1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

A Road Trip to North Bihar

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Ravi, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Drive
    Leg 3 - Kolkata to Janakpur road (Pupri), North Bihar
    Distance - ~750 KM
    Start Date & Time - 22th Oct : 7 AM
    Reaching Date & Time - 23th Oct : 1AM

l3_map.JPG

Plan was to start early, but due to some other work, started bit late at 7AM. Again due to navigator's guidance, lost in Kolkata's narrow roads but because of early morning time, managed to get out without much issue and was heading towards my destination. Now I felt we are going to make it, this long trip.

From Kolkata to Durgapur, expressway is in excellent condition, mostly 6 lanes. One can drive as fast he/she wants to. Only one place, just before Durgapur, Panagarh, ther GQ is 2 lane and one might stuck in trafiic. However we were able to cross it without losing much time.
    In between, after Bardhman, one place called Shaktigarh, one can find so many eating points. It was around 9AM, and we stopped for breakfast. What a nice breakfast we had. And also some nice sweets. Took some time to relax and had nice couple of tea there.

l3_breakfast.jpg

l3_breakfast1.jpg

l3_breakfast2.jpg

After crossing Durgapur, suddenly road condition detoriates. And we were finding cities in each 10-15 KMs. Traffic was more, 2 wheelers made life misarable. And at WB-JH boarders, the truck traffic/jams increases.

l3_wb.jpg

l3_wb1.jpg

But we continued and crossed these cities and crossed to Jharkhand. My state, felt nice to see "Welcome to Jharkhand" board.

After few KMs in JH, the road condition improved and traffic reduced drastically. Jharkhand GQ has very nice views, similar to Vizag.
    Without any issue, reached Barhi at 1.30PM. From here we took diversion into Bihar.
    Crossed Tilaiya Dam, Koderma and entered ghati and reached Rajauli at around 2.30PM. Roads are not great in this section for around 10-15 KM.
    We were hungry by now and we knew this is a good place to have lunch. We stopped at one of the dhaba, called Hotel Amprapali, at 3PM and had nice lunch and 1 hr break.

My daughter trying her hand on Punto -

l3_wb_betu.jpg

At 4PM, we started for final destination. The roads from here were in top condition. Though 2 lane, but it was wider (simialr to Tirupati highway). Reached Bakhtiyarpur (~100 KM) in less than 2 hrs. Took again 30 mins break for tea/smoke. Now it was dark and still we have to cover some 250 KMs.
    Roads from Bakhtiyarpur to Barauni were also in very good condition. Crossed Ganga river, on Simaria Bridge.
    After Barauni, Zero mile, till Dalsingsarai, some 15-20 KM, road was horrible. Worst in whole journey. All were driving at 10-15KMPH speed. It was dark, and we lost some 1+ hr in this strech.
    After Dalsingsarai, roads becase good again, but it was cold and foggy. Visibility was less. This was first time I was driving in Fog, and for me it was difficult to judge the actual distance of vehicle ahead. Was tired (and of course super excited), so started driving bit slow. Reached Mushrigharari at around 10.30 PM.
    Again took break for 15 mins.
    Now I was adjusted to fog and was able to drive on good speed. Roads were in top condition (Nitish had changed Bihar, I never saw any better road conditions anywhere, very well maintained, mostly newly laid tars).
    Due to Durga Pooja, now and then we were finding pandals and people were enjoying. Some palces they blocked one side of the road, but no jams, as traffic was near to none.
    Reached Darbhanga at 11.30 PM. Again due to pooja, some roads were blocked inside the town, and we were struggling to find correct road. With multiple attempts (google navigator didn't help here), we crossed the city and touched EW corridor (4 lane highway). Then again diverted to our destination, after 1 KM on EW 4 lane highway.

Finally reached my home at just after 1 AM, my parents were awake and were happy to see us.

Total Journey Distance - 2734 KMs.
    FE - 21 KMPL.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    RoadRunner, nkrishnap, Sheen and 6 others like this.
  2. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks.

Yes, but one bridge on Rajahmundary was just 2 lane, and there was jam, because of some accident. Not big jam, some 20-25 mins spent on bridge. Got down and enjoyed the river.

Thanks. All Punto are amazing.:)
  3. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Wow Ravi, it was amazing feeling to go through this travelogue :)
    Do post pics of your Punto after the first stretch of ride, just want to see how stunning she looks even after 2700 kms of dusting :)
    I am taking my first long trip tomorrow :) almost 1200 kms to be covered over 3 days :)
  4. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Reading all the travelouges are a great source of inspiration for someone like me who has yet to start driving. Maybe, one day, I will do a similar trip in a Fiat and share my experience here on the forum! :)
    1 person likes this.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    That's a good news contrary to the popular myth. Thanks for sharing, Ravi.
  6. Where is the rest of your travelogue???:confused
  7. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes I will complete it, just been busy little.

Till then enjoy some pictures of my village, Durga Puja Celebrations there and typical meetings of seniors in village.

hardia1.jpg

hardia2.jpg

hardia3.jpg

hardia1.jpg

hardia2.jpg
    7 people like this.
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Aah...It feels so good to go back to roots. You would have felt wonderful, I'm sure. Plwase continue the travelogue and post pics of the roots/ village, they look so good.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Ravi, It is so nice to see the involvement of elders in activities. Like to see more pictures of root place if available:)
    How far is Fiat service station from the village?
    You had mentioned that the place is only 6kms from Nepal. Do people cross the border and come back frequently in that region?
    thanks
    -sunil
    1 person likes this.
  10. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Nice to know that you loved the sweets at Shaktigarh. It is a speciality of the area.
    By the way, I was at Durgapur, my hometown, when you crossed on 22/10/2012. Missed an opputunity of meeting you in person.

The roads in Bihar are in good condition now compared to the roads in Jharkhand. It was the opposite 10 years back, when Jharkhand was newly formed state and Rabri Devi was ruling Bihar.

I was amused to hear from some friends and relatives at Dhanbad and Bokaro during my recent visit in Oct' 2012, that people there regret to have been seperated from Bihar.
    2 people like this.