way to falls, see the greenery and paths.

DSC_0184.jpg DSC_0191.jpg DSC_0194.jpg
    DSC_0285.jpg

Pictures of falls. On main fall, didn't take much picture to save camera lens from water.
    Most of pictures from small water falls along the trek near to Elaneer falls.

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

Guide to falls, his cost is covered with 1500 you pay to homestay. Very helpful person.

DSC_0209.jpg